Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2018, 06:24 PM

33,746 posts, read 16,727,035 times

Advertisements

weird year. 32 innings 0 runs-then explode.

Still think Nats will end closer to Mets than WC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 09:14 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,355,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
weird year. 32 innings 0 runs-then explode.

Still think Nats will end closer to Mets than WC.

I disagree, I think the Nats end up finishing in 2nd place at years end, this Phillies team stinks! Braves will win the division easily.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I disagree, I think the Nats end up finishing in 2nd place at years end, this Phillies team stinks! Braves will win the division easily.
.500 after 134 games

I think Nats end 81-81

Old 08-29-2018, 11:12 PM

We'll see how they do against the Brewers. I don't see them doing any better than 4-3 the week of the Cards/Cubs and that's even stretching it. After that, aside from 3 games against the Bravos it eases up until the final weekend of the season in Colorado. If they win the series against the Brewers I could see 84-86 wins at years end.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:44 PM

156 posts, read 435,422 times
I started watching baseball (Nationals) a few years ago, but I don't have time to watch every game and follow it that closely. With this season sucking so bad, I've barely watched. I'm still learning all the rules and how things work, which brings me to my question:

In baseball, more specifically with the Nationals, doesn't the general manager (Mike Rizzo) make the decisions about trading and basically who will play for the Nationals? The manager (Martinez) doesn't have any say in it, correct?

Old 08-30-2018, 01:50 PM

No, you are correct. The GM trades for the players, the manager doesn't have a lot (any??) say in it. Owner's I believe have more say in who stays or who goes because they are the ones that can authorize the funds to acquire said player the GM wants to acquire.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:11 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,089,050 times
As a fan of your rival Braves, I can tell you that I'm amazed at how poorly Washington has played this season. If I were a Nats fan, I'd be screaming for a new Manager. If Martinez cannot win with all that talent- why keep him?

Old 08-30-2018, 02:26 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,968,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
As a fan of your rival Braves, I can tell you that I'm amazed at how poorly Washington has played this season. If I were a Nats fan, I'd be screaming for a new Manager. If Martinez cannot win with all that talent- why keep him?
I understand that Matt Williams might be available. He has been coaching thirdbase for the A's and could be up for a bigger challenge.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I understand that Matt Williams might be available. He has been coaching thirdbase for the A's and could be up for a bigger challenge.
No thank you, he can stay in Oakland!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
These were 2 posts I posted over the weekend on why I think Dave Martinez is getting a bad rap from the Nats fans and around baseball. Does he make bad moves?? Yes, absolutely, but who doesn't?? Talk to Yankee fans, and half of them think Aaron Boone needs to get fired and they have the 2nd best record in baseball! Is he sometimes a step or inning late in what moves he makes?? Probably, but again, who isn't?? Should a rookie manager who has never managed a team in his career be managing a win now team?? Hell freaking no, and that's where I started my rant on the people that made that possible: The Lerner's (the owners) for refusing to renew Dusty Baker's contract, and for Mike Rizzo, the same GM that hired a rookie manager in 2014 that failed spectacularly and than did the same thing in 2018 with roughly the same core group intact and expecting things to be different. What was Einstein's definition of insanity?? Doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results?? My original post from over the weekend inside the parenthesis in bold.

"Yesterday [Saturday] on Twitter I sent a couple of tweets not really defending Martinez per say but put more of the blame on Rizzo and the Lerner's for this disaster that has unfolded this year with the main point being "With how spectacularly this experiment failed in 2015 with a rookie manager it was completely asinine to think only a few years later with roughly the same main core around that it was going to somehow succeed this year, injuries be dammed. This season had disaster written all over it when it was announced back in October that Dusty wouldn't be getting his contract renewed. And than the Yankees threw them a life preserver when they were floating adrift in the Pacific Ocean with the Girardi firing that the Nats didn't take" (and really I knew the Lerner's weren't going to pay him anyways, so it was all false hope) And with my second point being what is Martinez supposed to say when he gets interviewed?? No, I don't want this job right now, give it to me in 2019 when expectations won't nearly be as high, but not in 2018?? Of course not! I know the GM is hamstrung by the penny-pinching owners, but that was an awful hire right from the start. A perfect landing spot for Davey this year would have been the Tigers or White Sox, 2 rebuilding teams, next to nothing expectation wise, so you jump into the kiddie pool, get your feet wet, learn on the fly from games that for all intents and purposes are meaningless, and nobody cares if you win 50 games or 80 games, because nobody expects you to win more than 70 (and even that's pushing it) and by the time July rolls around they are all onto football anyways, so nobody gives a crap about the middling baseball teams, so if Martinez screws up in a game the last week of September for a team that is 70-92, nobody will give a flying **** because nobody will be watching/following. If he wanted to sit out a year I think he would've been an OK hire for the Royals or Blue Jays next year after Ned Yost & John Gibbons inevitable get fired/resign (Yost will probably resign, I can see Gibbons going either way). More pressure, especially the Blue Jays, but those will also be 2 rebuilding teams with not a lot expected from them in 2019 either. So, after that epic rant, and props if you actually read that, here's how I see is at fault for this season:

12.5% players. Zim, I think was the one that stated it best "the players still have to perform at an elite level." Every team deals with injuries find me a team where at least TWO projected opening day starters & one projected starting pitcher haven't gone to the 10 day DL at some point in the season. And next man up mentality. Magnaress (however you spelled his name) Sierra, Andrew Stevenson, Pedro Severino, Wilmer Difo, etc. should be nipping at the heels, and when their number gets called they should be excited to be given the opportunity to play, to make sure when the starter comes back management has a tough decision ahead because I am playing so well that they can't take me out of the lineup. Prime example of that was Matt Adams in Atlanta last year. When Freeman was able to come back, Adams was playing so well that they had to open up a position on the field for him so both Freeman and Adams could be starters which is why I think Freeman started a handful of games at 3rd base last year. Eventually Adams turned back into a pumpkin and that experiment ended, but he gave himself the opportunity to continuing starting every day.

12.5% Davey Martinez. Yes, I've tried to defend him, and some of his moves have been baffling (is that story true Shelton, did Soto really tell him no I don't want to sit out??) but that's what you have coaches for.

25% Mike Rizzo. For making the same mistake he made in 2014.

50% Lerner's. That's who I blame most of this $#!t sandwich season on. THEY were the ones that didn't want Dusty back, THEY were the ones that weren't going to pay for a Joe Girardi, Mike Matheny (after he got fired), THEY are the ones that won't pay top dollar for a manager, THEY are the ones that won't add payroll in season so we are stuck with what we have or have to search the scrap heap for bum's like Greg Holland, THEY are the main reason why this team will not be in the 2018 playoffs.
"

Old 08-31-2018, 07:39 PM

2 more pitchers gone from Nats. weird. Not saving that much money for a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball