U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 01:12 AM

6,551 posts, read 4,502,743 times

Advertisements

Nats 11 @ D'Backs 1.

What a laugher that one was in Phoenix. Span homered on the second pitch of the game which set the tone for how Josh Collmenter's night would be: he finished with a line of (beware this line is rated R, not suitable for children, so cover their eyes!) 8 hits, 9 runs allowed (9 earned), 1 BB, 0 strike outs, 2 home runs allowed in 1 1/3; 47 pitches to record just 4 outs. Vidal Nuno recalled from AAA earlier in the day actually pitched pretty well: 6 2/3 allowing only 2 runs and striking out 8...he actually had more strikeouts than Scherzer did (8 to 6). If you had told me Monday afternoon that Nuno would not only have more strikeouts than Scherzer did but would actually bat 3 times in this game I would've checked you into a mental asylum. Yunel Escobar finished 5-5, the second time in the last 7 days he's recorded 5 hits in a game after not having accomplished the feat in his career before last Monday! Escobar also became the first Nationals player to record multiple 5+ hit games in a single season, and only the 3rd Nat who's done it multiple times: Ian Desmond accomplished it twice (in 2011 & than again in 2014), Denard Span did it last year, and earlier this year in that 13-12 comeback game vs. Braves.
Tuesday's pitching matchup is Stephen Strasburg for the Nats vs. Rubby de la Rosa for the D'Backs. Another midnight snack with the Nats game, as this one starts at 9:40 once again. Wednesday's game will be dinner with the Nats (3:40 start time), before we go back to the midnight snack games Thursday & Friday (10:10 starts both nights).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 01:50 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,318,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Sorry Major Barbara I didn't see your post before I did mine
No problem. I'm just a bench guy, a role player, a from time to time pinch-hitting sort

Last edited by Major Barbara; 05-12-2015 at 02:08 PM..

Old 05-12-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
No problem. I'm just a bench guy, a role player, a from time to time pinch-hitting sort

I'm going to need you to start for me next week. I'll be out of the country from the 17th to the 31st so I doubt I'll be able to get to much recaps especially considering where I'll be (Spain & France) the games will start in the middle of the night (1 AM most days, 2 AM when they are in Chicago), so I'll need you to cover for me those 2 weeks!

Old 05-13-2015, 11:27 AM

Default 18-16

Nats 6 @ D'Backs 14.

For as good as Monday's win was, this game was just as bad. Strasburg had another ineffective outing, allowing 8 runs in just 3 1/3 innings pitched. Harper homered, and Mark Trumbo homered twice for the D'Backs. Aside from Harper's home run, the only other highlight for the Nats this game was relief pitcher Sammy Solis getting his first career base hit in front of family and friends in the 4th inning, and reserve OF Clint Robinson recording his first career strikeout (of Aaron Hill no less!) pitching the 8th inning. Hopefully we can win the series today.

Pitching matchup is Gio Gonzalez for the Nats vs. Jeremy Hellickson who has been atrocious his first year in the desert. Game time slated for a respectable 3:40 PM start. Nats start a 4 game series in San Diego on Thursday.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:18 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,658,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Nats 6 @ D'Backs 14.

For as good as Monday's win was, this game was just as bad. Strasburg had another ineffective outing, allowing 8 runs in just 3 1/3 innings pitched. Harper homered, and Mark Trumbo homered twice for the D'Backs. Aside from Harper's home run, the only other highlight for the Nats this game was relief pitcher Sammy Solis getting his first career base hit in front of family and friends in the 4th inning, and reserve OF Clint Robinson recording his first career strikeout (of Aaron Hill no less!) pitching the 8th inning. Hopefully we can win the series today.

Pitching matchup is Gio Gonzalez for the Nats vs. Jeremy Hellickson who has been atrocious his first year in the desert. Game time slated for a respectable 3:40 PM start. Nats start a 4 game series in San Diego on Thursday.
This is concerning about Stras. I'm not really sure we should keep investing in him. I'm not sure he's going to be any better than he is right now. I think most of his struggle is mental.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
This is concerning about Stras. I'm not really sure we should keep investing in him. I'm not sure he's going to be any better than he is right now. I think most of his struggle is mental.

I agree. If given the choice between resigning Zimmermann this year or Strasburg next year I'd rather give the extension to J Zimm this year and let Stras walk after next season when he becomes a FA.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:20 PM

Default 19-16

Nats 9 @ D'Backs 6.

Back and forth game. D'Backs got on the board first, and then each team responded with 3 run innings: Werth got the Nats on the board with a 3 run homer in the top of the 3rd, and the D'Backs came back with a 3 run inning of their own in the bottom half to re-take the lead the last run aided by a Desmond error, his first in the last 20 games. D'Backs added another run in the 5th when Paul Goldschmidt tripled to the RF alley, and A.J. Pollack singled him in. Nats tied it in the 6th on a Tyler Moore home run. Game stayed tied until the bottom of the 8th when Yasmany Tomas gave the D'Backs the lead with lead to the 9th inning Nats fireworks! Addison Reed, D'Backs closer came in, got Clint Robinson to ground out innocently to third before he surrendered 2 walks to Span & Werth sandwiched around an Escobar single to load the bases to bring up......Michael Taylor?? Yup, Taylor stepped up and launched a grand-slam on the second pitch to the deepest part of the ballpark dead center field to give the Nats a 9-6 lead. As for the reason Taylor was batting behind Werth there: Harper had gotten ejected, along with Matt Williams for arguing balls and strikes in the 7th. Storen struck out the side to make it a happy, short, flight to San Diego, who will probably land in San Diego AND get to the hotel since the airport is just outside downtown before the Padres even start their game in Seattle tonight: 10:10 Eastern, 7:10 local time.

Thursday starts a 4 game set with those aforementioned Padres. Thursday's pitching matchup is Doug Fister for the Nats vs. Tyson Ross for the Padres. This is another midnight snack with the Nats game as it starts at 10:10 Eastern.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:06 AM

Default 19-17

Nats 3 @ Padres 8.

2 hour rain delay AFTER Span had already taken his AB really threw off Fister. he got the first 2 outs in first, then gave up 4 straight hits including a 3 run homer to ex-Nat product Derek Norris. In the 2nd inning, Fister got the first 2 outs again, and then faltered for the second straight inning allowing 5 straight base runners on 4 hits. Corey Spangenberger finished with 2 home runs in the game. Nats were never really a threat after the Pads went up 7-0 but they did chip away.

Friday's matchup is Jordan Zimmerman for the Nats vs. Oradismir Despaigne (I already know I spelled BOTH his first & last name wrong, lol). Game time slated for 10:10 PM. Hopefully that one ends before 2:55 in the morning!

Old 05-15-2015, 11:10 PM

Default 20-17

Nats 10 @ Padres 0.

Nats got all the runs they needed in the first inning. 7 guys reached base in the first, including the first 5 batters of the game, 5 of the 16 total hits came in the first inning, scoring 4 runs. Jordan Zimmermann had an official AB (grounded out to end first) before he threw a single pitch. Harper hit his 13th home run later on in the game, and the Nats had it on cruise control after that. The Pads biggest scoring threat came in the 5th when they loaded the bases with 0 outs, but a pop out, strike out, and ground out ended that threat. After that inning, the Pads never got another base runner past 1st base. AJ Cole, recalled when the team placed Doug Fister on the DL, pitched the final 3 innings for his first career major league save. With both Monday & Thursday of next week off, we don't need another starter until May 26 against Cincinnati.

Saturday's pitching matchup is Max Scherzer for the Nats vs. Andrew Cashner of the Pads. Game time slated for 8:40 PM.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:05 PM

Default 21-17

Nats 4 @ Padres 1.

4 of the first 6 Nats batters reached base which got them out to an early 3-0 lead before the Padres came up to bat. Span would add a run in the 4th on a sac fly to make it 4-1. The Padres would get on the board in the 9th inning, which allowed Storen to record the final out and get a save.

Series wraps up Sunday afternoon with a pitching matchup of Stephen Strasburg for the Nats vs. Ian Kennedy for the Fathers. Game time slated for 4:10 PM. Nats start a quick 2 game interleague home series with the Yankees which are sandwiched around 2 off days (Monday & Thursday), then host Phillies for 3 over the weekend. After that they play 3 in Cincinnati and 4 in Chicago against the Cubs. I'm leaving for Europe tomorrow back on the 30th, so hopefully Major Barbara can continue the thread in my absence (or someone else JustTitans??) until I get back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or