U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:53 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,670,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
So, you are okay with the idea of those children being made into orphans because their free spirited parents decided against auto safety measures?
I'm okay with the idea of adults having the right to decide for themselves whether or not to wear seat belts. Or pitching helmets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 08:19 PM

41,982 posts, read 18,808,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
I'm okay with the idea of adults having the right to decide for themselves whether or not to wear seat belts. Or pitching helmets.
Yes, you already stated the above. I was asking if you were okay with kids being made into orphans rather than restricting the automotive freedom of their parents.

You stated that you would have safety laws for children, and of course by doing that you are already restricting the freedom of those same parents. If they have the right to choose for themselves about safety belts, why do you deny them the right to choose for their kids? Instead you would impose your choice. We are speaking of people for whom it is already established that they do not care for the government telling them to buckle up. It stands to reason that they aren't going to be wanting the government telling them how to raise their kids.

Consequently, you are already across the line into the land of restricting other people's rights. This leaves the question of why you elect to draw the line where you do.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:08 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,783,388 times
There is a philosophical difference, pitching helmets v. seat belts. Medical expenses incurred by motorists who are more seriously injured without belts need to be partly incurred by the general public, who have an interest in minimizing the number and medical costs of such casualties. But pitchers hit in the head do not become a medical liability for the public to endure.

The public has a right to be concerned about millions of people whose injuries, at public cost, could be mitigated by seat belt use, but no such benefit can be argued for pitching helmets. It is not a question of protecting our fellow citizens who have a death wish, but a cost-effective cash-flow issue.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:29 AM

1,455 posts, read 3,670,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Yes, you already stated the above. I was asking if you were okay with kids being made into orphans rather than restricting the automotive freedom of their parents.

You stated that you would have safety laws for children, and of course by doing that you are already restricting the freedom of those same parents. If they have the right to choose for themselves about safety belts, why do you deny them the right to choose for their kids? Instead you would impose your choice. We are speaking of people for whom it is already established that they do not care for the government telling them to buckle up. It stands to reason that they aren't going to be wanting the government telling them how to raise their kids.

Consequently, you are already across the line into the land of restricting other people's rights. This leaves the question of why you elect to draw the line where you do.
Oh, I suppose I'd draw the line where I would in an attempt to protect the children of the stupid. I have no problem with the stupid making stupid decisions and getting themselves killed, but it hardly seems fair for a kid to get killed just because their parents are stupid. I say give the stupid kids a fighting chance.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:52 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 15,007,964 times
Professional athletes don't need to be using safety equipment like helmets or seat belts. Just ask Dale Earnhardt, ooooops too late.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:39 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,888,139 times
A's McCarthy opposes mandatory helmets - SFGate

Quote:
"I don't want it to be a political issue or for anyone to overreact," McCarthy told The Chronicle by phone from his San Francisco apartment. "It's a dangerous game and things like this can happen. I'm all in favor of innovation ... and if in 50 years, every pitcher is wearing some sort of soft-shell helmet that looks different, that will be all right. But I don't want it to be mandatory."

Old 04-08-2014, 08:08 AM

72 posts, read 80,932 times
Anyone see those 2 pitchers get hit in the head 2 weeks ago?? The idea that pitchers should wear helmets or some type of protective gear definitely isn't going anywhere. I know a lot of softball leagues in New Jersey already require a pitchers or fielders mask that are similar to these-
http://www.nj.com/hssports/blog/soft..._injuries.html
http://www.pitchershelmet.com/shop/s...ut-technology/

MLB already approved a pitchers helmet or 'cap' and players have the option to wear it this season. It is very bulky and noticeable, which is the reason almost all players are choosing not to wear it. Hopefully something like those masks can be used in the future along with a protective head piece. If it doesn't change the game or how the players play, then I don't understand why spectators get so upset over this possibility.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:18 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,783,388 times
Is anybody wearing one this year? Alex Cobb of the Rays, who was out with a concussion last year, said he wanted to try one in spring training, but as of an article on March 20, he said he hasn't even been able to find one to try.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...-cobb/6672541/

Old 04-22-2014, 12:18 PM

72 posts, read 80,932 times
I saw a picture of Todd Redmond on the Bluejays wearing one via twitter but not sure if he actually used it that game. https://twitter.com/SNBarryDavis/sta...173888/photo/1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or