Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 06:23 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,944,633 times

Advertisements

After watching my Fightin' Phils beat up on the Red Sox last night, I had to take a shower after this game was broadcasted on ESPN. It is sickening how this network has a constant lovefest with Boston and New York. All the while the Phillies were dominating the Red Sox, all these announcers could do was to make excuses for and hype up the Red Sox. They never gave the Phils credit for anything, it was always that the Red Sox weren't performing up to their usual "standard." The announcers were so high on the Red Sox, you would swear they were "aroused" when talking about them. This Boston/NY bias on ESPN has pretty much led to me not watching ESPN unless I have to, as in when the Phillies are on there. Is there ever a time that Baseball Tonight doesn't lead off with the Red Sox and Yankees? The only reason the Phils got the lead story on Baseball Tonight was because they were playing Boston....then that story was followed by a long winded boring segment on the Yankees and Chien Ming Wang's injury. Earth to ESPN: there are other teams besides the Yankees, Red Sox, and Mets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 02:47 PM

52,609 posts, read 47,796,560 times
Default A Sportscenter LOWlight?

I wholeheartedly agree. There's definitely a northeast bias at the network. If my Astros ever get in a long, hot win streak or if a player gets hot, it's not the leadoff story even though it would be worthy of headlines, especially if they're in a pivotal game. Something needs to be fixed at ESPN. Bring on FOX Sports.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:00 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,937,455 times
yes, I agree ESPNY as i like to call it, gets overhyped when the Yankees/Mets/Red Sox win, and they SCREAM at you when Derek Jeter gets a clutch hit like "omg, he's so good" or something like that.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:20 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,944,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. There's definitely a northeast bias at the network. If my Astros ever get in a long, hot win streak or if a player gets hot, it's not the leadoff story even though it would be worthy of headlines, especially if they're in a pivotal game. Something needs to be fixed at ESPN. Bring on FOX Sports.

I wouldn't call it a northeast bias, because they hardly know the Phillies exist, despite winning the division last year and being in first place this year. The only time they mention Philly is when they want to bring up the same old tired stereotypes of Philly fans, when the reality is, while some Philly fans can be rough, and we are passionate and expect players to give it their all, Philly fans are no worse than New York, Boston, and other cities. ESPN always has to bring up the booing Santa Claus incident (which happened more than 40 years ago at an Eagles game, and he was only booed because he a was a pitiful drunken Santa).....they took a dig at Phils fans for booing a greedy horses arse like JD Drew, but they conveniently forget the standing ovation that Ken Griffey, Jr. got in Philly barely more than a week ago and the standing ovations Jim Thome and Aaron Rowand got in Philly when they came in with the visiting team. We're good judges of character in Philly...we recognize class acts like Griffey, Rowand, and Thome, as well as a-holes like Drew.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:41 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,672,884 times
I've been griping about ESPN for years. When it comes to the Red Sox or Yankee's, doesn't matter how they are doing, they will get tremendous coverage. You can have a team like the Tigers or Phillies who get red hot, go on a tear, barely so much as a mention. Meanwhile, you'll get endless coverage as to why the Yanks are in last place or the Red Sox don't have the best record in baseball.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:17 AM

321 posts, read 1,026,816 times
Thumbs up Amen

I agree, even though I hate to... since I love sports and really appreciate many of the announcers/shows. Our Rays are just now getting some good coverage (though after the AllStar break it will end until September when we play the Yanks/Sox again); but there is still a tinge of "kids at the adult table" attitude towards us. We'll see how it plays out for the rest of the season, won't we?
I also disagree with the way they push programming. They start carrying lacrosse games, so LO! 3 of the top 10 plays on SC are from lacrosse games?... Right.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,756 times
Default brodyjennerScouncpooriwop

[url=http://cli.gs/35qehl9]Preview Page - http://enterzone.org/main.php[/url] heatherlocklear

Old 12-20-2011, 09:31 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,517,363 times
Actually, the "E" in ESPN stands for Entertainment. So there's no reason why anyone should expect a bias in favor of sports, whether eastern-based or otherwise.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:29 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,150,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Actually, the "E" in ESPN stands for Entertainment. So there's no reason why anyone should expect a bias in favor of sports, whether eastern-based or otherwise.
Um...and just what do you think the "S" stands for now?

As far as a bias....ESPN has long had a huge NY in general and Yankees in particular bias, possibly due to their proximity to the Bronx. The Red Sox new manager Bobby V used to show it all the time.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:28 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,082,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Um...and just what do you think the "S" stands for now?

As far as a bias....ESPN has long had a huge NY in general and Yankees in particular bias, possibly due to their proximity to the Bronx. The Red Sox new manager Bobby V used to show it all the time.
true but this is only in baseball

last I looked the Lakers and the Cowboys weren't on the east coast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball