U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 04:51 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,707,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Pirates 1 @ Nats 4.

Had Harper out, had Desmond out (which I said on Twitter Thursday night he should sit out the entire weekend not just 1 game) to clear his head, no problem, as they banged out 14 hits, and scored 2 in the first. I couldn't watch/listen to much as my Sirius XM player didn't load (though probably better it didn't because they almost surely would've lost had I been listening). Every starter (including Joe Ross) had at least 1 hit. Speaking of Ross, he was brilliant once again: 1 run, 6 hits, 11 strikeouts over 7 1/3. I know Stras will probably be back next week, but with how awful he was before he got hurt I'd rather see Ross get another start.

Saturday's pitching matchup is Francisco Liriano for the Pirates vs. Max Scherzer for the Nats. Game time slated for 4:05 PM. My parents are throwing a party so I doubt I'll see/listen to much of this one either, let's see if they make it 2-2.
Ross was methodical. It was almost like watching Mariano, except with a slider instead of a cutter. One pitch, same spot almost every time - ankle high, Pirates batters flailing at it. That pitch must look tempting as pretty much every 2nd and 3rd swinging strike was out of the zone.

I hope Liriano is *on* tonight, if so, should be a great pitching duel. Cutch, Walker, Tabata have all had some success vs Max, but it'll be a tall order to knock him out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 04:57 PM

Obviously Scherzer and Nats didn't read the book on Tabata. You go inside, he'll dip his elbow and take the HBP.

For every Nats fan who's complaining, a) Max didn't have to go that far inside, b) Tabata didn't try to bunt his way on.

It's a baseball play. Bucs have scored 7 runs in an inning already this year. Top of the order was due :-)

Anyway, great performance by Max. Too bad Cervelli lost the 3rd strike that allowed Span to get on and Nats to score 4 runs when Bucs should've been out of the inning. Taking a 1-0 lead into 9th would've been a more interesting dynamic.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:42 AM

6,551 posts, read 4,502,743 times
I'll go the opposite way sskink. I know it's baseball and anything can happen, but you've played (up to that point) 17 2/3 innings in the series and you've scored only 1 run on 6 hits chances are highly unlikely you are going to come back for 6 runs in that last 1/3 of an inning, so I think it was a complete bush & BS move from Tabata. Personally I hope he gets ^&*$ing drilled tomorrow with a 95 mph fastball from Gio. Not in the head obviously because that's going too far but a nice 95 mph fastball in the back between the numbers his first time at bat would be sufficient. IF it was a 1-0 I could see doing that but up 6-0 and with 2 strikes having 1 run in the series you HAVE to make an attempt to get out of the way of that pitch, and the fact he leaned into it!!! makes me hate him that much more. If he actually made an attempt to get out the way and it hit him, whatever, but the fact he didn't move and actually caused the HBP is a complete travesty. Not saying Scherzer would've even had the perfect game (hell I'd advocate that someone that gets HBP but doesn't make an effort to move only gets a ball to the count) but he should've gotten the opportunity with a 3-2 count. Tabata is a POS. Sorry sskink, but I think you'd be singing the same tune if that was Liriano or Burnett or Cole going for the perfect game and Clint Robinson or Danny Espinosa or Dan Uggla did what Tabata did, I don't think you'd be too happy either.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:07 AM

Default 36-33

Pirates 0 @ Nats 6.
All about Scherzer this game. He went 8 2/3 perfect innings, Jose Tabata leaned into a pitch with 2 outs and 2 strikes in the 9th down 6 runs to ruin the perfect game (read my thoughts on that in the previous post), but got Josh Harrison to fly out to complete the 6th no hitter in franchise history. Scherzer's last 2 starts: 18 innings, 26 strikeouts, 1 hit allowed, 0 runs, 1 walk. Had 3 base runners in 18 innings, and was perfect through 6 innings both times. First pitcher since 1944!! to throw back-to-back complete games and allow fewer then 2 hits between then, and I'd say that was the BEST back-to-back performance since Johnny Vander Meer threw back-to-back no hitters in 1938. For those that forget his line in Milwaukee last Sunday was: 9 innings, 16 k's, 1 walk, 1 strikeout, 0 run. Only runners allowed were a bloop single to Carlos Gomez leading off the 7th and a walk to Scooter Gennett in the 8th. He's now got 2 of the top 4 game score's in baseball as his outing last week in Milwaukee garnered a 100 game score, the tops in the majors this year, while this no hitter ONLY registered a 97 which is good for 4th behind Corey Kluber (8 innings, 1 hit, 18 k's) and Chris Heston (9 innings, 0 hits, 11 k's).

Sunday's pitching matchup is Charlie Morton for the Pirates vs. Gio Gonzalez for the Nats. Game time scheduled for 1:35. Team has an off day on Monday, before welcoming the Braves into Washington for a 3 game series beginning Tuesday. Teams rarely get off days at home, and the Nats will have had 3 in the first half alone: May 7 (A Thursday in between a Marlins and Braves series), Thursday May 21 (A Thursday in between a Yankees & Phillies series) were the other 2. They also have another one coming up on Thursday July 9 between a Reds series at home which ends the 8, and a Baltimore series @ Baltimore which starts the 10th, which I'll include "at home" as well since they won't travel until Friday anyways. For comparisons sake they only have 2 such days in the second half: Monday, August 24 (between a Rockies & Brewers series) and Thursday, September 24 (between an Orioles & Phillies series).

Old 06-21-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I'll go the opposite way sskink. I know it's baseball and anything can happen, but you've played (up to that point) 17 2/3 innings in the series and you've scored only 1 run on 6 hits chances are highly unlikely you are going to come back for 6 runs in that last 1/3 of an inning, so I think it was a complete bush & BS move from Tabata. Personally I hope he gets ^&*$ing drilled tomorrow with a 95 mph fastball from Gio. Not in the head obviously because that's going too far but a nice 95 mph fastball in the back between the numbers his first time at bat would be sufficient. IF it was a 1-0 I could see doing that but up 6-0 and with 2 strikes having 1 run in the series you HAVE to make an attempt to get out of the way of that pitch, and the fact he leaned into it!!! makes me hate him that much more. If he actually made an attempt to get out the way and it hit him, whatever, but the fact he didn't move and actually caused the HBP is a complete travesty. Not saying Scherzer would've even had the perfect game (hell I'd advocate that someone that gets HBP but doesn't make an effort to move only gets a ball to the count) but he should've gotten the opportunity with a 3-2 count. Tabata is a POS. Sorry sskink, but I think you'd be singing the same tune if that was Liriano or Burnett or Cole going for the perfect game and Clint Robinson or Danny Espinosa or Dan Uggla did what Tabata did, I don't think you'd be too happy either.
Interesting take and punishment.

However, Scherzer was on his game all day. He missed that pitch badly. You can argue whether Tabata intentionally dropped his elbow to get hit or not. But you can't argue that that pitch was anywhere near where Ramos was setting up his target. Ramos had to reach way inside to catch that. Max said it was a slider that didn't break.

Funny that those who play the game seem OK with it because they're all competitors at the top of their game - including Max and Ramos. It's the people that don't play the game who are freaking out.

I'd be highly annoyed if the 27th batter in a perfecto tried to bunt.

If the Nats want to hit Tabata, have at it. Doubtful he starts though.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:56 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,318,692 times
First time I was ever disappointed at seeing ONLY a no-hitter.

And I do think it's somewhat telling that Pirates backers feel a need to defend Tabata here.

Last edited by Major Barbara; 06-21-2015 at 08:30 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 10:03 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,513,671 times
For every near perfect game (or no hitter), people whine about someone taking a HBP or a "bad" call resulting in a walk. The fact is, there are also calls for a strikeout that could have gone the other way, defenders making the occasional great play to keep the game perfect (or hitless), the hitter missing by an inch and hitting a deep fly out instead of a home run, etc. The pitcher doesn't get to take credit for the triumphs but not for the mistakes.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:41 PM

Default 37-33

Pirates 2 @ Nats 9.

sskink was worried about the Pirates pitching coming back to earth. I figured they were due for a letdown (especially Charlie Morton) but they hit the Earth with a huge thud this weekend. I'm sure they'll be fine though in the long run and every team has lost weekends and lost series from time to time. Better to happen in mid June than in late September though. Charlie Morton lasted just 2/3 of an inning allowing 9 runs, 8 hits, 1 walk and 1 strikeout and 2 home runs (Harper which put the Nats on the board, and Escobar which KO'd Morton from the contest). Obviously all 9 Nats runs came in the first when they sent 12 guys to the plate. A Corey Hart home run in the 9th ended the Nats franchise-record scoreless inning streak (just dating back to 05 in Washington) at 24 2/3.

Tuesday starts at 3 game series with the Braves. Alex Wood takes the ball for the Bravos who will be opposed by Jordan Zimmermann leading the charge for the home town nine. Game time slated for 7:05 PM

Old 06-21-2015, 07:53 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,658,792 times
Man Tabata got booed worst than A-rod. I didn't think that was possible. He will get hit by a ball that mysteriously slipped out of a pitchers hand, in the next series that they have.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:10 PM

131 posts, read 102,126 times
Nats are just a lock to win the division this year.

Mets are only being propelled by their impressive April, to return to the same ole Mets. Braves may give you a run for your money, but I think they will still finish below .500. Braves will pass the Mets and finish 2nd, and possibly even Miami may pass the Mets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or