U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 01:55 PM

48,184 posts, read 45,495,400 times

Advertisements

This is my own rendition, for my team, the Seattle Mariners. I was inspired by the Pirates thread.

1995: First time the M's ever went to the playoffs. Brian McKnight came out with the album "I Remember You", in August of all months. Ken Griffey Jr returned from his wrist injury and the M's would go on to the ALDS, beat NY in what I call "the moment". Oklahoma City bombing. Mickey Mantle died. Yolanda Zaldivar was convicted of murdering Selena. OJ Simpson was found not guilty of murdering Nicole Brown-Simpson and Ronald Goldman. Hurricane Opal made landfall in Florida. NATO airstrikes in Bosnia.

1997: Second return to the playoffs. Ken Griffey Jr hits 56 home runs. Mother Teresa and Princess Diana both died. The last 10th generation Ford Thunderbird rolled off of the assembly line in Lorain,OH. R Kelly's "I Believe I Can Fly" began 1997 at the top of the R&B charts.

2000: The M's make the Wild Card. Ken Griffey Jr was traded to the Reds. Erykah Badu released the song "Bag Lady". Outkast released the song "Ms. Jackson". The Kursk(Russian submarine) sank. The Summer Olympics were held in Sydney,Australia. Elian Gonzalez is returned back to Cuba to be with his father. Former President George W. Bush is elected President. The creator of the Charlie Brown(Charles Schultz) died. Rugrats In Paris The Movie went into theaters.

2001: The M's get Ichiro, win 116 games, make it to the playoffs, the last time they were ever in the playoffs. Seattle Mardi Gras riots followed by the Seattle earthquake. Usher's "U Remind Me" is at the top of the R&B charts, Aliyah died in a plane crash. The World Trade Center was attacked via two airplanes flying into the towers in one of the worst terrorist attacks in the world, on September 11, 2001.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 03:46 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,781,299 times
...and as a Mariner fan as long as they have existed, this is a sad, short list. It is an amazing list of talent the Mariners have had in their history that have been incredibly successful...elsewhere.

But, oh my goodness, what a team when Griffey, Edgar, The Bone, Tino, Dan Wilson, Joey Cora, Luis Sojo, A-rod were playing, Johnson wins the Cy Young...fun, fun, fun team to watch.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
...and as a Mariner fan as long as they have existed, this is a sad, short list. It is an amazing list of talent the Mariners have had in their history that have been incredibly successful...elsewhere.

But, oh my goodness, what a team when Griffey, Edgar, The Bone, Tino, Dan Wilson, Joey Cora, Luis Sojo, A-rod were playing, Johnson wins the Cy Young...fun, fun, fun team to watch.
I've been a Mariners fan since the days of Griffey. I'm a displaced Mariners fan in the Atlanta area myself. It brings a different meaning to being a Mariners fan. The M's are the only AL team that hasn't appeared in the World Series. The Braves have won it at least once(it should have been the M's that year, NOT Atlanta).

I get extremely giddy whenever I watch this video:
1995 Season End Highlights - YouTube

It is really sad. The M's build a good team, and then poof, they're gone. In 1996, Luis Sojo and Tino went to New York. In 1998, Randy Johnson went to Houston, Joey Cora went to Cleveland. In 2000, Ken Griffey Jr. went to the Reds, then the Kingdome was destroyed. After the 2000 ALCS, A-rod went to Texas.

The last time the M's were in the playoffs, 9-11 had happened, I was in my sophomore year of high school. Microsoft XP was released. The Patriot Act was signed into law.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:19 PM

40,993 posts, read 18,573,926 times
Hey Green-Mariner..

I read that "Shipwrecked" book you mentioned in another thread. It was informative but suffered from the problem typical of books written by jourmalists...lack of cohesion and organization. The author really had an ax to grind and the result is numerous contradictions. He is trashing the Mariner front office for their failure to retain certain players in one chapter, and thrashing them for their failure to trade them in another. It is the classic 20/20 hindsight book. When you already know how a deal worked out, it is far easier to argue how obviously stupid or brilliant it was. And it is always easier to be generous with signing money when it is someone else's money. Wells seems like one of those people who is annoyed by the idea that the people who own pro sports teams, wish to realize a profit from those businesses.

I do not write this to rehabilitate Woodward, Bavasi, Armstrong or Lincoln (Wells' favorite whipping boys in the book), but rather to point out that while they deserve criticism, they deserve fair criticism.

Still, I enjoyed learning the inside history of the team.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Hey Green-Mariner..

I read that "Shipwrecked" book you mentioned in another thread. It was informative but suffered from the problem typical of books written by jourmalists...lack of cohesion and organization. The author really had an ax to grind and the result is numerous contradictions. He is trashing the Mariner front office for their failure to retain certain players in one chapter, and thrashing them for their failure to trade them in another. It is the classic 20/20 hindsight book. When you already know how a deal worked out, it is far easier to argue how obviously stupid or brilliant it was. And it is always easier to be generous with signing money when it is someone else's money. Wells seems like one of those people who is annoyed by the idea that the people who own pro sports teams, wish to realize a profit from those businesses.

I do not write this to rehabilitate Woodward, Bavasi, Armstrong or Lincoln (Wells' favorite whipping boys in the book), but rather to point out that while they deserve criticism, they deserve fair criticism.

Still, I enjoyed learning the inside history of the team.
I've never read the book, but I've heard of it. From what I heard, some of the upper level people in the organization were only in it to make as much money as they could, without a World Series, basically using the M's as some kind of money tree.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:12 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,781,299 times
Green-Mariner, thanks so much for that video! Loved it, loved it.

I too, am a misplaced Mariner fan (Seahawk, Coug, and cough, cough, Huskie fan) in TN. Did you know the only MLB that exists are the Braves? So it seems here...

Old 08-24-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Green-Mariner, thanks so much for that video! Loved it, loved it.

I too, am a misplaced Mariner fan (Seahawk, Coug, and cough, cough, Huskie fan) in TN. Did you know the only MLB that exists are the Braves? So it seems here...
I'm also a Sounders fan.

I was a Mariners fan even as other school kids laughed at me for it.

It does seem as if the Braves are the only team that exist. If you're a Mariners fan like me, you get made fun of, or you get that "Bless your heart" look. If you're a Yankees, alot of people will hate that. There is a hate relationship with the New York Yankees here in the Atlanta area(at least among born and raised Atlanta residents). I know some people who hate the Twins because of the 1991 World Series.

I think being a Mariners fan is even harder than being a Cubs fan. The Cubs are what people call "lovable losers". The Mariners, in my opinion, seem to be forgotten alot, unless they are in the playoffs. The fact that the M's have finished last so many times, and have never been to the World Series(the only AL team with this dubious distinction), there has to be alot of loyalty and willingness to stick it out and wait for a good season. The 1990s and early 2000s was our time in the sun.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:55 PM

I think one tragedy about the M's is not only subpar front office, but also being in a division with teams that have traditionally dominated the AL West. When Seattle and Toronto were inaugurated into the MLB in 1977, this is how it worked. Toronto finished last in the AL East and Seattle finished next to last in the AL West(Oakland finished last). Kansas City dominated in the late 1970s and part of the 1980s. In the 1980s, it was Oakland and California. It was like that for Toronto. The Yankees dominated the 70s and part of the early 80s. Once the Yankees fell in the dark ages, Toronto started to come out on top, competing with Boston and Detroit.

To give a better idea, I will listen the teams that went to the playoffs from 1977-1993.
AL West: Kansas City Royals(1977, 1978, 1980, 1981+, 1984, 1985**), California Angels(1979, 1982, 1986), Oakland Athletics (1981+, 1988, 1989**, 1990, 1992), Chicago White Sox (1983, 1993), Minnesota Twins (1987**, 1991**).

AL East: New York Yankees (1977**,1978**,1980,1981+), Baltimore Orioles (1979, 1983**), Detroit Tigers(1984**,1987), Milwaukee Brewers (1981+,1982), Boston Red Sox (1986, 1988, 1990), Toronto Blue Jays(1985, 1989, 1991, 1992**,1993**).

The Yankees went into its dark ages, giving Toronto an advantage. Kansas City and Oakland have been the biggest players of the AL West between 1977 and 1993, with honorable mentions going to Minnesota, California, and Chicago.

**World Champions
+1981 strike.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:50 PM

What will it take to get the M's to the World Series?

Old 10-21-2012, 01:36 PM

I have reflected on a few things regarding the M's. I made a few blog entries about them.

MY 90's.: The night where everybody scored: The Seattle Mariners' first playoff appearance, part 1.

MY 90's.: The Double: What it means for Seattle, The Mariners, and baseball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball