U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you watch a Drug-League, or a Drug-free league?
Drug League 1 8.33%
League that bans all drugs. 8 66.67%
Performance difference would probably be insignificant. 1 8.33%
No answer / wouldn't care 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:59 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,444,884 times

Advertisements

Assume there are two baseball leagues, and each one televises an equal number of games. One league strictly bans anything that smells like a Performance Enhancing Drug, and the other league is wide open, and players can take any drugs they want to enhance their power, running speed, hand-eye coordination, everything. Which games would you be more likely to watch? Be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 10:55 AM

41,315 posts, read 18,652,312 times
Will they be selling drugs in the stands in the Drug League?

"Crack here! Getcher crack here! Dynamite stuff! Crack h......How many would you like?

The fans would be complaining just like they always do....

"Man do you believe $15.50 for one lousy little joint?"
"I know, I was going to get some stuff but did you see the line at the meth counter?"

It would probably be no accident that the Mrs. Fields booth was located right next to the Wally's Weed outlet.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:39 AM

1,455 posts, read 3,658,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Assume there are two baseball leagues, and each one televises an equal number of games. One league strictly bans anything that smells like a Performance Enhancing Drug, and the other league is wide open, and players can take any drugs they want to enhance their power, running speed, hand-eye coordination, everything. Which games would you be more likely to watch? Be honest.
Hmmm. Interesting. I'm trying to wrap my head around by making it like the designated hitter -- the American League has it, the National League doesn't. So if one of them allowed performance-enhancing drugs and the other didn't, which league would I prefer? After thinking about I realized for me the answer is simple: the American League. I don't think performance-enhancing drugs would be much of a deciding factor for me either way. I just don't really care all that much.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:45 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,376,095 times
Haha, a designated user. 'DU'

I wonder if I would use my one roster spot for the DU as a cather or a hitter....

Old 09-22-2012, 11:47 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,136,568 times
I don't care it's just a GAME.

I don't care it's just a game like chess and I don't care if the players are taking mind altering drugs.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:52 PM

41,315 posts, read 18,652,312 times
Letting the public know that PEDs were involved in the heroics which they were seeing, and allowing all players the same set of advantages afforded any player, would remove my two major objections to a steroid enhanced game.

It would have to be completely disconnected from the MLB of the past since the MLB players (in theory) were performing without chemical aids.

So you would have two leagues, one which was connected to 135 years of baseball history, and one which was being marketed as "Extreme Baseball."

I would imagine that older fans would wish to stick with the more historically grounded league, while younger fans would be more receptive to opening up the game to 650 foot home runs or 115 mph fastballs. This would disrupt the whole parents passing along the love of the game to their kids dynamic upon which MLB depends for sustaining its fan base.

As to which league would survive, or both/neither would survive this schism, I do not know.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:55 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,826,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
As to which league would survive, or both/neither would survive this schism, I do not know.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:25 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,586,803 times
In all honesty, I would not watch the Drug League. Although it would be amusing once the effects of some of those drugs kick in.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:59 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,444,884 times
College Football is inferior to NFL football by a very wide margin, almost laughable, yet the number of people who go hog wild over college football appears to exceed the number of NFL fans, so I guess it would not be surprising if fans wanted to watch slower, weaker baseball players, too, for reasons not associated with skill level.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:31 AM

6,981 posts, read 4,474,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
College Football is inferior to NFL football by a very wide margin, almost laughable, yet the number of people who go hog wild over college football appears to exceed the number of NFL fans, so I guess it would not be surprising if fans wanted to watch slower, weaker baseball players, too, for reasons not associated with skill level.
Same thing with college BB. No contest in skill and by a very large margin.

I think the difference may be this. The reason the college athletes are 'weaker' is because of age and not necessarily because they're of average talent. People who watch college FB and BB know that many of the best players will be in the pro's one day, so, they're willing to 'put up' with the less skill because they know that many of the best players they're watching will one day be NFL calibre players. That might have something to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball