U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2019, 03:16 PM

6,546 posts, read 4,496,603 times

Advertisements

It was actually 2-12 in series openers not that it matters much anyways. 2-8 sucks, 2-12 still sucks, 16-25 really sucks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 06:28 PM

18,890 posts, read 7,353,404 times
NL East is not going to be as good as I though. Each team big flaws. Phils have played easiest sched-now hit hard part. Other 3 will get some easy teams in next several weeks.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:54 AM

Default 18-26

What an absolute disaster! This made the Chernobyl disaster look like a backyard "make a small fire so we can make some S'mores" (and speaking of S'mores, Panera Bread is bringing a S'mores cookie to their menu sometime in the next month and it is supposed to be very good. Try it out when it becomes available).

11 runs, 12 hits, 5 home runs allowed in 3 innings of work was the line from 5 Nationals relievers who replaced Max Scherzer after 6 who didn't pitch up to his standards, but certainly wasn't terrible either (3 runs, 6 hits, 4 walks, 8 strikeouts, 1 home run allowed in 6 innings) but left only trailing 3-2 before the game got an oil tanker of fuel dumped on it and lit it on fire. By the way I don't want to know what 11 runs in 3 innings comes out to in regards to ERA, but it's not pretty and probably in the 20's if I had to case. That right there is exhibit A for why this team is going NOWHERE but a .500 record and a 3rd place finish in the division. At this rate even I'm not even going to go see them in DC when I'm down there in late July. The only saving grace will be the cheap, inexpensive tickets. Also, Kris Bryant had homers in the 7th, 8th and 9th innings, the second player in history to homer in the 7th, 8th and 9th, and the 12th player overall to homer in 3 straight innings, so at least the bullpen is so bad they actually made history If you're going to be bad, you may as well be historically bad, right??

Edit: By the way 11 runs in 3 innings comes out to an ERA of 33. Woof!!

Old 05-20-2019, 01:10 AM

Default 19-27

While the record may not be good they are certainly putting up a fight in the games they lose unlike a certain other east team that was completely legarthic for an entire weekend in Florida, so I'm not going to blast them like I usually do following a loss, I come to praise.

According to an ESPN graphic (take that with a grain of salt I'd trust Wiki more than ESPN) they have 5 wins this year when tied or trailing after 7 innings. When almost 25% of your overall wins you are tied or trailing after 7 and you come back to win is pretty good. That's the one stat I'd point out for why Martinez should actually keep his job. If the players wanted him gone they could've easily packed up and quit those games. Tonight, against a pretty good pitcher in Kyle Hendricks, a pitcher who 3 starts prior threw a complete game 81 pitch shutout against who was at the time the best in the NL Cardinals, got spotted leads of 4-0 and 6-1, hadn't allowed a base runner in 4 innings, and hadn't allowed a hit through 5 innings came almost all the way back to only lose the game by 1. If Soto doesn't lose track of the outs on the bases, the Nats very well could've won the game, or at the least continued into extra innings. Kyle McGowan, Wander Suero, Matt Grace, and Kyle Barraclough allowed only 2 runs after Jeremy Hellickson stunk up the yard again, walking the entire ballpark in the process. Why he continues to go out there every 5th day sporting a 6 ERA, and few innings because he can't go through an order 3 times while there's a starting pitcher sitting on the couch that can do both I have no idea. I get it, it's probably rearranging deck chairs on the Titantic after it has already struck the iceberg, but there's got to be someone at AAA Fresno or AA Harrisburg that can do as good of a job if not better then Hellickson has been doing so far. Finally that was the end of the 25 game gauntlet schedule (sorry I'm not counting the 4 games in New York now) and it went about as I expected 8-15, and now the schedule opens up a bit here, so hopefully they can start to get some sweeps here. Outside of the 2 road games in Atlanta next week, they don't have another road series against a team that's currently over .500 until after the All Star Break. That could change as the Padres sit at 23-24 at the moment and they go to sunny San Diego for 4 games in June, but outside of that series and the 2 in Atlanta, the rest of the first half road schedule is against the dregs of baseball. If they make a move, the time is now!

Old 05-20-2019, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
While the record may not be good they are certainly putting up a fight in the games they lose unlike a certain other east team that was completely legarthic for an entire weekend in Florida, so I'm not going to blast them like I usually do following a loss, I come to praise.

According to an ESPN graphic (take that with a grain of salt I'd trust Wiki more than ESPN) they have 5 wins this year when tied or trailing after 7 innings. When almost 25% of your overall wins you are tied or trailing after 7 and you come back to win is pretty good. That's the one stat I'd point out for why Martinez should actually keep his job.
I agree. I see a bit of Terry Collins Met teams of 0215 and 2016 in Nats. When things most bleak, they are not quitting, at least not the position players nor starters, and I credit a manager when I see that, btw, every time.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:11 PM

The Tanner for Tanner pitcher makes his debut in the 6th tonight.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I agree. I see a bit of Terry Collins Met teams of 0215 and 2016 in Nats. When things most bleak, they are not quitting, at least not the position players nor starters, and I credit a manager when I see that, btw, every time.
2015 nd 2016, obviously. Terry , for the record, did not manage the 0215 Mets. LOL

Old 05-21-2019, 12:07 AM

Default 19-28

Ho hum, another series opening loss. I believe that's 2-13 in series openers this year, just pathetic!

Old 05-22-2019, 02:49 PM

Default 19-29

Welp, RIP to the 2019 Nationals season . The past 2 weeks they've been doing just enough to not get officially buried from managing a split out in LA, winning the home series against the Mets, and not getting swept by the Cubs, but sooner or later that dagger was going to come, and it came on Tuesday night. They needed at least 3 out of 4, if not 4 out of 4 in Queens, and with Corbin, Strasburg, and Scherzer starting 3 of the 4 games you had to like their chances of at least winning 3 and surviving another , with the 4 game started by Erick Fedde who is quietly having a pretty good season. Corbin was off Monday night, and they lost yet another series opener (their 12th in 14 attempts) which made the final 3 games absolute must wins. A pitchers duel between Fedde and Zack Wheeler turned into a "whatever you can do, I can do worse" battle between the Mets & Nationals bullpens as the Nats took a 2 run lead on a Dozier home run, J.D. Davis had a pinch hit 3 run homer in the bottom half to put the Mets up, 2 doubles in the 8th gave the Nats the lead back before Pete Alonso tied it in the bottom half. The Nats wasted a 2nd & 3rd 1 out opportunity in the 9th, and in the bottom half following 2 walks and a sac bunt, Amed Rosario hit a chopper to short which Turner stayed back on, and Rosario, hustling down the line from the moment he left the batters box, beat it out by a step. 6th Mets run on the day, and the final dagger in the Nats hearts for 2016. A walkoff infield chopper to unofficially end their season. As I said on the Mets team thread all the credit to Rosario for beating that play out. With the situation at hand (2 outs, runners on 2nd & 3rd) Turner needs to charge that ball and not sit back and wait on it, but Rosario busting his ass down the line made that play happen, made the Mets win happen, and made the Nats season go kaput. I haven't been more embarrassed to be a Nats/Expos fan in my life, this is a team with a payroll approaching $200 million, and they are on pace for over 100 losses. I had more fun watching the wretched 06-10 95+ losses Nationals teams, at least those teams were expected to be bad. This team I thought could win the NL East (Ha!) and now is on the clock for the date the Marlins pass them in the standings.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:34 PM

1,506 posts, read 2,135,687 times
You gotta be kidding me. Put the blame on Trey Turner for the ****ty season the Nats are having. Hes a week off IL for a broken bone. Hes played outstanding since his return and you want to throw him under the bus. BS ! Ill be so happy when Trey gets to a team that appreciates his talent and efforts. PS: I love the manager but this is dj vu from last year. Not sure if the problem is him or just the lack of talent hes been given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or