U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 07:35 AM

41,804 posts, read 18,764,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have insisted on nothing. I have expressed what I was rooting for. What I'm rooting for follows reasons that are personal and eccentric and apply only to me. What do you think "rooting for" means? Insisting? Not for me, but you're welcome to your own interpretation and emotional response for that. Which maybe explains why I don't, as you counseled, just withdraw my fandom and go home in a pique of spite because they don't do it my way.
There is a clear distinction between rooting when applied to hoping a specific team wins, and rooting when applied to advocating a policy which will apply to everyone. It is the difference between "I hope something bad happens to you" and "I'm going to vote to make something bad happen to you."

BTW....The Cardinals are in LA this weekend, two teams which are going head to head for one of the wild card spots. Are you having a bad time this weekend because those games are meaningful in terms of the post season and your preference would be that neither of them is still in the pennant race..because you dislike the wild card concept?

Suppose that you were just today made MLB Tsar...as in absolute ruler, not just commissioner. You have it in your power to alter the rules of the game to suit your sense of what is best.

So....five minutes before the start of today's game in LA, would you go out onto the field with a microphone and announce to the crowd..."This game, which most of you are anticipating as a critical one in the wild card race, is now just two teams playing out the string because under my regime, only division champions will be eligible for post season slots. Isn't that a lot better? Enjoy today's game ladies and gentlemen and drink responsibly!.......Hey! Who threw that?!"

Well? Is that what you really want? You would wipe away the Cardinals WS win from last season and you would change their '12 September games from competitive ones to exhibitions? This would make you a happier fellow? It would make the rest of the Cardinal and Dodger fans happy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 10:12 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,691,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

BTW....The Cardinals are in LA this weekend, two teams which are going head to head for one of the wild card spots. Are you having a bad time this weekend because those games are meaningful in terms of the post season and your preference would be that neither of them is still in the pennant race..because you dislike the wild card concept?
Not at all. I've resigned myself to the fact that the only way the Cardinals get to the post season would be if the Dodgers, Pirates, Brewers and Phillies lose nearly all their remaining games. Furthermore, I'd rather see them finish out of the playoffs, than to lose in a one-game "tie breaker" when there is nothing even resembling a tie in place. And if they were to beat Atlanta in that "tie breaker", I would regard them as an undeserving team occupying a space where a true contender ought to be. All the heralded excitement generated over an entire season, deflated with a mild hiss in one single game. The least they could do is to simulate six games, adjusted to ensure that it goes 3-3, and then tell us that it is the seventh game.

Furthermore, I think the Cardinals ought to be a contender, but they are not. Changes meed to be made to make them a contender, and those changes will occur only if their failure is sufficiently humiliating. Similar to my sentiments that MLB's playoff structure might be changed only if the results are sufficiently humiliating,, and resoundingly direct attention to their shortcomings. I realize, of course, that my optimism is misplaced, and a disastrous post season would simply be used as an excuse to flail about for change,any change, and just follow their time-honored course to make things worse instead of better.

Just like my hopes for the departure of LaRussa, which just gave me Matheny.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-15-2012 at 10:21 AM..

Old 09-19-2012, 09:33 PM

328 posts, read 256,643 times
I'm rooting for anything that keeps the Yankees out of the playoffs. I don't dislike them per se, but baseball needs multiple postseasons without New York and Boston. It's shocking how many people think the sport can't survive without the Yankees and Red Sox. That blame lays squarely with ESPN and Fox.
Other than that, as a Cubs fan I don't want to see the Cardinals get in the playoffs. It was disgusting watching them win a Series they had no business winning last year. The Sox will get in and deserve to. I was hoping the Pirates would, but they'd killed their own chances.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:24 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,306,231 times
I like the two wild cards b/c it puts so much emphasis on winning your division. The regular baseball season is a long grind, and I like that the team that wins its division will now have a real advantage over a team that gets in via the wild card. IMO, under the old system the wild card team had a path that was too easy.

And I also don't think that the extra wild card waters down the playoffs. Baseball still has the lowest percentage of teams to make the post season among the Big Four:

MLB: 10 out of 30: 33.3%
NFL: 12 out of 32: 37.5%
NBA and NHL: 16 out of 30: 53.3% (which is way too high and IMO reduces the meaning of the regular season)

Old 09-22-2012, 02:04 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,871,876 times
OK Cubbies.

Walk-it-off!

Old 09-24-2012, 05:05 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,634,811 times
Come on Cards, just 2 more wins and the Phillies are gone

Old 09-26-2012, 09:50 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,306,231 times
Braves have clinched a spot in the playoffs. Cards are looking like a shoo-in for the second wild card unless they melt down.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:27 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,634,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Braves have clinched a spot in the playoffs. Cards are looking like a shoo-in for the second wild card unless they melt down.
They have 2 left against Houston and then 3 more at home against the Nats who is a team right now playing like POOP. So the Cards should clinch the 2nd wildcard by Saturday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball