U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:57 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,748,753 times

Advertisements

This thread may be a bit premature. Considering some teams that have not been mentioned, the A's may make the playoffs and the Angels may not. The Yankees also have an excellent chance to finish in third place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 01:36 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,037,887 times
I think in the AL the Angels are the biggest disappointment. I thought they would be a juggernaut, with the acquisition of Pujols, CJ Wilson and calling up Trout (who is ridiculous). With Trumbo and a healthy Morales, they have a lineup that can potentially put up a lot of runs. Weaver was my pre-season pick for Cy Young both last year and this year and he's living up to those expectations, but Dan Haren went from a solid #1/#2 starter material to a liability. I think Boston has played better than their record indicates, but that's baseball.

I'm a Phillies fan, and while I am disappointed in their first half performance, I wasn't exactly surprised. I thought we might have one more year at the top of the division, but we were an aging team with some major injuries going into the season. I thought Miami made the moves necessary to be a real contender this year, so I think they might be the biggest disappointment in the NL.

I think the Nats rotation is the biggest surprise. Strasburg was their best pitcher going into this season, but there was a big question mark about what kind of pitcher he was going to be post surgery over the course of the season. Zimmerman, Gonzalez and Jackson were supposed to be above average major league pitchers and Detwiler was supposed to be serviceable but they are all putting up ace-quality starts. Their bullpen is solid as well.

The Nats have scored a pedestrian 550 runs so far this season. They're a middle-of-the-road offense, yet they sport the best record in baseball because their pitching has given up a league-low 450 runs.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Status: "Come to Texas. We still have plastic straws!" (set 15 days ago)

47,221 posts, read 37,275,333 times
My picks for most disappointing teams are these:

1. Phillies - So much talent, high expectations; just couldn't keep it going.
2. Red Sox - We all thought they could contend with that roster. Then things just fell apart.
3. Marlins - Lots of hype with a new manager and a new ballpark, but the team underperformed.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:40 PM

2,244 posts, read 3,476,056 times
Cleveland is a big disappointment, which is saying something considering I had them tabbed at about 78-84. They quit in late July for no apparent reason, and have had about as awful a past six weeks as any team, ever. Their front office activity at the deadline -- getting Brent Lillibridge -- accomplished nothing other than infuriating the already testy fan base. There's not anyone in the organization from the owner on down that I'm particularly interested in keeping at this point. It's a debacle. Blow the whole thing up and start over.

Last edited by tribecavsbrowns; 08-30-2012 at 03:46 PM..

Old 08-31-2012, 08:54 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,624,299 times
I'm casting a vote for the Mets--because they were playing so well before the All-Star break. (At the same time, I acknowledge a lack of depth. When you're putting your full reliance on your regulars, and there's a rash of injuries, well...there goes your season!)

Old 08-31-2012, 02:12 PM

3,446 posts, read 5,819,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Cleveland is a big disappointment, which is saying something considering I had them tabbed at about 78-84. They quit in late July for no apparent reason, and have had about as awful a past six weeks as any team, ever. Their front office activity at the deadline -- getting Brent Lillibridge -- accomplished nothing other than infuriating the already testy fan base. There's not anyone in the organization from the owner on down that I'm particularly interested in keeping at this point. It's a debacle. Blow the whole thing up and start over.
Not that I have kept up, but the Indians had some trouble hitting against the Astros, so...it seems like the bats never showed up this season.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:53 PM

13,785 posts, read 23,873,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I know quite a few folks who agree with you, but I didn't really think they'd go better than 70 or so wins this season, so I was actually a bit more surprised by the first half of their season.

But I don't think I agree about blowing it up and starting over, unless you have a talent evaluator that really is superb. And from what I've seen of Tribe deals the past few seasons...

Old 08-31-2012, 04:02 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,849,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'm casting a vote for the Mets--because they were playing so well before the All-Star break. (At the same time, I acknowledge a lack of depth. When you're putting your full reliance on your regulars, and there's a rash of injuries, well...there goes your season!)
Disagree with the Mets being disappointing. Mets fans should be happy that that poor collection of players managed to look respectable as long as they did.

They just aren't a good team right now.

I'd be surprised if more than a few players on this team were part of any future competitive teams.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:28 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,317,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Disagree with the Mets being disappointing. Mets fans should be happy that that poor collection of players managed to look respectable as long as they did.

They just aren't a good team right now.

I'd be surprised if more than a few players on this team were part of any future competitive teams.
I agree

Old 09-01-2012, 07:36 AM

41,529 posts, read 18,708,539 times
I would imagine the Dodgers are a bit disappointed a week into their BIG TRADE. Since investing a quarter of a billion bucks for their new personnel, LA is 2-5, .285 ball. (If the Dodgers continue to play .285 ball the rest of the way, they will end up 78-84)

Adrian Gonzalez has put up a .207/.281/.310 line since joining the club, homering in his first at bat but being a wash since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball