U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 02:31 PM

40,853 posts, read 18,557,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
regardless of how little their team deserves a playoff spot, .
Could you define what is involved in a team "deserving" a playoff spot as opposed to earning one by meeting the prevailing criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 02:36 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,902,275 times
I'm rooting for the Nats. I hate seeing the same old teams win year after year. Love it when a team that's always been at the bottom suddenly starts winning like crazy.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:03 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,542,345 times
I'm rooting for the Reds and only the Reds.

Everyone else can go get a bad case of gout.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:00 PM

40,853 posts, read 18,557,746 times
As always I am supporting the Giants and A's, although I do not want another Bay Bridge Series. It wasn't just the earthquake, it was too intramural, no villain to give it all drama.

As for who else reaches the post season, I'm mostly indifferent save for hoping the Yankees and Dodgers both miss the party. As a Giants fan I would be against LA in any event, but this year I'm especially looking forward to the Dodgers being locked out of October because it will mean every single article written about their 2012 season will begin with "Despite the enormous expenditure of money ....."

Old 09-11-2012, 05:07 PM

2,675 posts, read 951,510 times
The Giants are my team, but I also cheer for the A's across the Bay. I,too, don't want another Bay Bridge Series, but if it were to come to that, Giants all the way.

Quote:
As for who else reaches the post season, I'm mostly indifferent save for hoping the Yankees and Dodgers both miss the party.
Ditto.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:46 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,285,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkwnd View Post
That is the best I can hope for. I am sure you would never want anything good for the city you love to tear down so much.
WHat's annoying is the Phillies are only alive for a playoff spot because they added that 2nd wildcard

Old 09-11-2012, 05:48 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkwnd View Post
That is the best I can hope for. I am sure you would never want anything good for the city you love to tear down so much.
I think what will hurt the phillies is the Cards and Dodgers play each other this week so either one will stay ahead of the Phillies in the standings

Old 09-11-2012, 05:54 PM

12,199 posts, read 10,411,824 times
Reds, Nats, A's, Orioles...is this the parity Bud Selig tries to sell to the potential baseball fan? Or are we finally witnessing a financial "regression to the mean"?

Old 09-11-2012, 11:49 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Could you define what is involved in a team "deserving" a playoff spot as opposed to earning one by meeting the prevailing criteria?
This is really amazing. The topic of this thread is about who we are rooting for, and I have to deal with criticism from people who say I am rooting for the wrong thing, and that I am in error for having such sentiments.

Depends on the prevailing criteria. If the criteria are stringent, a team that makes it deserves it. But if one-third of all teams make the playoffs, or one half, or two thirds, then the spot can be "earned" by a team that doesn't necessarily deserve it.

If the season ended today, the Cardinals would be in the post season, 8 games above .500. Earned, yes. Deserved, no. Last year, the second WC spot would have gone to teams that were 16 and 18 games above .500. Nobody complained that they deserved it, but "prevailing criteria" could have made it solmething "earned".

A guy who gets a paycheck on Friday doesn't necessarily deserve it, even though he earned it by meeting the prevailing criteria of showing up every morning.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-12-2012 at 12:02 AM..

Old 09-12-2012, 12:05 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
This is really amazing. The topic of this thread is about who we are rooting for, and I have to deal with criticism from people who say I am rooting for the wrong thing, and that I am in error for having such sentiments.

Depends on the prevailing criteria. If the criteria are stringent, a team that makes it deserves it. But if one-third of all teams make the playoffs, or one half, or two thirds, then the spot can be "earned" by a team that doesn't necessarily deserve it.

If the season ended today, the Cardinals would be in the post season, 8 games above .500. Earned, yes. Deserved, no. Last year, the second WC spot would have gone to teams that were 16 and 18 games above .500. Nobody complained that they deserved it, but "prevailing criteria" could have made it solmething "earned".

A guy who gets a paycheck on Friday doesn't necessarily deserve it, even though he earned it by meeting the prevailing criteria of showing up every morning.

The Cardinals looked like they finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball