U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 08:24 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,318,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
In the 8th, Michael Taylor got one of those cheap Yankee stadium HR's with a 2 run shot off of rookie Jacob Lindgren to tie the game at 4.
Earlier in that inning, Bryce Harper had flied to left against Lindgren, marking the first time in 1500 MLB at-bats that he had faced a pitcher younger than he is.

Last edited by Major Barbara; 06-12-2015 at 08:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 11:47 PM

6,551 posts, read 4,502,743 times
Default 33-30

Friday: Nats 4 @ Brewers 8
Saturday: Nats 7 @ Brewers 2
Sunday: Nats 4 @ Brewers 0.

Was traveling over the weekend, so that's why I couldn't update. Didn't miss much on Friday, they were down 7-2 after the 4th inning and knocked Jordan Zimmermann out. Aramis Ramirez had 5 RBI's and 3 doubles.
Saturday, the day belonged to Joe Ross. After the Nats got on the board first with 3 straight singles in the first, the Brewers got their only 2 runs in the second on an infield single from Jean Segura with scored Adam Lind from 3rd, and a Scooter Ginnett double brought in Segura. Escobar put the Nats back ahead with a 2 run homer in the 3rd, and then it was the Ross show. After the second he threw 5 more innings, allowed only 4 more hits and 1 walk. Wilson Ramos also hit a 2 run homer in the game. Only negative came when Harper got plunked in the knee in the 9th, left the game, and didn't play Sunday
Sunday: Another pitching masterpiece, this time by the $225 million ace. He took a perfect game into the 7th inning, got a weak broken bat pop up to LF that dropped off the bat of Carlos Gomez for the Brewers only hit of the game, and in the 8th walked Ginett for the only other Brewer that reached base on the day. Besides that, all he did was strike out 16 and finished with a complete game 1 hitter, which gave Scherzer a 100 game score on the day, just beating out Chris Heston's no hitter for the Giants vs. the Mets last week along with the Corey Kluber vs. St. Louis game where he struck out 18 Cardinals over 8 innings, yet shockingly, even in a 2 run game where the game was definitely hanging in the balance, the bottom of the Cardinals lineup due up to start (outside of the top 4 [Carpenter, Wang, Holliday & Perallta] not a very good offensive team AND a chance to tie or break history with either 20 or 21 strikeouts, wasn't brought back out for the 9th. Both of those games registered a 98 game score. So, if you are basing how dominant a pitching performance was based on the game score that pitcher accumulated, this outing by Scherzer is the most dominant of the year. And since there aren't many game scores in the 100's (I think only like 14 or so since like 1940) this likely would stay as the most dominating game of the year. I still think Kluber's was a tad batter, but either way Scherzer had a whale of a game and for once actually got the chocolate sauce dumped on him, instead of him dumping the chocolate sauce.

Monday starts a "weird" 4 game series with old friends Asdrubal Cabrera, Steven Souza Jr., Nathan Karns and the Rays and I put weird in quotes. This is actually two 2 game series with the first 2 games (Monday & Tuesday) taking place in Tampa and the final 2 (Wednesday & Thursday) taking place in Washington. So, even though they play 4 straight times from Monday to Thursday, MLB counts it as 2 series. I, however, will only be counting it as one series, which is really, what it should be. Who cares if the venues change, it's the same teams playing! Monday's pitching matchup is Gio Gonzalez for the Nats vs. Erasmo Ramirez for the Rays. Game time slated for 7:10 PM.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:28 PM

Default 33-31

Nats 1 @ Rays 6.

Gio Gonzalez: 3 2/3's innings, 1 strikeout, 3 walks, 8 hits, 5 runs, 79 pitches to record 10 outs. The Gio Gonzalez roller coaster continues. 1 good outing followed by 1 awful outing. Second time in the last 4 days a starting pitcher got knocked out before the 5th inning after Jordan Zimmermann's 4 inning outing Friday vs. Milwaukee. Nats ended up having the tying run in the on deck circle in the 9th as they had the bases loaded in the 9th and Harper out but he ended the game lining into a double play as Rendon got doubled off second, and really when the throw came into second he wasn't even in the picture, so I have no idea where he was going. The Rays 1b made a nice leaping catch, and if he doesn't that ball's in the RF corner and Rendon scores easily so why the hell was he so far off the bag??

Tuesday's matchup concludes the games in Tampa. Tanner Roark starts for the Nats opposed by Alex Colome for the Rays. Game time slated for 7:10 PM.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:36 PM

Default 34-31

Nats 16 @ Rays 4.

Nats scored 6 in the second inning which would set the tone for the rest of the day. The highlights came in the late stages. In the 9th with OF Jake Elmore taking the bullet for the Rays pen, Wilson Ramos hit a home run. Then in the 9th when the Rays sent IF Nick Franklin to the mound to finish Ramos homered off HIM as well. And to continue with position players giving up home runs, OF Jeff Franceur pitching for the Phillies in their blowout 19-3 loss to the Orioles gave up a home run in the 8th to Ryan Flaherty. The 3 non pitchers giving up home runs might be an MLB record for most in 1 day. I don't remember one team using two position players in the same game, but this is probably the first time in MLB history that somebody hit multiple home runs in the same game against a position player. The in the 9th things got even stranger! With MW taking out most of the regulars by then, MW pinch hit Yunel Escobar (who was DH'ing) with Joe Ross, a pitcher. Needless to say, outside of a game that lasts 19+ innings I don't remember the last time a pitcher was batting and the pitcher was a position player (and even in those 19+ inning games I'm not sure if it happened), but it's probably the first time ever that a starter was pinch hit for by a pitcher, and that pitcher batting faces a position player pitching. Harper finished a triple shy of a cycle, and Danny Espinosa finished 5-5 but got plunked in the 9th with a chance to finish 6-6.

The series continues in Washington with 2 games Wednesday and Thursday to end this 4 game series. Matt Andreise takes the hill for the Rays opposed by Jordan Zimmermann for the Nats. First pitch scheduled for 7:05.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:02 AM

25,889 posts, read 13,451,742 times
Thanks for doing your job yesterday while we came up short. Will try to rectify tonight.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:36 PM

Default 34-32

Rays 5 @ Nats 0.

It's never good when you end a game with more errors then hits, but that's actually what happened with the Nats tonight. After banging out a season high 23 hits 24 hours before in Florida, the bats were frozen as the team finished with 3 errors (2 of which came on 1 play and 3 of the Rays 5 runs were directly from those errors) while only finishing with 2 hits. Souza made his first return to Nats Park since saving Jordan Zimmermann's perfect game, got the first hit of the game, got the Rays on the board in the 5th with a home run, and finished the Rays scoring in the 8th with a little league homer that went 60 feet with the Nats throwing it around the field like a hot potato. Souza reached on a 2 out bunt single to the pitcher, Treinen threw the ball into right-center field to allow Souza to advance to second & David DeJesus to 3rd, and then Harper threw the ball into the dugout which got both runners in.

The 4 game series concludes on Thursday. Chris Archer, who has the second best opponent's batting average in the AL (and won't face a DH either this game!) and who's averaging over 10 strikeout's a game over his last 5 starts takes the hill for the Rays. Doug Fister makes his return from the DL for his first start since May 14. Game time is scheduled for 7:05.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:11 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,707,363 times
Hope you guys stay cold and inconsistent through the weekend. Bucs' pitching, while super hot right now, is due to return to Earth... and would rather it get sunk by a meaningless AL team, not a fellow NL WC contender.

I do know we'll be facing Scherzer on Friday. Should be a good pitching duel vs AJ.

Still can't understand how/why Nats are barely over .500 with all that talent.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:13 PM

The only game we'll probably be favored in is Friday in the Scherzer Burnett matchup, but when Scherzer faces another top pitcher (like vs. Tanaka in the Bronx a couple weeks ago) the offense manages like 5 hits & 1 run, and the defense usually commits a crippling error, so even if Scherzer only gives up 1 earned run and 4 hits, he usually loses.
Sat is Liriano vs. Gio. If the good Gio shows up that could be a great ball game, if the bad Gio shows up, that'll be over by the first inning.
Sunday Tanner Roark vs. Morton is interesting. I would have to think Morton comes crashing back to Earth at some point, but he has been straight dealing this year.
I think if the Nats can sneak out with a win Friday they'll take either Saturday or Sunday's game; if the Pirates win Friday I think they'll sweep. Should be a fun series though. Pirates have some revenge though; last time they played the Nats was last August in the midst of the Nats 10 game winning streak and I believe 2 of the Nats 3 wins that series were via walkoff.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:43 PM

Default 34-33

Rays 5 @ Nats 3.

They actually scored 3 runs, and made Chris Archer actually look human this evening. He only went 5 innings and gave up 3 runs, though 8 of his 15 outs were via strikeouts. The biggest story of the game was in the 6th when the Rays scored 4 runs to turn a 3-1 deficit into a 5-3 win. 2 of those runs scored when Harper got injured and left the game. I was out at dinner when it happened, so I didn't see the play, but on Twitter they were making it sound like a big deal. However, on the postgame show they were just saying it's a hamstring strain. He'll be re-evaluated tomorrow for further evaluation, so hopefully it's just the hamstring strain.

Friday starts a 3 game series with the Pirates. AJ Burnett, in his final year in the big leagues is probably having his best career season as he has an era under 2 will take the ball for the Pirates. Even though Fister came back yesterday Joe Ross is getting another turn through the rotation and will take the ball for the Nats. Game time slated for 7:05.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:11 PM

Default 35-33

Pirates 1 @ Nats 4.

Had Harper out, had Desmond out (which I said on Twitter Thursday night he should sit out the entire weekend not just 1 game) to clear his head, no problem, as they banged out 14 hits, and scored 2 in the first. I couldn't watch/listen to much as my Sirius XM player didn't load (though probably better it didn't because they almost surely would've lost had I been listening). Every starter (including Joe Ross) had at least 1 hit. Speaking of Ross, he was brilliant once again: 1 run, 6 hits, 11 strikeouts over 7 1/3. I know Stras will probably be back next week, but with how awful he was before he got hurt I'd rather see Ross get another start.

Saturday's pitching matchup is Francisco Liriano for the Pirates vs. Max Scherzer for the Nats. Game time slated for 4:05 PM. My parents are throwing a party so I doubt I'll see/listen to much of this one either, let's see if they make it 2-2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or