U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 07:42 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,323,620 times

Advertisements

And a second straight game in which a bonehead decision by 3B-Coach Bob Henley cost the Nats important runs. Luckily, we were able this time to make our way to a win anyway, but it was no thanks to the idiot idea of giving Ryan Zimmerman the green light to score from first on what would have been a Harper triple and then switching the light to red at the very last instant. Yes, Zimmerman does have issues with plantar fasciitis to consider, but suddenly slamming on the brakes from top speed is not protective of plantar fasciitis issues! You could see the grimace on his face as he tried to stop. Like Harper, he had been high-balling in top gear, fully expecting to be waved on, only to have the rug pulled out at the last second. That was just plain dumb coaching. Neither runner was in any jeopardy at the next base. As it was, Harper ended up out in a pickle between second and third, and Zim never did score. What a colossal waste! Maybe it's time to move Tony Tarasco over to third. Or maybe reach out to poor Bo Porter down there in Atlanta. If this were Japan, Henley would leave the club to go meditate on his failures somewhere in the mountains. I'd be in favor of that as well at this point.

PS. With Desmond very likely to depart soon, Trea Turner will be in the mix to replace him. The soon to be 22-year old was the 13th overall pick in last year's draft. A slick fielder, Turner is presently hitting .325 at Double-A Harrisburg with an OPS of .873. Joe Ross is also 22 and was the 25th overall pick in 2011. Until today, he was also at Harrisburg with an ERA of 2.81, a 1.13 WHIP, and 9.47 strikeouts per nine innings. Stephen Souza will always be remembered here for "The Catch", but his enduring Nats legacy may well turn out to be Turner and Ross.

Last edited by Major Barbara; 06-06-2015 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 08:34 PM

6,570 posts, read 4,525,868 times
Default 30-26

Cubs 4 @ Nats 2.

Wilson Ramos put the home team on the board first with a second-inning home run, and Joe Ross went 9 up and 9 down through the first 3 innings for about the only highlight's for the home town squad Saturday. Things fell apart for Ross in the 4th when the first 3 Cubs reached base, but Ross worked well to get out of that with only 1 run allowed. Cubs took the lead for good next inning when the Cubs had back to back run scoring hits with 2 outs to go up 3-1. Harper hit a home run in the 9th and after Rendon walked, the Nats got the tyhing run to the plate in the 9th, but Pedro Strop got Clint Robinson & Ian Desmond striking out to end the game. Hammel now improves to 9-0 in 11 games against the Nats. Thank God we are done with the Cubs after tomorrow and won't have to see Hammel again until next year!

Series concludes tomorrow when Liam Hendricks takes the hill for the Cubs opposing Jordan Zimmermann for the Nats. Game time slated for 4:05 PM. Nats are off Monday, before they head to the Bronx to take on the Yankees for a quick 2 game series in the Bronx beginning on Tuesday evening.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:47 PM

Default 30-27

Cubs 6 @ Nats 3.

Both teams got on the board in the second inning; Castro singled home Chris Coghlan while Ian Desmond hit a 2 run homer in the bottom half. Cubs tied it up in the 4th on a Jonathan Herrerra single and would take the lead for good in the 5th on a Coghlan single which scored Anthony Rizzo & Kris Bryant. Nats got back to within 1 with 3 straight singles in the 5th, Escobar driving in Robinson, but Kyle Hendricks (apparently Liam Hendricks pitches for someone else, whoops!) got Harper & Rendon to keep the Cubs in a slight lead. Cubs got the last 2 runs in the 6th courtesy of a wild pitch scoring Rizzo and a Castro single drove in Bryant for the Cubs final run. Last threat for the Nats came in the 7th when Harper was up as the tying run but James Russell got him to pop up meekily to LF, and they went down in order in both the 8th & 9th.

2 game series with the Yankees in the Bronx begins on Monday and boy what a matchup do we have in store for us Tuesday night! We have Max Scherzer for the Nats taking on Masohiro Tanaka for the Yankees. Nats have had trouble scoring runs lately and doesn't look like that will change with Tanaka the opposing pitcher, luckily the Yankees have Nathan Eovaldi on Wednesday, so hopefully we are able to tee off on him again like we did in Washington a couple weeks ago. Tuesday's game time is 7:05.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
...apparently Liam Hendricks pitches for someone else...
Liam Hendriks pitches (not always effectively) for the Blue Jays, and he spells the name without the "c". Former Phillie hurler Kyle Kendrick is now with Colorado, while Kyle Hendricks has been a successful part of the Cubs rotation pretty much since he first came up in July of last year. He was originally an 8th-round pick of the Rangers in 2011 but was sent to Wrigley at the deadline in 2012 as part of the price for Ryan Dempster.

Meanwhile, the Nats are back to looking about as bad as they have at any point this year in losing 9 of 11 to teams they shouldn't have had anywhere near that much trouble with. Fister and Strasburg are out of course, and Roark and Gio are basically six-inning crap-shoots at this point, so if Scherzer and J-Zim are not going to mow people down, we've got problems. The offense after all just doesn't show up most nights. Joe Ross was as impressive as expected in a spot start Saturday -- it's amazing that we got him AND Trea Turner for Souza -- but he and A.J. Cole are still a ways away from front-line service in the bigs, with Giolito yet a good way off as well. Not sure that there's anything to do with this club but wait around for things to get better. That was the story in 2013 also, but by the time things actually did get better, we had been aced out of a post-season spot. If things don't pick up here soon (e.g., by mid-July), we may need to start listening seriously to offers.

Having lost our first pick through the signing of Max Scherzer, we'll pick 58th and 69th today, by the way.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:42 PM

Default 30-28

Nats 1 @ Yankees 6.

Sheesh! Stephen Drew, the guy hitting all of .175 knocked 2 home runs out of the little league field known as Yankee Stadium, while Harper got the Nats only run with a homer to RF. With the score tied 1-1 in the 7th inning with 2 outs, 2 runners on, and Alex Rodriguez up, A roid hit a grounder to Desmond which he inexplicably went to 3rd with the throw, proceeded to throw it into the dugout, put the Yankees ahead and they proceeded to tack on 4 more that inning with the second Drew homer in the 8th an extra run for good measure. Now what I don't get about the Desmond play is this: the ball isn't hit that hard, and a ****ing tortoise can get down to first base faster then A roid can. Why Desmond wants to NOT get the out at first with a slow runner I haven't had the slightest idea, but even though Brett Gardner was on first (about the only Yankee on the active roster with actual speed [Jacoby Ellsbury is on the DL]) forcing Gardner out at second is an easier play then throwing to third...in the path of a runner. Makes absolutely no sense! There's only 1 time you should even think about forcing a runner at 3b with 2 outs, and that 1 time is on a ball hit to third with the third basemen playing right at the bag. When's the last time you saw a pitcher throw home to force a runner at home with the bases loaded and 2 outs?? Oh wait, never?!?!?!?!?!? And if by some chance Desmond lost track of the outs and thought there was only 1 out (or 0 outs), wouldn't you go for the double play there and get 2 outs (since Rodriguez can easily be doubled up) instead of 1 out throwing to 3rd and potentially getting 0 since throwing into the path of a runner is a risky play?? I still can't come up with a single explanation on how throwing to 3rd is a good move. At this point, I wish we'd just trade him already! He's done virtually nothing on offense and has been a complete butcher in the field and has lost way more games with his defense then he's won with his offense.

2 game series with the Yankees concludes tomorrow with Gio Gonzalez taking the mound for the Nats against Nathan Eovaldi for the Yanks who the Nats tattoo'd a couple weeks ago in D.C. I don't have any confidence in Gio, so hopefully the offense can get turned around and pound Eovaldi once again. 4 game series in Milwaukee against the surprisingly hot Brewers starts on Thursday.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:16 PM

Re the Desmond play, he has to go hard to the hole just to get to the ball. No matter how slow A-Rod might be at age 39, there is no way for Desmond to right himself, then plant and throw to either first or second. His momentum is all going away from those two plays. His choices are to eat the ball or try for the force at third with an off-balance underhand sort of flip. He went with Plan-B but didn't hit the target with his throw as Rendon was not exactly on top of the play as it developed and so wasn't in position to receive a throw for the force in any case.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:26 PM

I forgot he had to dive for that. Still think he could've gotten A rod at first. Even if the throw is on target to 3rd I think Flores would've ended up safe anyways as the throw hit him as he started the slide. His best case scenario was to just eat it. Load the bases, and bring in Thornton to face Texiera and turn him around to the right side where he is a worse hitter.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:47 PM

Default 31-28

Nats 5 @ Yankees 4 (11 innings).

I can't believe I've seen the day where I would rather see Danny Espinosa start over Ian Desmond. At the AL ballpark we were able to get an extra bat in the lineup, and that bat was Espinosa, and he scored the Nats first 2 runs: the first run on a Span double in the 3rd and then the second on a solo HR in the 5th. The score stayed 2-0 until the 7th inning where the Yankees responded with 4 runs, the latter 2 to give them the lead on an A Rod double which just got out of Span's reach...if Span is healthy, maybe he catches that?? Who knows, but Nats would be Spanning a couple innings later anyways. In the 8th, Michael Taylor got one of those cheap Yankee stadium HR's with a 2 run shot off of rookie Jacob Lindgren to tie the game at 4. The Nats won the game in the 11th on a Tyler Moore single, a sac and a groundout moved him over to 3rd with 2 outs, and Span just beat out an infield hit for the 5-4 victory. Nats may have gotten a big break in the 8th inning to: Yankees closer Andrew Miller hit the DL today, so because of that their 8th inning pitcher (Dellin Betances) is the fill in closer, and now the Yankees have to mix-and-match in the 8th now. If Miller is still closing, I doubt Taylor hits a home run off of Betances, and this is probably a 4-2 loss, a series sweep, more concerns about the lack of offense, but with the way the Nats have been playing in June, I'll take a win ANY way they come....because we haven't seen many since Memorial Day!

4 game series in Milwaukee against the Brewers starts Thursday. Pitching matchup is Tanner Roark for the Nats vs. Matt Garza, him of the 5.45+ ERA for the Brewers. Time to ship the bats to Milwaukee and break them out vs. Garza. I think the Mets, and their completely anemic offense knocked out Garza in the 3rd inning last month, Nats should treat him the same way.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:45 PM

Default 31-29

Nats 5 @ Brewers 6.

Didn't see much of this one. All I know is that we were up 5-1 and gave up the lead in the 8th inning. Clint Robinson with his first major league home run in this contest as well.

Tonight's pitching matchup is Jordan Zimmermann for the Nats vs. Mike Fiers for the Brewers. First pitch at 8:10.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I forgot he had to dive for that. Still think he could've gotten A rod at first. Even if the throw is on target to 3rd I think Flores would've ended up safe anyways as the throw hit him as he started the slide. His best case scenario was to just eat it. Load the bases, and bring in Thornton to face Texiera and turn him around to the right side where he is a worse hitter.
Yes, I agree that eating the ball was the best option. But Desi forces things. He's a chance-taker. Sometimes that works out. This time, it didn't. A good throw to a properly positioned Rendon gets the force, I think. But it would have been close at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or