Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 08:15 AM

17,071 posts, read 21,731,370 times

Advertisements

Of the players gone, I really will only miss Gonzales. Hopefully with Crawford permanently gone that will give Nava a job again! I really like Nava's attitude and devotion to do whatever he can to better the team.......plus he gets on base a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 08:31 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,362,370 times
The good news for me personally is that next year we won't have to pitch to Gonzales 70 or 80 times.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,008,007 times
Does it say something good or something bad that the new Red Sox management team is blowing up their first long range program before it has had even one season of functioning? Remember, the Gonzalez and Crawford signings were long term deals, the building blocks around which their championship production would be crafted. A stumble coming out of the gate and poof! Don't try and repair the malfunction, trash the whole thing and start over.

One view might be....at least they aren't the sort to insist that their failure wasn't really a failure and keep pushing the samed unsuccessful strategy.

Another view might be....These guys hit the panic button when they didn't get instant gratification, they have no patience and their next big program isn't likely to be any better than their previosu one if this is how they go about their business.

Absense of patience is the major theme of this blockbuster trade. The Red Sox dented their bumper and immediately sold the car for scrap. The Dodgers came into a lot of money and seem willing to spend limitless amounts in order to win right away.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:28 AM

17,071 posts, read 21,731,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Does it say something good or something bad that the new Red Sox management team is blowing up their first long range program before it has had even one season of functioning? Remember, the Gonzalez and Crawford signings were long term deals, the building blocks around which their championship production would be crafted. A stumble coming out of the gate and poof! Don't try and repair the malfunction, trash the whole thing and start over.

One view might be....at least they aren't the sort to insist that their failure wasn't really a failure and keep pushing the samed unsuccessful strategy.

Another view might be....These guys hit the panic button when they didn't get instant gratification, they have no patience and their next big program isn't likely to be any better than their previosu one if this is how they go about their business.

Absense of patience is the major theme of this blockbuster trade. The Red Sox dented their bumper and immediately sold the car for scrap. The Dodgers came into a lot of money and seem willing to spend limitless amounts in order to win right away.

I took the story as this: Gonzales was what they wanted and they had to take the others in order to make the deal happen.....0ne gem, 3 cubic zirconiums!

Old 08-26-2012, 10:48 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,080,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

the fact is the Sox were about 170 mil in payroll because of these signings, about 50 mil more than where they were previously.

and I think the ownership group wasn't comfortable at that number

Old 08-26-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
the fact is the Sox were about 170 mil in payroll because of these signings, about 50 mil more than where they were previously.

and I think the ownership group wasn't comfortable at that number
I think that they would have been comfortable at that number had the club been winning.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:06 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,299,351 times
Great moves! At that sametime, i have 2 questions...what was theo thinking and what are dodgers thinking? Theo contracting large lengthy contracts was a bad move. I am fan of rewards vs paying high annuals. Dodgers have a chance fly high or dive bomb. Gonzo is gtg. Crawford is good, after surgery, but you have wonder if his swagger is back...time will tell. Beckett is the wildcard. Huge rewards or sunk costs. I am anxious to see the rewards. At a minimum, i am happy they are out of Boston

Old 08-26-2012, 03:20 PM

14,643 posts, read 14,539,391 times
That's an awful lot of payroll to take on just to snag Adrian Gonzales. I guess with their upcoming TV deal, the Dodgers will be able to absorb bad contracts without taking a financial hit just like the Yankees.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:54 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,678,079 times
Beckett has bounced back and forth between good years and bad years since signing with the Red Sox. His 2011 was fantastic. Crawford, to be fair, had one bad year followed by an injured year. If he bounces back in 2013, he could be a great addition to the Dodgers.

But, let's not kid ourselves. This deal was about getting Gonzalez and about Dodgers ownership wanting to show that they want to win immediately. Get the fan base riled up.

As for Boston, this was a salary dump and if ANY prospect pans out, they'll be fortunate. I haven't spent time looking into it yet, but I wonder what Boston will buy in the offseason. They'll likely use the free agent market to replace some of these players if they want to remain competitive in the AL East. I just don't know what is out there.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
I just don't know what is out there.
Melky will be out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball