U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 06:04 PM

18,843 posts, read 7,328,222 times

Advertisements

BTW, easiest way to follow impact of whom plays whom. Imagine a team in 3rd- 2 back of 2 teams (no wild card possible), 3 games to play. The 2 ahead of them end season with 3 games head to head. 3rd place team, at best, lands 1 game back, as one of the 2 ahead they can, at best, pick up 1 against.

I knew NL West would end year playing each other. Leaves just the Division for Nats sole realistic path-and its about the same odds as a Powerball 5 of 5 match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 10:19 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times
Welp, had the chance to whittle it down to 6.5 and keep the elimination number at 6 for the 3rd straight day, but after opening the game with a 4-0 lead on the Marlins, the Marlins scored 2 runs in the 5th, 3 runs in the 6th to take a brief lead, added 2 in the 7th to take the lead for good after the Nats tied it in the top half, and than for good measure added another one in the 8th.

How can I take this team seriously when they give up 8 runs in the final 4 innings against the Marlins blowing a 4-0 lead in the process?? Can I just have them lose tomorrow, and have the Braves win Tuesday & Wednesday and be done with it??

Old 09-22-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Welp, had the chance to whittle it down to 6.5 and keep the elimination number at 6 for the 3rd straight day, but after opening the game with a 4-0 lead on the Marlins, the Marlins scored 2 runs in the 5th, 3 runs in the 6th to take a brief lead, added 2 in the 7th to take the lead for good after the Nats tied it in the top half, and than for good measure added another one in the 8th.

How can I take this team seriously when they give up 8 runs in the final 4 innings against the Marlins blowing a 4-0 lead in the process?? Can I just have them lose tomorrow, and have the Braves win Tuesday & Wednesday and be done with it??
If the Cards lose all 8 left and Nats will all 8 left, they tie.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:12 AM

Default 78-78

Split 2 in Miami with the first game they lost Monday being the preverbial "nail in the coffin." After losing the opening game in Atlanta to drop to 9.5 back they had won the next 2 to end the series 7.5 back. Not good when there's less than 2 weeks left but was only I think 4 game elimination number in the division. The Braves were getting crushed on Monday and the Nats were up 4-0, so they can get to 6.5 back and keep the elimination number at 4. The next night the Braves would get crushed yet again and the Nats would win, so keep that elimination number at 4 and get back to within 5.5 games. Still not good, but they would've made up 4 games in 4 days, and put at least some pressure on the Braves. What happened?? They allowed 8 runs in the final 4 innings the Marlins batted to lose that opening game, they did win Monday but that was too late after they blew it. On their Wednesday off day they saw the Braves salvage the finale of their series against the Cardinals, balloon their deficit to 7 games and drop the elimination number to 3. The next night as the Nats battled back from a 4-2 8th inning deficit to tie the Mets and force extra innings, something they've done all year reared its ugly head: unable to plate runs with RISP and less than 2 outs as the Nats stranded a Zimmerman leadoff double in the 11th as Mark Reynolds struck out on 3 pitches outside the strike zone and than Victor Robles struck out and the next half inning the Mets cashed in on their bases loaded attempt. At the same time that was going on, the Braves came from behind with a 5 run 8th inning to beat the Phillies in the opening game of that series to drop the elimination number to 1. The next night the Braves beat the Phillies again and Jacob deGrom did Jacob deGrom things (actually getting a win as a bonus) so the division officially over on September 21. The next day, on the 22, Tyler O'Neil of the Cardinals would hit a walkoff home run to defeat the Giants. Elimination number in the Wildcard: 0. Playoff odds: now officially 0, even though they had been unofficially 0 since David Bote hit that walkoff grand slam in Chicago the night of August 12. Ironic since the game they played that night might have been the best game they played this season as the finished a combined 1 hitter with a shutout, and of course lost to the Mets 8-6 on Sunday afternoon, I believe finishing with a losing record against the Mets and well on their way to a losing home record at Nats Park this year (I believe 2 games under .500 at home with 3 games to go). Final week of the season: 3 at home against the Marlins Monday to Wednesday, quite possibly the last game Bryce Harper plays in a home uniform (free agent), Ryan Zimmerman plays in ever (possible retirement but I see him coming back), Max Scherzer plays in a home uniform (intriguing trade candidate for a team that is looking for a top of the rotation pitcher to carry them [ahem Yankees I'm looking at you!, Dodgers if Kershaw opts out I'm looking at you as well]. And this season would be the perfect time to sell him because his value will NEVER be higher than it is right now, and than 3 games in Colorado to end the year beginning on Friday, quite possibly the worst road trip in MLB this season. 3 games over 1,800 miles away that will be incredibly meaningless but at least it still means something for the Rockies.

Quote:

As for how I'd rate disappointment in DC baseball wise from most disappointing to least disappointing.
2014: Had it all, had the bracket set up for a run through the NL as I believe they won the season series against every NL team. Tim Hudson said before the series we were lacking "balls" and sure enough he was right.
2018: Only reason it's not higher is because they aren't officially eliminated yet. When that expiration date comes (my guess: September 20 against the Mets) I'll rephrase this and 2018 will jump 2014.
*****drop off****
2015: Bryce had that MVP year, and we finally found out we were managed by a big idiot which saves it from the top. Other than that
***************big drop off*****************
2017: Virtually identical to the one I'm going to list right below this. Had a chance and probably should have won the NLDS, but had no chance to advance past the NLCS.
2016: Reason why this is slightly lower than 2016?? The late-season injuries to Stras & Wilson Ramos. That team definitely wasn't beating the Cubs that year, but with those 2 injuries I figured they'd lose to the Dodgers anyways, so it's not as painful.
***********another big drop off************
2012: Yes, game 5, 9th inning really sucked and I STILL hate Pete Kozma, but the overall wasn't bad. I figured they peaked a year or 2 early and they'd be right back in this same spot every year for the next 5 or 6 years and it was good to gain that experience. Little did I know the only thing they'd be gaining experience for is a worse way to lose a game 5.
2013: IIRC a lot of injuries that year and just came off the 2012 playoff run figuring they got overconfident. What I also vaguely remember about 2013 is they were like 10 games back of a playoff spot right around the beginning of August and made a great late season charge which fell about 4 or 5 games short if I remember.

So, there you have it. At least DC has the Capitals I guess??

3 games against the Phillies starting Tuesday, 3 games in Queens over the weekend. I am calling it now, lose 1 of these 3 games against the Phillies and the playoff odds will be 0%. This is the series we HAVE TO sweep as the other 3 are on the road.
I posted this on August 21, and it was uncanny how close this was. 1 day off from elimination to the division, and only 2 days off from officially playoff elimination, but at least it was in the same series. And now to officially rank the 6 years of disappointment:
1) 2018. Just all around bad. Division was set up, NL was pretty much set up as it looked like the Dodgers & Cubs would be playing in the NLDS since the Nats would probably have best record beating up on all these East patsies, so we'd only have to get through 1 and not both, and whatever happened after that happened. What a disappointment!
2014: Looking back on it, this was THE year
2015: A big idiot and a big cancer. I've been trying to forget 2015, so luckily this year will make '15 a distant memory. What's funny is even with all of the problems that team had they will finish with a better record then this group had.
2017: Wouldn't have beaten the Dodgers, but if Weiters wasn't the worst player on the field and they get by the Cubs I wonder if this year is different. I honestly don't think it would've mattered as this team was flawed but maybe beating the Cubs brings Dusty back, and maybe Dusty holds them together and this season doesn't turn to $#!t. Life's mysteries that unfortunately we'll never know because our owner's are too cheap to pay for a half-decent manager!
2012: I don't think there will ever be a time where you can shout "Pete Kozma" in DC and NOT get in a fight
2016: Definitely were not beating the Cubs that year, especially with the September injury to Strasburg and the injury the last week of the season to Ramos, and even though I had them predicted to lose to the Dodgers that year they were still up 2-1 in the series even after losing game 1, started a rookie opposite Kershaw in game 4 and than after leading 1-0 in game 5 had one of the worst sends in postseason history, which was immediately followed by a game-tying opposite field home run and than the rest of that disaster known as the 7th inning started (6 pitchers, 5 pitching changes, 4 runs), and all those moving pieces lead to one of the most lopsided matchups in history: our power hitting third baseman getting doubled switched out, and having his spot in the 9th inning come up down 1 run with the only guy on the bench left a no power hitting rookie named Wilmer Difo who was completely out of his depth against one of the greatest pitchers of that season: Clayton Kershaw.
2013: Eh I don't really remember much of this season but it really wasn't all that terrible compared to the other 5 on this list. Hit the gate with injuries right out of the gate, IIRC, played behind the 8 ball that entire season, and never recovered.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Still think Nats will end closer to Mets than WC.
Looking good on that projection.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:33 AM

Quote:

2012: Yes, game 5, 9th inning really sucked and I STILL hate Pete Kozma, but the overall wasn't bad. I figured they peaked a year or 2 early and they'd be right back in this same spot every year for the next 5 or 6 years and it was good to gain that experience. Little did I know the only thing they'd be gaining experience for is a worse way to lose a game 5.

Did you not recall the Braves of the Maddux-Glavine-Smoltz era who perpetually made the playoff show, and took the prize just once if I recall correctly?

Your posts are terrific, and I knew in '12 Nats would be good quite some time, but I also knew you have to act like each year is the only shot at the prize.

I felt that way even in '15 when Mets rotation seemed to make return trips to WS not very startling. It was an opportunity missed.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 09-24-2018 at 02:48 AM..

Old 09-29-2018, 10:36 PM

So, the Nats can't even get a "who's starting" story straight. Good grief!

This was from WaPo's Nats beat reporter Chelsea Janes about an hour and half before game time Saturday:

Then this was Janes a little after the game ended:
https://twitter.com/chelsea_janes/st...48921125801984

And here is the reason for this:
https://twitter.com/chelsea_janes/st...52011593891840

And really this makes no sense, I'm calling complete BS! The advantage of winning the division vs. only being a Wildcard is a huge one! Not only is the runner up in the West going to be a Wildcard, they are going be the 2nd Wildcard meaning they have to go on the road. So, not only is the division vs. Wildcard in play, what is ALSO in play is homefield in the DS against the Braves, as the Braves will play whichever team wins the West, and currently all 3 have identical 90-71 records, but no idea who wins the tiebreaker. And why would whoever won this game decide who made the playoffs?? The Cards loss & Rockies win Friday guaranteed the Roxs were in the playoffs, and the Roxs/Nats series was irrelevant to who got the final slot vs. the Dodgers & Cubs, so something very fishy going on here. We'll see if it gets moved by gametime, but the Roxs better not take Fedde lightly. He's not that good, but has the capability of keeping the Nats in the game, and for likely the first time in the last 6 years the Nats will be playing in a meaningful game where they have absolutely NO pressure to win, where the pressure is entirely on the other team. The Nats have collapsed in this scenario's let's see if they can break that mold for 1 game at least.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:34 AM

This is an incredibly stupid decision.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
This is an incredibly stupid decision.
I'm happy he's not starting as he's 34, not getting younger, so should take every advantage of saving innings from him when we can, especially when you consider all the extra playoff innings he racked up between 2011-17 in Detroit & St. Louis. But to start the week saying "Max will start if the game means something" to 90 minutes before Saturday's game starting stating "Max will start Sunday" only to announce afterwards "he is not starting" and that lame excuse for why he's not starting is stupid. Just tell the media after he started Tuesday "that was Max's last start of the year, we are pitching Fedde/Tanner on Sunday" and be done with it. (Speaking of Tanner, I know his wife had the kid, but where has he been?? The kid was born like 2 weeks ago??)

Old 09-30-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I'm happy he's not starting as he's 34, not getting younger, so should take every advantage of saving innings from him when we can, especially when you consider all the extra playoff innings he racked up between 2011-17 in Detroit & St. Louis. But to start the week saying "Max will start if the game means something" to 90 minutes before Saturday's game starting stating "Max will start Sunday" only to announce afterwards "he is not starting" and that lame excuse for why he's not starting is stupid. Just tell the media after he started Tuesday "that was Max's last start of the year, we are pitching Fedde/Tanner on Sunday" and be done with it. (Speaking of Tanner, I know his wife had the kid, but where has he been?? The kid was born like 2 weeks ago??)
My hunch is rebuild mode starts in DC now anyway. One more start in '18 from Max does not change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or