U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 12:52 PM

8,113 posts, read 12,681,138 times

Advertisements

I couldn't find the official video, but Load Up The Bases by Whiskey Falls is on our Little League playlist for warm-ups, in-between innings, etc.

Whiskey Falls Load up the bases Lyrics - YouTube

and this one, even though it's not really about baseball, it does reference it. Trace Adkins' Swing

Trace Adkins - Swing - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 09:12 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,736,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
A few of the ones that come to mind have already been mentioned ^ (The Greatest, Centerfield).

This is one we have on our playlist for Little League Games:

Alabama - The Cheap Seats - YouTube Alabama: Cheap Seats
I was about to mention this song but tgbwc beat me to it. The song is written from the viewpoint of minor league fans. One interesting line mentions a player whose name they cannot pronounce.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:44 AM

40,857 posts, read 18,557,746 times
My favorite baseball song was "It Makes A Fellow Proud To be An Astro" the private anthem of the 1969 Houston Astros, revealed to us by Jim Bouton in "Ball Four." It was set to the tune of Tom Lehrer's "It makes A Fellow Proud To be A Soldier."

Quote:
Now, the Astros are a team that likes to go out on the town,
We like to drink and fight and **** till curfew comes around
Then it's time to make the trek,
We better be back to buddy's check,
It makes a fellow proud to be an Astro.

Now, Edwards is our catcher and he's really No. 1,
Dave Bristol said he drinks too much and calls some long home runs,
But we think John will be all right,
If we keep him in his room at night,

Now, our pitching staff's composed of guys who think they're 'pretty cool,'
With a case of Scotch, a greenie and an old beat-up whirlpool,
We'll make the other hitters laugh,
Then calmly break their bats in half,

Now, Harry Walker is the one that manages this crew,
He doesn't like it when we drink and fight and smoke and screw,
But when we win our game each day,
Then what the **** can Harry say?
In light of today's exhibition

If you are unfamiliar with the tune...

Tom Lehrer - It Makes a Fellow Proud to Be a Soldier - YouTube

Old 08-26-2012, 07:49 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
My favorite baseball song was "It Makes A Fellow Proud To be An Astro" the private anthem of the 1969 Houston Astros, revealed to us by Jim Bouton in "Ball Four." It was set to the tune of Tom Lehrer's "It makes A Fellow Proud To be A Soldier."
]
Thanks, Id always wondered how that went. A classic.

The Meatloaf classic "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" features a longish segment of play by play and baseball video (cue into 3:40), which earns the song a place in the PA repertoire of out local stadium. It's, umm, about getting to first base.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfkXQKZVkeg

Last edited by jtur88; 08-26-2012 at 08:00 PM..

Old 08-28-2012, 03:08 PM

5,222 posts, read 5,088,669 times
My brother wrote a tune titled "New Man from the Bullpen". It got played a few times at Frederick Keys games, but we never heard any more about it from them.

The tag line was, "There's a new man from the bullpen, playing hardball with my heart,".

Old 08-28-2012, 08:10 PM

5,773 posts, read 12,317,699 times
The late Skip Battin had one or two minor hits in the 50s as half of the duo Skip & Flip. He was also a member of the Byrds in their alt. country years, playing bass. The solo LP that this song comes from was released around 1972. You just don't hear enough good songs about the Browns...

Skip Battin - St Louis Browns.wmv - YouTube

Old 08-29-2012, 07:16 AM

12,199 posts, read 10,411,824 times
Not in the same vein you guys are thinking, but still a great baseball song:

Main Source (ft Rob Swift) - Just A Friendly Game Of Baseball (HD) - YouTube

Old 08-29-2012, 09:02 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Somehow, "Sweet Caroline" and "YMCA" became baseball songs, but I have no idea why that happened.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:19 PM

40,857 posts, read 18,557,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Somehow "YMCA" became a baseball song, but I have no idea why that happened.
I know.

"YMCA" dates to the April 9th, 1996 Royals -Yankees game in New York. The game was disrupted by a snow storm in the fifth inning and the players were pulled from the field. The grounds crew rushed out to put the tarp in place and while they were working, the pa system stared playing "YMCA" The members of the ground crew began to dance and strut around in time to the music as they finished their work. The crowd loved it and started joining in with the familiar alphabet choreography.

It became a regular thing for the grounds crew at Yankee Stadium, they would drag the infield after the fifth and "YMCA" would come on and....party time.

It spread. That same year the atrocious Mount Davis was being added to the Oakland Coliseum and work continued on it even during A's games. Then the A's sound system played "YMCA' between innings and a bunch of the construction workers formed a chorus line out in the open and lip synched along while doing the choreography....which spread to the fans...which became a regular tradition at all home day games that year.

I've read the explanation as to how "Sweet Caroline" became a Red Sox standard, but it amounts to nothing more than the woman in charge of picking what got played at Fenway, selecting it and it becaming popular with the fans. Not much of an explanation, so maybe no one actually knows why it caught on with the fans.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:00 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,698,958 times
This is what the Pirates play after every win at PNC.

Pittsburgh Pirates - A New Pirate Generation - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball