U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:41 AM

4,245 posts, read 6,047,380 times

Advertisements

If baseball and the players really want to get tough on performance enhancing drugs I have two solutions. 1. If a player tests positive make the contract voidable by the tearm. 2. For every 50 game suspension, dock a team a set number of winds. No way anyone would take drug withs stakes this high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 02:18 PM

52,155 posts, read 41,971,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
If baseball and the players really want to get tough on performance enhancing drugs I have two solutions. 1. If a player tests positive make the contract voidable by the tearm. 2. For every 50 game suspension, dock a team a set number of winds. No way anyone would take drug withs stakes this high.
Baseball had to clean up or face outside problems. So they did it *just enough*.

With the salaries involved you just juice and if you get caught you get paid your contract anyway.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:34 PM

1,483 posts, read 2,922,967 times
This guy was using from day one of his return. I knew it then, age equals degradation not improvement. I bet he was desparate money, before his return to baseball, he shot up for high paying contract because he knew that this was his last shot at millions so he chanced being caught. Matter of fact, I would not be surprised if TO shot up. One shot at getting a big contract, i would chance it too.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:40 PM

41,344 posts, read 18,657,581 times
When we write that MLB needs to clean up the game, I suspect most people have the owners in mind, but the MLBPA has been an incredibly obstructive body in this dynamic.

MLB cannot simply issue edicts regarding PEDs policing, they have to negotiate agreements with the union. It is a case of the very people doing the cheating, having a big say so on how strongly they may be watched. I suspect that if Congress had not become involved in 2005 and threatened to do the policing themselves, neither MLB nor MLBPA would have come up with very effective measures.

Remember, when Ryan Braun was charged with his violation, it was attorneys for MLBPA who defended him and got him off the hook with the chain of custody defense. I think it is obvious that the MLBPA mentality is not....we must do whatever it takes to clean up the game, rather it appears to be ...the players uber alles, including the integrity of the game.

MLB deserves whatever slams comes it way for their years of pretending that nothing was going on of which they were aware, but let us spread the blame equally.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:04 PM

41,344 posts, read 18,657,581 times
Colon's substitute, Tyson Ross, wasn't too good today against Tampa Bay. He went six innings, giving up nine hits, two walks and five earned runs.

It probably would not have made a difference if Colon had been there, the A's lost 5-0, getting shutout by Alex Cobb who went the route giving up four hits, two walks and striking out eight. Maybe Colon's enhanced testosterone levels would have radiated a macho aura which would have inspired more scoring by the A's.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:30 AM

8,163 posts, read 13,214,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Well Bartolo Colon is such a muscular, in shape guy it was really obvious that he was using...oh wait.

Seriously though, his resurgance at his age was a pretty clear indicator though. This isn't surprising at all.
Sorry dude but I have to kick your theory to the curb. If you notice lately, athletes from all sports have been taking trips to places like Germany for similiar procedures. Advances in medical technology can always extend careers and sometimes they can be the rebirth of a career but results will only last till age runs its course. Realize though that everyone is on a different time table. Jaime Moyer is at the end of his career now but he is in his late forties. Colon was never an in-shape guy and you don't necessarily have to be. Weight lifting can actually hurt a career especially flexibility but standard exercises and running/jogging can keep a pitcher in the proper shape frequently. You also have to realize that many quality pitchers generate their strength from their legs,not their shoulders/arms. Nolan Ryan is a prime example of this. So no, Colon having a successful comeback with the Yankees doesn't mean that something was up. It just meant that the tendinitis and arthritis that he felt was gone which gave him new life but like players of all ages, he got greedy and wanted to be even better. Age has nothing to do with that.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:11 AM

72,203 posts, read 83,931,490 times
and isn't there a song with the words "when we they ever learn?"

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball