U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 04:23 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,322,164 times

Advertisements

27-19

Another day with the Wrigley wind blowing out turned into a low-scoring squeaker. And where low-power Denard Span had led off with an HR yesterday, today it was the typically also punchless Dexter Fowler who went deep from the 1-hole to start things off for the Cubs. Goose eggs ensued however, as Jordan Zimmermann bent a little here and there but gave up nothing more in a 7-inning stint. Sinker-slinging righty Kyle Hendricks was meanwhile just as good out there for the Northsiders, and maybe even better. He'd made it through six scoreless frames when he had to face Harper to open the seventh. The Kid was kind of disappointed at popping up until the wind huffed and puffed and blew the ball into the left filed seats for homer #17 and a tie game. Then in the top of the eighth, slugger Span came a-calling once again, ripping a solo shot off Pedro Strop to put the Nats in front. Six outs to get for the capitalists, but one of those was Khris Bryant, and he just tore up an offering from Aaron Barrett to bring the Cubbies back to even at 2. Bryant might be good or something.

Some weirdness followed in the ninth. Yunel Escobar had singled off Hector Rendon and then stole second as Ryan Zimmerman fanned for the second out. Apparently encouraged, Escobar shortly lit out for third while Rondon was still holding the ball. A quick step-off and toss, and the threat was over and done with.

The Nats then turned to lefty Matt Grace to hold the fort, but Chris Coghlan was able to notch a one-out single. PH Jonathan Herrera managed just a slow roller to Zimmerman at first. He fired over to get the lead runner, but even with Coghlan bearing down on him, Ian Desmond thought he had an outside chance to turn two. His throw however went into the Cubs dugout, sending Herrera on to second. Surprisingly perhaps, he did not mount a sudden charge toward third, but instead waited patiently until Addison Russell floated a fly-ball double over the drawn-in outfield to end the game. Next thing you know, they'll name a street next to Wrigley after that kid.

In any case, it was a fan's game, a classic back-and-forth nail-biter that just didn't happen to go the Nats way in the end. Next up, it's Scherzer vs Lester. The way things are going, it'll probably end up 16-14.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 08:41 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,680,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
So you were all ga-ga into Strasburg when? And judging from all the #37 jerseys and tees showing up at the ball park every day, I think you're kind of going this one alone for now.
I think there are some people who are definitely jumping on this side of the fence. I was excited about his talent but honestly even last year, he has been underwhelming. He is very inconsistent and he is a mental midget when things go poorly. The talent is there, but I don't know if he is capable of handling the mentality of being a major league pitcher. Maybe he has too much pressure on him, but to me, I am more inclined to get rid of him, if keeping him is going to prevent us from keeping J-Zim. If he ends up leaving and we keep Strasburg, I will be very disappointed. It's clear who the better pitcher is.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:42 PM

Default 28-19

The rubber game of what has been a hard-fought and entertaining series between two of the league's more talented and interesting teams. And quite the marquee mound matchup for the finale as well -- Max Scherzer against Jon Lester. How the talking heads did drool!

There was nothing doing for either side over the first three innings, but the Nats did have Escobar and Harper lead off the fourth with a base hit and a walk. Ryan Zimmerman then rolled into your basic 6-4-3 DP, but Starlin Castro threw the relay away, allowing Escobar to come around and score. Things then got quiet again, but in the top of the sixth, Bryce Harper led off. A little oppo-boppo magic made it 2-0 off a slicing liner into the seats in left-center. The starters each exited after seven innings, and each with a standout line befitting his reputation.

James Russell walked the first man he faced in the eighth, but Jason Motte came in to quickly set down the side. Matt Grace gave up a lead-off single in the bottom of the eighth, but Casey Janssen came in to quickly set down the side. Lefty Travis Wood took the ninth for the Cubbies, but the vastly improved bat of Danny Espinosa took him out with one down to make it a 3-0 ballgame. On came Drew Storen to try to nail it down. Gave up a two-out infield hit to Jonathan Herrera, but got Addison Russell to rap into a 4-6 force-out to bring the proceedings to a close.

So the Nats got two out of three at Wrigley, while the Cubs learned that they could play toe-to-toe with anybody in the league. It'll be interesting to see how these two teams fare going forward. Both were off on Thursday, with the Nats going on to battle a struggling Cincinnati ballclub at Great American on Friday, while the Cubs stay home to take on a Royals squad that can't be any too happy about having dropped four straight.

Last edited by Major Barbara; 05-29-2015 at 03:52 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
I think there are some people who are definitely jumping on this side of the fence. I was excited about his talent but honestly even last year, he has been underwhelming. He is very inconsistent and he is a mental midget when things go poorly. The talent is there, but I don't know if he is capable of handling the mentality of being a major league pitcher. Maybe he has too much pressure on him, but to me, I am more inclined to get rid of him, if keeping him is going to prevent us from keeping J-Zim. If he ends up leaving and we keep Strasburg, I will be very disappointed. It's clear who the better pitcher is.
If you want to look for Strasburg problems, check the back, shoulder, and elbow. The head-case nonsense is just babble. Meanwhile, Strasburg is under team control through 2016. Zimmermann and Fister are free agents at the end of this year, along with Span and Desmond. The "free" part "free agent" means they are free to do whatever they want.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I'm leaving for Europe tomorrow back on the 30th, so hopefully Major Barbara can continue the thread in my absence (or someone else JustTitans??) until I get back.
Did pretty good on my watch. Handing the reins back with the Nats on a two-game losing streak, though.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:55 AM

6,559 posts, read 4,518,770 times
Default 28-21

Missed the game today as I was in transit back from Europe.

Heard that Taylor hit a home run, and we were leading into the 8th when Casey Janssen gave up 4 in the 8th to lose it. Reds go for the sweep tomorrow.

Pitching matchup is Tanner Roark for the Nats vs. Michael Lorenzen for the Reds; game time slated for 1:10 Eastern.

P.S. as to the Strasburg debate, I agree with justtitans, I think he's already reached his peak and I don't think he'll ever do well in the playoffs. I think I've said it on this thread before I left but in 2017 I would rather have a staff of: Jordan Zimmermann, Gio (I think 17 is his last year under contract), Tanner Roark (he NEEDS to be starting permanently NOW!!!!), __________ (fill in X free agent/trade here) and some combination of Lucas Giolitto (may not be ready by opening week, but should see a call up by June of that year at the latest imo)/Blake Treinen/Taylor Hill/A.J Cole/Taylor Jordan to fill the gap until Giolitto is ready then a starting rotation of: Strasburg, Fister, Gio, Roark (like I said he needs to start permanently now) and either that Giolitto pile/free agent/trade piece.

Strasburg is only 26 after all, and in the right environment still has electric stuff, so I still think he'd be a highly sought-after pitcher if he was put on the trade market, IF, let's say for example Rizzo called the Rockies GM and offered Strasburg + 2 of: Treinen/Cole/Jordan + a A or AA prospect for CarGo or Tulo, the Rockies GM would have a really hard time saying no that proposed offer (since apparently the Rockies are looking for semi-young pitchers that have major league appearance for Tulo & Cargo). This deal actually would make sense for both sides: Werth is now out until August, and let's face it, he's in his upper 30's is injury prone, has contributed almost nothing offensively and the defense now is non-existent (which is why he got moved to LF). CarGo is injury prone, can't hit outside of Coors Field (and the pitcher's parks in the East [minus CBP] would make those worse), but CarGo can match and easily surpass whatever Taylor & Werth's corpse can put up now between the end of the season, and won't be 30 until the NLCS. But then the elephant in the room comes up: Who sits in the playoffs?? Even though CarGo is the better player, Werth is in what, year 5 of a $126 million contract?? You can't sit that in the playoffs! Meanwhile, CarGo has been a starter his entire career when he came up with the A's. I don't think he'll be very happy coming off the bench especially when the guy that's replacing him will probably end up with worse stats across the board- defense included. Can't really sit that either! Since we have no DH, that's a serious problem, and probably causes more disfunction then actually helps the team. So scrap CarGo...

...So, that leaves us with Tulowitski, an intriguing case because we already have a perfectly fine SS...but that perfectly fine SS that is a free agent after this year and in all likelihood is NOT coming back (unless he accepts the 1 year QA which would be benficial because I think Trea Turner [his replacement at SS] won't be ready until 2015). Here's the one time I wish the MLB had the NBA cap floor/Cap ceiling model because Desmond to the Phillies for Papelbon would be the perfect "I'll take on your expiring contract just so I can get rid of this contract I don't want to pay anymore." Tulowitski, even outside of Denver is probably a tad better than Desmond AND they get a pretty good relief pitcher who's actually closed out World Series who won't fold like a tent the first sign of trouble like Storen will.

And to continue on from the last trade: Hopefully the Padres continue their free fall down the West & Wildcard standings. There is no doubt in my mind that if the Pads miss the playoffs AJ Preller is going to completely dynamite that team next winter. So, give him a head start on the rebuild by sending him the just acquired Tulo + whatever else Preller wants (hell I'd give him Taylor if he wanted, only guys off limits should be Roark & Giolitto) for Kimbrel. So, in those 2 paragraph's I basically traded Strasburg & Desmond for Papelbon & Kimbrel. Who would you want in a World Series game 7/NLCS game 5: Strasburg starting with Storen closing, knowing you are completely ****ed if Storen gets that deer in the headlights look because there's no one behind him, or would you rather have Jordan Zimmermann with Storen pitching the 7th, Kimbrel the 8th & Papelbon the 9th (or vice versa). Which one makes the Nats better?? The only black hole in the lineup would be Werth's corpse in LF, but even SS wouldn't downgrade that much because Espinosa's (projected replacement) defense would completely make up for Desmond's offense, and Espi so far this year has actually been hitting hell.

Those couple paragraph's were a lot to digest but the main thing here is that Roark needs to permanently start games. The bullpen expierment was a complete disaster and has started a fire that is already 5 miles long and growing. With Fister still out for a couple weeks it looks like, Roark gets a couple more starts, but when he returns Fister MUST stay in the rotation, no doubt! Whether that's via shutting Strasburg down for the year (which ESPN suggested), via a trade to open up a spot, or something else, Rizzo and team brass have probably less than 3 weeks to figure it out, and the clock is ticking.

Another P.S, this problem would solve it all and could be the easiest trade of all: I STILL don't know why Jed Hoyer & Theo Epstein insist on having 5 starters for 4 infield positions when the most you can play in the NL is 4 (Russell, Bryant, Javy Baez, Rizzo & Castro). I think Bryant, Russell & Rizzo are untouchable (we'd have no room for Bryant or Rizzo anyways) but I think Baez or Castro could EASILY be acquired for Zimmermann, even moreso if the Cubs are still in the playoff chase because they could really use that 3rd arm behind Lester & Arrietta and like I said they have 5 players aged 25 or younger for 4 spots, you just can't play all 5 guys at the same time in the infield. IF it's Castro that they get they still have the problem with Desmond, but you could still ship him off to the Philly if the Phils really wanna do that salary dump OR you could parlay Castro into an OF/RP. Getting Baez would be even easier: keep him in AAA, the entire lineup is intact, and Roark goes into the rotation. Problem solved, until we get to NLDS game 1, and hopefully we get there.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:46 AM

Welcome back, and suffice it to say that I would disagree with just about all of this.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:37 PM

19,065 posts, read 7,424,659 times
When did Billy Beane get renamed 7express?

Old 05-31-2015, 08:31 PM

6,559 posts, read 4,518,770 times
Default 28-22

A completely lost weekend in Cincinnati as the Reds opened up a can on the Nats bullpen in the last 2 innings after the Nats came back from down 2-0 to tie it at 2-2 in the 7th, the Reds won going away in a laugher 8-2. Nats go home for 7 straight beginning with Monday night's interleague tilt against my second favorite team, the Toronto Blue Jays.

Pitching matchup for Monday is R.A Dickey for the Blue Jays who has been worse than awful this year but with the knuckle ball you never count him out while Jordan Zimmermann takes the hill for the home squad. Game time slated for 7:10 PM.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:08 PM

19,065 posts, read 7,424,659 times
Very interesting post, 7express, while I'm a Met fan, I loved your creativity. To be fair, Beane does all of those deals Monday before lunch. LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or