U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2018, 01:18 PM

6,544 posts, read 4,493,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
My hunch is rebuild mode starts in DC now anyway. One more start in '18 from Max does not change that.
They don't need a rebuild, they just need a few free agent signings to fill holes. Sign DJ LaMahieu to play 2b, either Patrick Corbin or Dallas Keuchel as a left-handed SP, and Yasmani Grandal or Jonathan Lecroy to play catcher and I believe they are right back on top of the division in 2019, or at least challenging. IF they want to go into a rebuild, Max Scherzer should be the first player they shop, his value will never be higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 03:09 PM

18,883 posts, read 7,342,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
They don't need a rebuild, they just need a few free agent signings to fill holes. Sign DJ LaMahieu to play 2b, either Patrick Corbin or Dallas Keuchel as a left-handed SP, and Yasmani Grandal or Jonathan Lecroy to play catcher and I believe they are right back on top of the division in 2019, or at least challenging. IF they want to go into a rebuild, Max Scherzer should be the first player they shop, his value will never be higher.
I think the losses of Murph & Harper will be too much to overcome for the Nats.

I also think Braves have not crested, and I think Phils will add pieces this offseason.

I am not sure on Mets until I see what we add this winter. Fred is against a rebuild at 81, so he may spend for 1-2 years. Given our 2nd half, we will not need big impact guys, but we should add a catcher. Realmuto would be ideal. I think Lecroy is on his downside, btw. I do not want $$$$ spent on bullpen, as IMO those guys results are unpredictable no matter what you spend.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:13 PM

2,366 posts, read 877,174 times
Your team needs a rebuild. They collapsed like a cheap tent. Their stats were not good. All Harper cared about was hitting hr's. Washington Senators all over again. No depth. My Braves won't go far in the playoffs, but at least they rebuilt and are going in the right direction. You are all about to go through 2-3 years of misery.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Your team needs a rebuild. They collapsed like a cheap tent. Their stats were not good. All Harper cared about was hitting hr's. Washington Senators all over again. No depth. My Braves won't go far in the playoffs, but at least they rebuilt and are going in the right direction. You are all about to go through 2-3 years of misery.

Worry about your own team! Nats are perfectly fine with Turner, Soto, Robles, Eaton, 1 more year of Rendon, Strasburg. Carter Kieboom, a MI is still in the system. They don't need a blowup. Your "folding like a cheap suit" notion would have more credibility if they actually did that.....collapsed once they got rid of Murphy, Adams, Kelly, Gio, Madson, but in fact September, after all of those guys were gone was probably the best month of the season they played. They had more wins in May overall, but they were playing a bunch of bad teams, we played almost nothing but playoff teams in September up until the final 4 series and competed in every one of those series.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Nats are playing great, but Braves IMO win division.
My 5-30-18 post. You disagree, 7express.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:24 PM

6,458 posts, read 4,391,543 times
On 8-1-18 we were speaking about "Probability", how did that work out especially when the Nats were supposed to have actually had a chance?

Not even close enough finishing (I recall) only 5 games better than the Mets with the Phillies supposedly winning the division (lol!) finishing only 3 games better than the Mets..

Old 10-10-2018, 06:42 PM

Nats finished right around .500, and spent most of last 3 months in that area.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:26 PM

Nats will go into next season with a platoon behind the plate.

About a few weeks ago they signed Kurt Suzuki who played for the Nats 3 or 4 years ago, and than earlier this weekend traded for Cleveland Indians All Star catcher Yan Gomes. The fact they ended up trading a minor leaguer instead of Michael A Taylor which was first reported means 4 things:
1) Either they (Nats management) know Harper is resigning so they are going to move either Taylor, Eaton, or Robles for something bigger
2) Either they (Nats management) knows Harper is NOT resigning so they need to keep Taylor around as a 4th OF for OF insurance. Makes no sense to keep Taylor around if you know Harper is resigning
3) This officially, for good, ends the year-long drama & saga Realmuto to the Nats rumors.
4) And this officially marks the end of the Matt Weiters experiment in Washington, and good grief, was that about time!

Old 12-01-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Nats will go into next season with a platoon behind the plate.

About a few weeks ago they signed Kurt Suzuki who played for the Nats 3 or 4 years ago, and than earlier this weekend traded for Cleveland Indians All Star catcher Yan Gomes. The fact they ended up trading a minor leaguer instead of Michael A Taylor which was first reported means 4 things:
1) Either they (Nats management) know Harper is resigning so they are going to move either Taylor, Eaton, or Robles for something bigger
2) Either they (Nats management) knows Harper is NOT resigning so they need to keep Taylor around as a 4th OF for OF insurance. Makes no sense to keep Taylor around if you know Harper is resigning
3) This officially, for good, ends the year-long drama & saga Realmuto to the Nats rumors.
4) And this officially marks the end of the Matt Weiters experiment in Washington, and good grief, was that about time!
Both signings btw are quite good.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:22 PM

Smart money was on Patrick Corbin signing with the Yankees or Phillies. Neither of them ended up with his services in the end. GM Mike Rizzo acquired his services for $140 million and 6 years. High price for a pitcher with tommy john surgery 2 years ago, but that gives the Nats another top of the rotation pitcher to hopefully push them past the NLDS and beyond. I love the signing, as I said SP was one of the spots that should be upgraded, I'm just not sure I liked the price associated with it, figured they'd go after Keuchel (another lefty) instead, but if he helps the team win postseason series than it could be $940 million and I wouldn't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or