U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2018, 12:32 AM

6,541 posts, read 4,490,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
2 more pitchers gone from Nats. weird. Not saving that much money for a month.

I heard the Brewers are actually taking on his entire remaining contract which is around $2 million, so that might get the Nats under the Luxury tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 11:11 AM

18,873 posts, read 7,339,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I heard the Brewers are actually taking on his entire remaining contract which is around $2 million, so that might get the Nats under the Luxury tax.

But if only the overage would be taxed, that is what a few hundred k more.

Weirdest behavior I have ever seen. Trade up in July, trade down in August.

Your GM is actually Sybil IMO.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
But if only the overage would be taxed, that is what a few hundred k more.

Weirdest behavior I have ever seen. Trade up in July, trade down in August.

Your GM is actually Sybil IMO.
Who did we trade for in July Bob?? The Herrera trade was in June when this team was still in first or a couple games from first.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Who did we trade for in July Bob?? The Herrera trade was in June when this team was still in first or a couple games from first.
I forgot it was June. I did favor a purge for Nats by mid July, though.

There was no shot they could leapfrog multiple teams well ahead of them.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:14 AM

By the way if I'm a Brewers fan I am beyond pissed off that the game was allowed to continue. 12 AM, coming off a 2 hour rain delay where the failed to get the tarp on in time so the field was in even worse shape. I know in the year 2018, 4 months away from 2019, MLB wants all games, or as many as possible to play all 9 innings, but that was completely inexcusable for that game to continue. Sure, Soria and the rest of the Brewers relievers can still get people out, but IF the Brewers end up missing out on the playoffs by a game, and this was that game, that's going to open a whole can of worms as it was an "official" game at the time.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:43 PM

Default 68-69

Won 2 of 3 in Philadelphia, got rid of 2 more players in Ryan Madson to the Dodgers & Gio Gonzalez to the Brewers, and than lost 2 of 3 to the Brewers but were lucky to not get swept as they came from behind in the rain delayed game Saturday night which really should have ended after the Nats finished batting in the 7th. And leaking these trades during games are bad, inevitable it is going to get down to the clubhouse, and the people involved in it. The Gio trade got leaked at 7:04 PM on Friday evening, or exactly 1 minute before the Brewers/Nats game on Friday, and MASN kept showing him in the dugout like he just watched his dog get hit by a car, Jesus, enough already! Either make it official so he has to leave the Nats dugout, go down the tunnel, and emerge in the Brewers dugout, or hold off on anything until after the games end.

And also, how do we know the Nats season is over?? Literally ALL these players Rizzo has traded, he has traded them all to NL teams, or teams we are competing for in the playoff race. If he somehow thought the team could still compete without them, he'd trade as many of them as possible to an AL team. He had to trade Murphy to the Cubs, since the Cubs claimed him, but if Rizzo thought this was still a playoff team, he could take him back ala Bryce Harper and Dodgers, and had to trade Madson to the Dodgers since the Dodgers claimed him, but once again, if Rizzo thought this team could still win, even with Madson sucking, Rizzo can take him back. Brandon Kintzler was traded before the July 31 non waiver deadline to the Cubs, and Matt Adams & Gio Gonzalez both went unclaimed meaning they could have gotten traded to anyone, but the fact that all 3 got moved to NL teams says how much the GM thinks this team can win, so if the GM has thrown in the towel, how come I haven't thrown it in already?? The only one that's not with an NL team is Shawn Kelley (Oakland) and that's only because he was released, I'm sure Rizzo would have LOVED to trade him to the Braves, Phillies, D'Backs or Rockies

Did you know the Phillies haven't won a series in over a month after the Cubs won 2 of 3 this weekend?? They are 1-8-2 in their last 11 series which includes the Marlins, Reds, Padres, Blue Jays, Mets and Nats twice. That looks like a playoff team to me!!! And dopey F.P. Santangelo opening up the MASN broadcast this afternoon "they are only 4.5 games behind the Phillies." What the Phillies do is irrelevant to the Nats because they've played themselves out of a playoff spot the last month, so whether they win, lose, or get cancelled, there result has no bearing on whether the Nats gain ground, lose ground or stay put. And who really cares about second place, it's the first loser for a team that was picked by many to win the World Series. And really that's how bad the Nats second half has gone: Nats have only gained 2.5 games on the Phillies in that time frame. Neither team can get out of it's own way, as I said earlier this week the Braves will win this division easily. Nats can play spoiler as they finish up with the Central; 3 at home against the Cards (now tied with the Brewers for the Wildcard), and 4 at home against the Cubs beginning on Thursday, and we can welcome ex-Nats back to town: Adams from Monday-Wednesday, and than Kintzler & Murph with the Cubs Thursday-Sunday, I'd expect Murph should get a video tribute prior to Thursday's night game.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I forgot it was June. I did favor a purge for Nats by mid July, though.

There was no shot they could leapfrog multiple teams well ahead of them.
The night we did the Herrera trade (June 18) we were tied with the Phillies 3.5 games behind the Braves in the division, and tied for the second Wildcard (3 games back of Wildcard number 1 [shared by the Brewers & Cubs who were tied for the Central lead]). Suffice to say it hasn't gone well since then.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:20 AM

By far the most depressing part of this season is watching all the other NL contenders (Dodgers, D'Backs, Phillies, Braves) stumble, & bumble and can't get out of their own way, yet this team can't do a damn thing about it!! Most every national writer and Nats fan has written this team off for good, yet the NL keeps throwing them a life line and they refuse to take it. When the pitching is great, the offense is out to lunch, and when the offense finally shows some signs of life, its the pitching that's out to lunch. I don't think they can ever have the pitching and offense both be good at the same time.
Braves just got swept by the Red Sox, blowing a 7-1 8th inning lead in the finale and now head out West for a 7 game trek to Arizona & San Francisco, before coming home for their final 10 home games of the year against the Nationals, Cardinals & Phillies, yet only lost a game to the Nats this week, and still lead by 7.5, but 8 in the loss column.
Speaking of those D'Backs, they've lost 4 of their last 5, losing the last 3 games in LA to end the weekend before dropping the opener of a 2 game series against the Padres Monday to fall out of a playoff spot completely, but they've only lost a half game to the Nats.
Dodgers, coming off that series win over the D'Backs precede to lose the series at home to the Mets to follow that up; they've actually gained 2 games on the Nats since.
Cardinals lost 2 of 3 at home to the Reds over the weekend, and even though they won 2 of 3 in Washington, they blew leads in 2 of the 3 games, were up 11-5 heading into the 9th on Tuesday, yet the Nats got the tying run to the plate, and the Nats had the tying run on 2nd with 0 outs in the 9th inning Wednesday despite trailing 6-0 & 7-1, and gained a game on the Nats.
Phillies lost ANOTHER series, as they are now 3-9-2 in 14 series since the break despite playing the Padres twice, Marlins twice, Mets, Reds & Blue Jays, yet are even with the Nats in the last week.
About the only 2 teams playing well at the moment are the Brewers & Rockies.

This is why I wish they were in the AL East, so they would be all but officially eliminated at this point. Hopefully the Cubs can deliver the death blow this weekend and those teams above can start winning, so I can stop agonizing at the 1% faint hope. By the way, Bob you were right Mets probably can finish 3rd, that 4 game series in DC in a couple weeks probably decides who finishes 3rd-4th. 3rd place finish enough to bring back Calloway next year??

Old 09-07-2018, 01:17 AM

Quote:

This is why I wish they were in the AL East, so they would be all but officially eliminated at this point. Hopefully the Cubs can deliver the death blow this weekend and those teams above can start winning, so I can stop agonizing at the 1% faint hope. By the way, Bob you were right Mets probably can finish 3rd, that 4 game series in DC in a couple weeks probably decides who finishes 3rd-4th. 3rd place finish enough to bring back Calloway next year??
Calloway comes back either way. Wilpons eat a contract? Get real.

Honestly, if we add some speed in winter, we'd be interesting as is. Wheeler looks super, JD is Cy Young quality no matter the vote, Syndergaard looks like a solid 2. Rosario starting to hit with speed, McNeil looks rock solid, quick, add Nimmo who I do think is closer to his total 2018 than peaks or valleys, and could be interesting. If Lagares comes back, with Ces gone, if new GM lets Mickey play him, that is 4 fast guys in lineup. I'd go with Bruce at first, Not OF.

I can't see a good 2019 forward for Nats. Is it the clubhouse? The whole, all of 18, seems far less than the part. Plus back end of rotation looks ultra bad IMO. And Strat spends as much time on DL as Cespedes.

But I think Braves win division in 19, and I do expect Phils to be better than 18, btw.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:48 PM

Default 71-72

Lost 2 of 3 against the Cardinals and won 2 of 3 vs. the Cubs with the final game Sunday getting postponed to Thursday, and I really wonder why they are even playing the game. Granted, the Nats are in between series in Philadelphia & Atlanta, but the Cubs are in between home series, I don't think they really want to come back out to Washington for 1 lousy, meaningless game. It should've only been made up on October 1 if it meant something for the standings (i.e. Nats half game up or back in division [Ha!], Cubs half game up/back in division, Wildcard, or home field in the NLDS series [if they won the tiebreaker on the team they are tied with). And for those people that say "Well, its the Cubs they'll bring in fans, so the Lerners need to make up the money" they just finished a week with the Cards & Cubs, 2 of the best traveling fan bases in the NL and only averaged a little over 26,000 a game. Granted, the weather sucked for the Cubs series, and I included the 2 Brewers games over the weekend, but that shouldn't matter since they got over 30,000 in each of those games. The Nats fans aren't coming back, they gave up when the GM gave up (look at how many empty seats you can find @ Nats park now compared to like June & July), and the Cubs fans aren't coming back for 1 game in the middle of the week, and honestly if I were Joe Maddon I'd treat that game like an NBA game, keep all of the stars at home so they are ready to go on Friday (they have a 2:20 game that's scheduled for Friday, and their Wednesday night game is scheduled for 8 PM) and just take the backups on the trip, with the expanded rosters you could easily do that. You may have to take 1 or 2, but you could certainly leave Baez, Contreras, & Rizzo back in Chicago and not even have them board the plane. Just so stupid all around! As for the Nats: well, the Braves responded from the Red Sox implosion by winning 3 of 4 in Arizona, so now they are 8 games back with 19 games to play. Even in the absolute best case scenario for the Nats which is them sweeping the 7 games this week, and the Braves getting swept in San Fran before coming home to get swept by the Nats they will STILL be 1.5 games up with less than 2 weeks to play. If the Nats go into that series anything more than 5 games back, which is either them losing 1 to the Phillies or the Cubs makeup, or the Braves just winning 1 in San Francisco than you might as well throw in the towel on the season. 3 games in Philly, makeup game vs. the Cubs on Thursday before 3 in Atlanta over the weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or