U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 07:45 PM

6,534 posts, read 4,486,193 times

Advertisements

THAT was an ugly game, 3-1 loss to the Mets. Scherzer did his part 7 2/3 innings only 4 hits 3 unearned runs on a pair of Desmond errors. I know it's only 1 game and Werth, Span & Rendon are on the DL (Werth could be back as early as Saturday when he's eligible to return from the DL), Rendon & Span are likely out a few more weeks, but that offense was absolutely pathetic against the living dinosaur known as Bartolo Colon. 3 hits against a 90 year old pitcher....not good! Even when they get Werth, Rendon & Span back I still think they should trade 1 of the SP's for an offensive bat. Even with the starting rotation as good as this looks on paper when the playoffs roll around you only go with a 4 man rotation in the playoffs, and even subtracting Fister/Stras/J-Zimm, those other 4 would still be one of the best collection of starters on a playoff team (if we get there). And I would gladly give up a starter if it meant getting Tulowitski or Carlos Gonzalez from the Rockies, Starlin Castro from the Cubs, Mark Trumbo from the D'Backs, Rusney Castillo/Shane Victorino/Allen Craig/Daniel Nava (pick 2 of the 4) from the Red Sox, Justin Morneau from the Rockies, Joe Mauer from the Twins, Jay Bruce from the Reds. Some of them (Trumbo, CarGo, Tulo, Castro) would actually supply real power while the other additions would supply a much needed bat off the bench and the last 3 or 4 years this has been one of the worst collections of bench players on any MLB roster. I actually proposed a Strasburg for Allen Craig & Shane Victorino trade to my friend who's a Red Sox fan and we both thought it was an even trade. Even without Strasburg, you insert in Roark who was awesome last year and I doubt they would miss much a beat. Craig would be a power bat who could back up Zim at first and Werth in RF while Victorino, not a power threat, but he gets on base, can run, and still plays good defense so we'd have a late inning defensive replacement/pinch runner for Werth.

Next game is Wednesday @ 7:05. Jacob de Grom, coming off the 2014 NL Rookie of the year faces Jordan Zimmermann. This should be a great game, 1 run very well may win it.

Last edited by 7express; 04-06-2015 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 11:11 PM

Default 1-1 (2015)

2-1 win over the New York Metropolitans. Once again, the offense got shut down from the Mets pitcher, as they only managed 2 runs and 5 hits, but Ryan Zimmerman hit a 2 run homer in the first which accounted for the lone run. Unlike Monday, the defense remembered the season started and made a couple nifty plays including a excellent grab by Blake Treinen to double off David Wright at first to end the 8th. Harper with good plays in RF to hold the Mets to singles instead of doubles which no doubt helped to preserve the lead as well.

Tomorrow is the final game of the Mets series with an excellent pitching matchup as Matt Harvey makes his first regular season appearance since August 2003 taking on Stephen Strasburg. Like the first 2 games (3-1 & 2-1) final, I'd expect this to be another very low scoring game.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:40 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,056,349 times
Great pitching on both teams. This was destined to be a low scoring series.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:04 PM

Default 1-2

Once again, the defense let the starter down. Strasburg wasn't as sharp as Scherzer was on opening day (he gave up 6 runs) so I'm trying not to use that as an excuse, but another key Desmond error lead to 4 Mets run (3 were unearned via the error), with the Mets adding on 2 more later in the game. The offense scored 3 runs, but those were basically in garbage time as the game was already 6-0 at that point. After the 4 run 4th inning for the Mets, with how good Harvey was throwing, that was all she wrote. Onto Philadelphia, and hopefully the bandbox known as CBP can wake the offense up (along with the return of Jayson Werth who is eligible to return on Saturday, and looks to be on track).

Pitching matchup is Gio Gonzalez for the Nats vs. cast off Jerome Williams for the Phillies. Game time is @ 7:05.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:51 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,640,377 times
I don't have high expectations until we get Span, Rendon and Werth all back. This offense is not good without them.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:19 PM

This offense without Werth, Rendon & Span is absolutely pathetic. The wheels came off for Gio in the 7th inning, but once again, we can't do $#!t with the bats. 1 run & 5 hits...the run and 3 of the 5 hits came in the first inning. Pathetic! Down 4-1 in the 8th. So far this year we've scored 1 run (on a homer) off of 97 year old Bartolo Colon, and 1 run (on a homer) off of 85 year old Jerome Williams. Can we get Werth, Span & Rendon back now please??

Old 04-11-2015, 09:23 PM

Default 1-4

Nats 2 @ Phillies 3 (10 innings).

This team is pathetic right now! Wake me up when we get Rendon, Span & Werth back together! Hopefully Werth can be back for the Boston series which starts Monday. Another quality start pissed down the drain from the starting pitcher. The starters have combined to pitch 31 2/3 innings, have allowed 7 earned runs total (which would be a 1.99 era) and have a grand total of 1 win, 2 losses & 2 no decisions to show for their efforts. Absolutely pathetic! The 2014 Padres are laughing at how inept offensively this team is right now.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:46 PM

Default 2-5

Ugh :/

Back to back games with 4 runs, so that's a start.

Sunday it took us 10 innings when the bullpen blew ANOTHER lead, but we ended up winning 4-3. Today's game was a flat out embarrassment. It was by far the worst game defensively I have ever seen this team play: from Desmond bobbling more routine grounders, to balls falling between OF's because nobody called for it, just an absolute joke. It was 8-0 after 3 innings, but we won the final 6 innings 4-1 to only lose 9-4. Tomorrow is a new day!

Pitching matchup Stephen Strasburg for the Nats vs. Justin Masterson for the Red Sox. Game time is 6:10. I think Red Sox play 6:10 games Monday-Thursday night in April & May to make the games more accessible for school kids hence why the game is an hour earlier than it usually is.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:14 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,640,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Ugh :/

Back to back games with 4 runs, so that's a start.

Sunday it took us 10 innings when the bullpen blew ANOTHER lead, but we ended up winning 4-3. Today's game was a flat out embarrassment. It was by far the worst game defensively I have ever seen this team play: from Desmond bobbling more routine grounders, to balls falling between OF's because nobody called for it, just an absolute joke. It was 8-0 after 3 innings, but we won the final 6 innings 4-1 to only lose 9-4. Tomorrow is a new day!

Pitching matchup Stephen Strasburg for the Nats vs. Justin Masterson for the Red Sox. Game time is 6:10. I think Red Sox play 6:10 games Monday-Thursday night in April & May to make the games more accessible for school kids hence why the game is an hour earlier than it usually is.
The Nats look really bad right now, but I'm overall still not worried yet. Desmond definitely has to pick it up but I think when you rely on young players like Michael Taylor, you definitely have to expect some mistakes, which he has had a few big ones in the outfield and on the base path. I actually think Denard Span and Anthony Rendon's returns are more important than Werth's. They are the table setters offensively and their defense will make everyone else look better.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:37 AM

Default 3-6

Nice to see the team finally found it's bats. Defense is another story, but that'll improve as the season progress, and the bullpen on October 4 will probably look nothing like the bullpen today, so even in a 2-1 series loss to Boston, there were a lot of positives to take out of it, the biggest being is that we won't see Hanley Ramirez & Pablo Sandoval again until 2018 and David Ortiz probably ever again! I was in Boston for the games Tuesday & Wednesday which is why I wasn't able to update the thread.

Tuesday: I really thought we had that one won . We broke out with 6 runs in the 5th inning which not only was our high water mark of an inning, it was also the high water mark of the season which turned a 5-1 deficit into a 7-5 lead. That stayed that way until the 7th when the inning started with a Desmond error. Granted, it was a bad hop, and if that was only his 1st error of the year instead of his 6th!!!!!!!!!!! already, I probably wouldn't have been as annoyed. Matt Thornton then proceeds to hit 2 guys: 1 batting a robust .120 and Thornton hit him on an 0-2 pitch to boot , and then a couple batters later plunks a guy that's 1-10 to start the season . That loads the bases, in comes Blake Treinen who induces a comebacker to the pitchers mound which looks to be an inning-ending potential game-saving 1-2-3 double play. Instead, Treinen bobbles it, and in his haste to at least get the lead runner at home throws it to the backstop for 2 runs to score and tie the game. The next batter, hits one to Desmond playing in, and he hesitates to home, before getting the out at first, so that gives the Sox an 8-7 lead. In the 9th Zimmerman hit one over the Monstah off of Uehara that went about 1.5 inches foul. If they were 5-2 instead of 2-5, that thing probably stays fair, but when you fall to 2-6, those are the balls that wind up ending up foul.

Wednesday: Got off to a good start as Harper & Zimmermann (hitting 4th & 5th) got back to back 2 out doubles to give us a 2-0 first inning lead. Sox got it back in the 2nd on yet another misplay in the field, this one by Taylor in CF who either lost it in the sun, forgot where the wall was, or a combination of both. An Escobar throwing error lead to the 2nd run. In the 3rd, the Nats exploded for yet another 6 run inning; it started with a Desmond HR over the Monstah, the next 3 runs came via a Ramos double that cleared the bases which knocked Wade Miley from the game in his Fenway debut and for good measure Dan Uggla and Tyler Moore added back-to-back 2 out doubles to stretch the lead to 8-2. I thought it'd be a nice relaxing Curly W, but the Nats would have none of that! Hanley added 2 run homer in the 5th to make it 8-4, and the next inning, Brock Holt made it 8-5 with a ground rule double scoring Mike Napoli. The games final run would come via a 2 run homer from Moore in the 8th over the Monstah to make it 10-5 and that's what the final was. Rafael Martin, making his Nats debut after he was called up from AAA Syracuse struck out 5 of the 6 hitters he faced. For a last random nugget of the Tuesday & Wednesday games, in BOTH days when the Nats tallied 6 run innings (Tuesday 5th inning, Wednesday 3rd inning), Yunel Escobar was responsible for 2 of the 3 outs, and he started an ended BOTH innings with outs. Yikes! As I said, lots of positives to take out from that series though. Before the 5th inning on Monday, we had scored a grand total of 13 runs in our first 59 innings. From the 5th inning of Monday on we have scored 21 runs in just 23 innings. Phillies come in to Washington for a 4 game homestand, so hopefully we can get over .500 with a sweep.

Thursday's pitching matchup is Cole Hamels for the Phillies vs. Doug Fister for the Nats. Game time is slated for a 7:05 first pitch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or