U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2012, 07:01 PM
 
358 posts, read 596,867 times
Reputation: 539

Advertisements

They only went to 162 in the early 60s I think. At the time there was this big question about whether it was too much. Personally, as someone who has gradually rediscovered baseball over the last 5 or so years, I love the long schedule. A baseball season really feels like a campaign, where you go into it expecting many many up and downs along the way and it is going to be a long slog...in a good way. It's one thing that really separates it from the other major sports. And to be honest, it you are into it and love the game, the season really doesn't feel that long. I tend to view each 3 or 4 game series as a single unit of time. And viewed that way, they seem to go by a nice clip.

The length of a baseball game is more problematic actually. I love the game but sometimes 9 innings takes a HUGE chunk of your day away and (depending on the game) can feel like an enternity. NBA is tops for pace of the game and giving people some of their time back.

NFL has DEFINITELY changed. Go back and watch a game from the 80s. Or go back to the 60s. It has changes the most. You watch a football game now...the action is so stilted and broken up by endless penalties, replays, commercials, and injuries. Ugh. They are killing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2012, 03:03 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,246 posts, read 10,544,808 times
Reputation: 11281
^Same can be said for close NBA games which take a half-hour to finish the last three minutes with all the shooting fouls & timeouts. Baseball could use a rule (or some other form of encouragement) to make pitchers work faster...not to mention the extended meetings on the mound, followed by the five-minue slow-walk by a skipper, all for a guy to warm up to pitch a third of an inning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2012, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,783,388 times
Reputation: 36117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
^Same can be said for close NBA games which take a half-hour to finish the last three minutes with all the shooting fouls & timeouts. Baseball could use a rule (or some other form of encouragement) to make pitchers work faster...not to mention the extended meetings on the mound, followed by the five-minue slow-walk by a skipper, all for a guy to warm up to pitch a third of an inning.

When baseball used to play double-headers, there was always a larger attendance at double headers than single games. If people gut burned out after two hours of watching baseball, why do you suppose so many people wanted to go and watch five hours of baseball?

If you like baseball, the longer the game, the better. If you hate baseball so much that you cant stand a game that lasts longer than a movie, then find another instant gratification sport to watch. Like rodeo bull-riding or something.

When I go to a game and pay $10 to park and $50 for tickets, I'm rooting for extra innings. I don't want to be shooed out of the stadium after 1:45 or so.

This whole length of game BS has nothing to do with fans. Fans love watching baseball, I never heard a fan say the games are too long. That is the mantra of the broadcasters and sportswriters, who can't get to the post-game bar quick enough at the end of their working day, and constantly belabor us with whining about their working conditions.. Fans who think the games are too long can just go home when they get bored.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-31-2012 at 08:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2012, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
41,983 posts, read 18,808,289 times
Reputation: 18950
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When baseball used to play double-headers, there was always a larger attendance at double headers than single games. If people gut burned out after two hours of watching baseball, why do you suppose so many people wanted to go and watch five hours of baseball?

If you like baseball, the longer the game, the better. If you hate baseball so much that you cant stand a game that lasts longer than a movie, then find another instant gratification sport to watch. Like rodeo bull-riding or something.
I would generally regard the above as descriptive of my attitude, but last night was an exception. The Giants-Mets and A's-Rays games were played simultaneously last night, both went into extra innings and the A's game was especially frustrating because the ninth and tenth innings took forever plus 30 minutes. The A's loaded the bases in each of those innings, but failed to score. The Rays needed 30 pitches in the ninth and another 30 in the tenth to record these shutout innings. I wonder what is the record for the most pitches thrown in a shutout inning?

Anyway, I stayed awake long enough to see the Giants lose, but the A's lost me in the top of the 14th when I fell asleep. Thus I missed the 36 pitches required to bring up Weeks to hit the game winning sac fly in the 15th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2012, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,783,388 times
Reputation: 36117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I would generally regard the above as descriptive of my attitude, but last night was an exception. The Giants-Mets and A's-Rays games were played simultaneously last night, both went into extra innings and the A's game was especially frustrating because the ninth and tenth innings took forever plus 30 minutes. The A's loaded the bases in each of those innings, but failed to score. The Rays needed 30 pitches in the ninth and another 30 in the tenth to record these shutout innings. I wonder what is the record for the most pitches thrown in a shutout inning?

Anyway, I stayed awake long enough to see the Giants lose, but the A's lost me in the top of the 14th when I fell asleep. Thus I missed the 36 pitches required to bring up Weeks to hit the game winning sac fly in the 15th.
Time of your As game was 5:09, which I agree could be excessive for some fans trapped in the ballpark. But there were only 12,000 at the game, the rest of you could go on about your business while the game was on. Maybe the answer is more day games, so people could enjoy the 14th inning while eating supper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2012, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,447 posts, read 2,310,023 times
Reputation: 1364
I really enjoy baseball, it is my second favorite sport to watch after football. But count me in those who think the season is too long. With football each game is a special event to be cherished. With baseball, the season just becomes a bit of a grind. With most sports you gain interest as the season progresses, but I sometimes find myself losing interest as an MLB season progresses b/c each season is just so long. I think it sometimes intimidates casual fans.

Another factor pointing towards a shorter season is weather. They are the "boys of summer". They start with spring training and end with the fall classic, so pretty much the game should always be played in warm weather. By cutting the season down a little they could fit the expanded playoffs in and still be done by the end of October. It is just ridiculous for baseball to be going into November.

And finally, cutting the season shorter would cut down on the overlap with football which, in my opinion would help baseball. Football is king in America and baseball loses when it competes head to head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top