U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 02:14 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,119 posts, read 7,573,746 times

Advertisements

Lost last night, only 3 1/2 back though. Anyone know how far back they were at the All-Star Break?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 04:47 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,804,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Lost last night, only 3 1/2 back though. Anyone know how far back they were at the All-Star Break?
43-43 9 back of the Rangers and a 22% chance at the playoffs

Old 08-02-2012, 05:29 PM

41,082 posts, read 18,595,226 times
Concerns about Josh Reddick...

Reddick is slumping right now, in his last ten games he is 6 for 42 and has a .181 OBA for that period while striking out 12 times, including four in one game against the Rays.

His slump isn't so much my concern, batters slump, but rather the impact the slump is having on Reddick, and by extention the impact this will have on the team.

Two things...
1) The A's are a very young team, 20 of the 25 on the roster right now are under the age of 30, nine of those 25 or younger.

2) The clubhouse leader of the team is clearly Reddick who is one of those 25 year olds, and a not especially mature one. Reddick's leadership consists of his serving as the self appointed King of Pranks along with a "who gives a fug what anyone else thinks?' dynamic regarding traditional baseball deportment and appearances.

Each time the A's post game hero is being interviewed on tv after a win, Reddick feels obligated to disrupt the interview by attacking the hero with a shaving cream filled towel. He has recently escalated this to first the shaving cream, followed later by a Gatorade dumping.

Reddick wears a mouthguard while on the field, and he is making a fetish out of grossing everyone out by dangling the spit dripping piece from the side of his mouth between pitches when he is batting, between plays when he is in the field....or as I suspect, whenever he thinks the camera is on him. I'm sure he has been told that it is disgusting to look at, and I think that motivates him to do it more and more often.

In the slump he is currently experiencing, he has been increasingly acting out after making his out, slamming and kicking stuff around. He is an emotional guy.

My experience is that the Reddick leadership style is only acceptable when things are going well. It is an underdog mentality, one which radiates the message..."We look and act less like a real pro ball team than anyone, yet we are winning." Outlaws, a chip off the old Raiders block. However when things are not going well, clubs with this sort of leadership tend to fall apart and not recover.

I do not look for any intervention from Billy Beane to try and alter the dynamic, Beane does not recognize intangibles as any sort of factor which he can control, nor does he believe intangibles count in terms of winning and losing. And he may well be right, it isn't something subject to exacting measurements. Who can say whether a club's high spirits are a product of winning or their winning is a product of their high spirits?

But if they do count for anything, what the A's have now is more likely to hurt than help in the long run.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:31 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,427,566 times
That was my issue with the Giambi-led team also. Everyone was charmed by their laid-back, jock-boy attitudes in the locker room, but when it came time to execute fundamentals in crucial playoff series, they were too loose and it showed, particularly against the business-like Yankees.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:22 AM

Damnest thing....

Anyone who watched last night's A's game after reading my above post, would have justifiably concluded that I was insane.

None of the things which I identified as problems were present.

Reddick was the hero of the game with a home run and...

For the first time Reddick either played without his mouthguard, or finally decided that it belonged in his mouth rather than dangling from it, because it was never visible.

Reddick was the post game interview, and instead of his usual wisecracking self, he was serious from start to finish, he even apologized in a way for his poor behavior during his woes...and...

....no one came out during the interview and smashed his face with shaving cream or dumped Gatorade on him

It was sort of spooky, as though someone on the A's read my post and was inspired to change things.

I think the most likely explanation is that Reddick's slump humbled him and he wlll need another period of success before he feels free to be so casual again.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:25 PM

The A's will be flashing the pride of their minor league system tonight. Starting this evening's game against the Blue Jays will be Dan Straily, right hander, making his ML debut. Straily has morphed from a pitcher with not especially high expectations, to the Great Green and Gold Hope. In 138 minor league innings this year, split between Double and Triple A, Straily has fanned 175 batters. His ERA in six starts at Sacramento has been 1.36. In his four minor league seasons Straily has averaged 9.7 Ks per nine innings and 2.8 walks.

Straily was a 24th round draft choice in 2009, ranked way, way behind Jarrod Parker, Tommy Milone and Ryan Cook, all of whom are now doing pretty well in the bigs. His development has been a big surprise.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:44 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,119 posts, read 7,573,746 times
He won't be throwing to Suzuki, he was sent to the Nationals, I know his defence wasn't always great, and his bat has completely disappeared but I thought he handled the young pitching staff well...

Old 08-03-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
He won't be throwing to Suzuki, he was sent to the Nationals, I know his defence wasn't always great, and his bat has completely disappeared but I thought he handled the young pitching staff well...
Plus he was the star of the A's best tv ad in years, the one where he is in couples therapy with a pitcher.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:52 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,363,594 times
Quote:
Call me crazy, but I actually agree with the move. Maybe its to free up cap space to get a decent SS?

I've been hearing and reading rumors that Yunel Escobar of the Blue Jays is clearing waivers right now. Perhaps Beane is trying to get a decent enough SS on the cheap.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:01 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,804,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The A's will be flashing the pride of their minor league system tonight. Starting this evening's game against the Blue Jays will be Dan Straily, right hander, making his ML debut. Straily has morphed from a pitcher with not especially high expectations, to the Great Green and Gold Hope. In 138 minor league innings this year, split between Double and Triple A, Straily has fanned 175 batters. His ERA in six starts at Sacramento has been 1.36. In his four minor league seasons Straily has averaged 9.7 Ks per nine innings and 2.8 walks.

Straily was a 24th round draft choice in 2009, ranked way, way behind Jarrod Parker, Tommy Milone and Ryan Cook, all of whom are now doing pretty well in the bigs. His development has been a big surprise.
He was pitching in A-ball last year and not particularly effectively.
He struck out 23% of hitters while walking about 6%

Then something changed.
This season in AA and AAA he's striking out over 30% of hitters while walking 7%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball