Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 12:29 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,381,872 times

Advertisements

Robbed! Girl keeps a stiff upper lip after grown man intercepts baseball from her grasp (Video) | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports

Ban fans like this jerk from the stadium. If baseball is to continue, they need to get the young fans. A ball player tosses a ball into the stand to a kid and an adult nearby caught and kept the ball for himself. Eventually someone gives the girl a ball. I'm not a hardcore baseball fan. If I were able to go to a pro game and catch a ball, I'd have my wife take a photo of me with the ball as proof, and then find a child to gift the ball to. I'm an adult with a bad shoulder so I can't enjoy the ball. A kid would enjoy that ball for years and will always remember the time at the game as he/she looks at the ball years later. Too bad I can't afford a trip to a pro game (nearest one is the Astros). Can afford college or high school. Ticket and concessions are much more affordable. My favorite is little league or T-ball. They're playing for the love of the game and watching the little kids is a blast. Just wish some parents would learn to laugh and enjoy the show when a kid runs the wrong way, misses a ball, or starts playing with bugs in the grass. They're children, let them play. As they mature and develop, they'll learn the fundamentals and rules and play more seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 01:07 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
The "kids" who get the balls tossed by ball boys are sitting in $500 seats. Not sure of the protocol, but I assume the ushers allow a limited number of kids (probably the cute ones) to go down and hang out near the ball-boy stations, who have a quota of balls to be tossed to them.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:19 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,132,740 times
not sure what games you are going to - but that's not the case in any stadium I've frequented

also, keep in mind this is in Miami - midweek against the brewers ..... not the strongest crowds you'll see

I just checked some aftermarket sites and you can sit directly above the dugouts for $50 a seat for an upcoming weekend series .... go a section back and you can get tickets under $20

Many times the ball boys and guys who clean up fouls will throw balls down the lines - those seats can frequently be had for under $50 a ticket in many stadiums ....... just checked for some upcoming diamondback games because I know the sections that will get some balls tossed in from OFs, the ball boys or other players coming back into the dugout and they're running in many cases around $15-$25 per ticket

Even if the seat is expensive, it doesn't change the fact that it's a kid and an adult in an equally expensive seat went out of their way to snag a cheap baseball from them

Old 09-07-2012, 01:32 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,226,169 times
I found the tickets for $70.

There's always the possibility that they got some of the 75 cent tickets and upgraded.

Guy's kind of a jerk though.

Banning him from the stadium.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:06 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I
Guy's kind of a jerk though.

Banning him from the stadium.
I doubt if the stadium could ban him without the risk of litigation that their legal affairs department doesn't really want to deal with. Sell two million tickets a year, there is a calculated risk you will get some jerks.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:38 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,985,270 times
Okay I will be the other side of the coin guy. First off Aoki just tossed up in a general direction where there were 2 girls and 1 guy. The guy was closest to the ball so therefore he caught it. He didn't rip it out of her hands he caught it fair and square. So if you're a kid are you entitled to every foul ball even if someone else catches it? No! Maybe it was the Asian guys first MLB baseball game who knows but just cause he didn't hand it over to the cry baby kid doesn't make him a bad guy. So if every foul ball is tossed in the stands the adult who catches has to find a child and hand over the ball? Hey take some Rolling Stones advice and listen when people tell you "You can't always get what you want". The guy didn't take it from her hand and he didn't "box" her out he reached for it and grabbed it, tough luck kid I'm sure it won't be the only time you'll have a chance at a foul ball.

Parent's need to tell their kids they are not entitled to every foul ball that is tossed or hit in the stands and if a adult catches it so be it. Don't whine and cry because you didn't get one. Recently I was at a Brewers game and I told my wife since we had great seats and brought my glove that's I would catch a ball if I could for her. Well I got one and seconds after catching it had 3 different kids come down to my row and ask if they could have the ball and I said nicely sorry but this one is for my wife, the next I catch I'll let you have it. Well the parents around me thought I was the biggest jerk but I guess that's it just where we are at in society. If I catch a ball and a kid 5 rows behind asks for the ball that I caught then I am the Aahole.

The sooner someone tells this kid life is not fair and it's how you deal with it that matters, the better off she will be, instead of this "I want it I want it I want" attitude.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:34 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,967,234 times
Milwaukee City has more or less summed up my sentiments on this as well. What is the moral for kids here? Throw a hissy fit when frustrated and you will soon be rewarded?

I also did not see anything in the video which suggests that guy "stole" the ball intended for the girl. He is just standing there when his image first appears and the ball comes right to him. That ball was intended for a little girl? She was expected to make the catch of such a long throw? I don't think so, I don't think the throw had any particular target in mind. It isn't as though the fellow is shoving the kid aside and grabbing a ball obviously earmarked for her. Besides, maybe he has a kid in the stands or back home to whom he wished to give the ball. Based on very little evidence, many here have instantly established him as the villain and her as a weepy Shirley Temple. I think that the announcers were very unfair in portraying it that way.

This notion of "the child should always win" is a relatively recent American phenomena, another outgrowth of the Oprahizing of America where we are taught that it is always emotions uber alles.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:45 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,847,574 times
I think 60 Minutes recently exposed the sports memorabilia market a while back for dressing up midgets in little girl costumes and elbowing real little kids out of the way in order to come up with these souvenirs and sell in the after market trade shows for a pretty profit. Looks like the "little girl" is sporting a 5 o-clock shadow to me.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:11 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,354,931 times
Cmon, how do we know this guy is a jerk? He intercepted a ball, maybe he got caught in the heat of the moment, and didn't want to offend anyone? Maybe he was getting it for a kid/nephew/niece? Its not like he snatched it out of kids hands.

Secondly, why all the focus on the girl? There is also a boy grabbing for the ball there as well and he heads back to his seat while she stands there and pouts.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:34 PM

3,549 posts, read 1,535,377 times
He probably got caught up in the moment. I'm sure I would have, too. At a minor league game, some stuff was coming my way and my husband intercepted it without even thinking about it. And yes, I'm still married to the jerk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball