U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-06-2018, 02:32 AM
 
18,895 posts, read 7,356,703 times
Reputation: 8074

Advertisements

NL East , shockingly, has been most active division, and I do like this signing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-06-2018, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,550 posts, read 4,499,759 times
Reputation: 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
NL East , shockingly, has been most active division, and I do like this signing.
Yup. Divisional games should be fun to watch and really I don't think the Phillies, Braves, Nats and even Mets are done yet, with Machado, Harper & Realmuto all in the news along with Indians ace Corey Kluber who could all find up in the NL East by the start of next season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2018, 08:23 PM
 
18,895 posts, read 7,356,703 times
Reputation: 8074
Tanner Roark for Tanner Rainey!

ESPN called it first Tanner for Tanner deal ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2019, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,550 posts, read 4,499,759 times
Reputation: 2482
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
They don't need a rebuild, they just need a few free agent signings to fill holes. Sign DJ LaMahieu to play 2b, either Patrick Corbin or Dallas Keuchel as a left-handed SP, and Yasmani Grandal or Jonathan Lecroy to play catcher and I believe they are right back on top of the division in 2019, or at least challenging. IF they want to go into a rebuild, Max Scherzer should be the first player they shop, his value will never be higher.
My post from 9-30.

It wasn't LaMahieu but Brian Dozier is playing second base now. I don't mind that at all, leads off, hits for power, right handed to give a bit of a balance in the lineup.
They signed Corbin for the LH starter I said they needed. Surprisingly Keuchel is still on the market, if they wanted to corner the market on LH starting pitchers I guess they could sign him too...
It wasn't Grandal or LeCroy, but they reinvested in the backstop with old Nat Kurt Suzuki and Indians all star catcher Yan Gomes. Suzuki was a FA and the Gomes trade was just for a lottery ticket minor leaguer, so 2 inexpensive options that will be miles better than the catchers they had last year.
Revamped the bullpen with the Trevor Rosenthal signing & the Kyle Barraclaugh trade from the Marlins.
The longer Harper remains unsigned, the more likely it is he comes back to DC. I still wouldn't go more than $250/10, opt out after 4, but even without Harper, every area I said they needed to improve on they did. And they've needed to because the division has been keeping pace with the Braves signing Donaldson, Mets getting Cano & Edwin Diaz, Phillies landing Segura and I still believe they'll end up with 1 of Machado/Harper. A+ off season so far for Rizzo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2019, 08:16 PM
 
18,895 posts, read 7,356,703 times
Reputation: 8074
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
My post from 9-30.

It wasn't LaMahieu but Brian Dozier is playing second base now. I don't mind that at all, leads off, hits for power, right handed to give a bit of a balance in the lineup.
They signed Corbin for the LH starter I said they needed. Surprisingly Keuchel is still on the market, if they wanted to corner the market on LH starting pitchers I guess they could sign him too...
It wasn't Grandal or LeCroy, but they reinvested in the backstop with old Nat Kurt Suzuki and Indians all star catcher Yan Gomes. Suzuki was a FA and the Gomes trade was just for a lottery ticket minor leaguer, so 2 inexpensive options that will be miles better than the catchers they had last year.
Revamped the bullpen with the Trevor Rosenthal signing & the Kyle Barraclaugh trade from the Marlins.
The longer Harper remains unsigned, the more likely it is he comes back to DC. I still wouldn't go more than $250/10, opt out after 4, but even without Harper, every area I said they needed to improve on they did. And they've needed to because the division has been keeping pace with the Braves signing Donaldson, Mets getting Cano & Edwin Diaz, Phillies landing Segura and I still believe they'll end up with 1 of Machado/Harper. A+ off season so far for Rizzo!
I'd have said Mets added Ramos plus Diaz, as Ramos IMO > important than Cano. After all, when Cano is toast, McNeil looked awesome.

NL East will be fun, and I like that Mets are more athletic, as I miss speed, hit and run, etc, which used to be so much more prevalent in NL baseball.

The 4 NL East Big League teams all look better.

The Fish should be ina Pop Warner League.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2019, 06:22 PM
 
18,895 posts, read 7,356,703 times
Reputation: 8074
It looks like Nats were trying to lose Harper all along. Do you agree, 7express?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2019, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,550 posts, read 4,499,759 times
Reputation: 2482
Yup. I'd put odds on close to 90% he winds up with the Phillies when it's all said and done. It will suck to see him in a Phillies uniform 19 times a year, but in the long run it actually hurts their team. I think had they signed Manny instead they could be a legitimate first place team, with Harper I still think they are in the 2-3 range.

As I've said on here before if given the option between resigning Harper long term & Rendon long term, I would've always taken Rendon, and it's not a guarantee they'll re up either but they definitely weren't getting both. Rendon is less of a "distraction" and plays a more premium position, as Harper is well on his way to becoming an every day 1b while Rendon is still a gold glove caliber 3b. With that said, if he wants to come back for a 1 or 2 year deal at $20-$25 million per and try his FA luck again at age 27-28 than welcome back, but no way do I want him getting Manny money at Manny years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2019, 01:25 PM
 
138 posts, read 201,930 times
Reputation: 147
I admit that I don't know much about baseball, but the more I watch, the more I learn.

7express, would you mind elaborating more on why you would choose Rendon over Harper and why Harper will hurt the Phillies if they sign him? I don't disagree, but so many Nationals fans seem to think Harper is some sort of god and I don't understand that. Maybe he was good at one time, but it seems like he hasn't been playing well for a while, plus his moody attitude sometimes appears to bring the whole team down. Rendon seems like a more consistent player and never seems to be a distraction as you mentioned above. I think if Rendon wasn't so humble and mild-mannered, he'd probably be a more well-known player. I've often mentioned his name to other Nationals fans and they're like, "who?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2019, 04:21 PM
 
301 posts, read 65,315 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post
I admit that I don't know much about baseball, but the more I watch, the more I learn.

7express, would you mind elaborating more on why you would choose Rendon over Harper and why Harper will hurt the Phillies if they sign him? I don't disagree, but so many Nationals fans seem to think Harper is some sort of god and I don't understand that. Maybe he was good at one time, but it seems like he hasn't been playing well for a while, plus his moody attitude sometimes appears to bring the whole team down. Rendon seems like a more consistent player and never seems to be a distraction as you mentioned above. I think if Rendon wasn't so humble and mild-mannered, he'd probably be a more well-known player. I've often mentioned his name to other Nationals fans and they're like, "who?"
Harper was
the 17th best hitter in baseball last year
the 8th best over the last 2 years
The 22nd best over the last 3 years
The 7th best over the last 4 years
The 9th best over the last 5 years
And the 10th best since he came into the league.

He's one of the best hitters in baseball

He also came into the league with an incredible amount of hype.
He was the #1 pick
People were already talking about him when he was in high school.
https://www.si.com/vault/2009/06/08/...seballs-lebron

He hasn't lived up to expectations, but in 2015 he had one of the top seasons of all time.

He and Stephen Strasburg (and Rendon and Zimmerman and others) led the Nationals to the first sustained success the Nationals had in years.


You're definitely right that Rendon is underrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2019, 06:40 PM
 
18,895 posts, read 7,356,703 times
Reputation: 8074
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualBaseball View Post
Harper was
the 17th best hitter in baseball last year
the 8th best over the last 2 years
The 22nd best over the last 3 years
The 7th best over the last 4 years
The 9th best over the last 5 years
And the 10th best since he came into the league.

He's one of the best hitters in baseball

He also came into the league with an incredible amount of hype.
He was the #1 pick
People were already talking about him when he was in high school.
https://www.si.com/vault/2009/06/08/...seballs-lebron

He hasn't lived up to expectations, but in 2015 he had one of the top seasons of all time.

He and Stephen Strasburg (and Rendon and Zimmerman and others) led the Nationals to the first sustained success the Nationals had in years.


You're definitely right that Rendon is underrated.
His WAR in 2018 1.3.

Nothing to have a parade over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top