U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2015, 10:17 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,509,695 times

Advertisements

It's a horribly weak division that Washington will win. Then they won't be prepared yet again when they face a quality team in the playoffs that knows how to take pitches. In any other division, they'd be 3rd or even 4th place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 06:01 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,315,564 times
Take a look around. There aren't many quality teams in these other divisions either. I don't see any division that would have two or three teams better than WAS. And that's with the Nats playing all year with at least two regulars on the shelf. STL has the best W-L percentage to date, but they don't have Wainwright any more, and nobody knows when or if Holliday or Adams will be back.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:39 AM

Maybe you should look at the standings then. There's nothing impressive about beating the Phillies or Braves these days.

Look at Baltimore in the AL East. Virtually the same record, yet 4th place.

Wainwright has been out a while, and the Cards haven't stopped winning.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:44 AM

19,983 posts, read 18,915,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
It's a horribly weak division that Washington will win. Then they won't be prepared yet again when they face a quality team in the playoffs that knows how to take pitches. In any other division, they'd be 3rd or even 4th place.
I would agree the Nationals are a better team than the Braves and Mets at the moment. The Mets usually fall apart mid-season. The Braves need to find consistency in winning more games through runs scored and better relief pitching, issues that can be easily resolved through trades.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:46 AM

Default 2015 Regular Season: Game #71 (2015-06-23, 19:05) - Braves at Nationals

Who is likely pitching for the Nationals against the Braves today?

Old 06-23-2015, 02:13 PM

814 posts, read 937,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
And I do think it's somewhat telling that Pirates backers feel a need to defend Tabata here.
I do think it's somewhat telling that no one associated with the Nationals, least of all Scherzer himself, has stated any issue with the Tabata at-bat whatsoever.

I was at the game and by the time Tabata came up I was rooting for him to make an out as badly as anyone there, but the idea that he did anything wrong is just laughable. He's paid by the Pirates to get on base for them, of which one way is to get hit by a pitch - something any number of hitters have made careers out of. If he'd led off the game and done that, and then Scherzer had set down the next 27 guys in a row, no one would be saying anything, so it comes back to this notion that he's somehow obligated to go about his business differently in an effort to facilitate the opponent making baseball history at his expense. Which, of course, is completely silly.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:27 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Who is likely pitching for the Nationals against the Braves today?

Strasburg today, Jordan Zimmermann tomorrow, Doug Fister Thursday.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:58 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times
Quote:
Maybe you should look at the standings then. There's nothing impressive about beating the Phillies or Braves these days.

Look at Baltimore in the AL East. Virtually the same record, yet 4th place.

Wainwright has been out a while, and the Cards haven't stopped winning.

Baltimore's in first place, but their only like 2.5 games back in first place. Says more about that the whole AL East is one mediocre mess than the Orioles are a bad team.

Let's run through the divisions shall we:

AL East: Tampa, Yankees, Orioles, Blue Jays 1-4; all 4 are separated by 3 games. Incredibly mediocre bunch of teams, but the Orioles maybe the best. 80% of the Rays rotation is on the DL; the Yankees are 1 bad Tanaka pitch away from being done, and the Jays are all offense, no pitching.

AL Central: Kansas City (+4), Twins (-4), Tigers (-5), Indians (-9.5), White Sox (-10.5). I don't even think the Royals are that good either. The SP isn't as good as we thought, and after a hot April the offense has cooled off. They are taking advantage of the Twins running on smoke and mirrors, the Indians & White Sox being incredible dissapointments, and the Tigers being old which leads to injuries which is exactly what has happened to them this year.

AL West: Astros (+3.5), Rangers (-3.5), Angels (-4.5), Mariners (-8.5), A's (-9.5). The type of team the Astros are (lead in HR's, SB's & strikeouts) rarely make the playoffs, and the Mariners for what seems like the 20th year in a row are a black hole on offense, only thing with them this year unlike years past is the pitching (outside of Hernandez) sucks as well. Angels aren't bad. Rangers & A's (when you take into account the numbers from May 1) may very well be the 2 best teams in the AL. I'd say it's between those 2 and the Orioles, but nobody stands out as even that good.

NL East: Nats (+2.5), Mets (-2.5), Braves (-3), Marlins (-8.5), Phillies (-13). Do you know the Nats are not only the only team in the division with a positive run differential, but everyone else is -15 or worse?? Got hamstrung by injuries early, but are starting to get healthy. Do you know of teams in second, the only other team with a road record worse then 1 game under .500, besides the Mets, is the Twins at 14-18?? Did you know the ONLY team in baseball with a worse road record then the Mets 10-25 is the Phillies at 9-28?? Braves have been the division's most consistent team; they've been consistently average but at least they are consistent! Marlins have actually been playing pretty well, too bad the season started on April 6 and not on June 12 when they actually started to play pretty well. Before the recent Phillies "hot streak", they've won 3 straight after losing 14 of 16, they were on pace to get outscored by almost 280 runs, as is now they are still on pace to get outscored by over 250 runs this year. The Phillies already have a run differential of -114 which is almost 30 runs worse then the next worse team (Milwaukee at -86). Outside of the Phillies (-114) and Brewers (-86) the White Sox (-75) and the Mariners (-51) are the only other 2 teams with a run differential of -50 or worse. This Phillies team is shooting for being one of the worst teams of all time.

NL Central: Cardinals (+6), Pirates (-6), Cubs (-6.5), Reds (-13.5), Brewers (-21.5). Cards lost Wainwright & Adams to serious injury, both until September if either comes back at all, and just lost Holiday for about 6 weeks last week, yet they still have the majors best record. Pirates are pretty good, had a bad weekend in Washington. I STILL have no idea why the Cubs refuse to trade Starlin Castro OR Javy Baez for a top-two pitcher to put behind Lester. Reds are t-minus 5 weeks from the fire sale. I know the Reds owner is competitive and wants to win, but I think after the All Star Game he'll open his eyes and see the Reds have absolutely no chance to win the Central this year and are highly unlikely to be a threat in the Wildcard race either. I talked about the Brewers earlier with the -86 run differential which only the White Sox at -75 is even within shouting distance of.

NL West: Dodgers (+0.5), Giants (-0.5), D'Backs (-4), Padres (-5), Rockies (-7). Dodgers are 39-33, wanna guess what their record is against teams with winning records?? Good you asked! That record would be 6-19 meaning they got fat (33-14) on bad teams with losing record. Included in that 6-19 was a 2-5 record against the Cards (done with them), currently 3-9 against the Giants (7 more left in second half) and finished with a 1-3 record in an interleague series with the Rangers, and currently 0-2 against the Cubs. After these next 2 games with the Cubs they don't play another team with a winning record until after the All Star Break, but in the second half they still have to play the Astros for 3, A's for 4 (aside from last year they seem to always play better in July & August), Angels for 6, Pirates for 6, and Nats for 6. Giants have been hit or miss this year but I think they'll hang around all year. The D'Backs somehow in 3rd proves how awful this year has been. They've been a nice surprise, and what a surprise, they got better, and the Mariners got worse, when they sent Trumbo to Seattle, go figure, but this is pretty much the same team, minus a change on the bench that finished 30 games back last year. The Padres have been absolutely abysmal (I called that one!) and are 4 weeks from starting the "clearance....everything must go" sale. Tulowitski & CarGo have actually been on the field most of the time this year which has obviously been a reason they've hung around, but their rotation is by far the absolute worst in baseball. You can only use the Coors Field excuse so many times, look at their ERA's & WHIPs, it'll be an insult to awful to call them awful! Of their 8 pitchers who have started at least 5 games, 6 of 8 have WHIPs of 1.44 or higher only Chad Betis (sneaky good at 1.23 WHIP) and David Hale (1.27) have WHIPs under 1.44, and only 2 of the 8 have ERA's under 4.80: Betis again (3.44) & Tyler Matzek (4.09). Their #1 starter (Kyle Kendrick) has a 1.44 WHIP, 5.96 ERA and a -0.1 WAR, meaning the Rockies would have a better chance to win if they stuck a Kyle Kendrick cardboard cutout with a pitching machine on the mound the days Kendrick starts. As I said you can only use the Coors Field crutch so many times. Outside of Betis, none of their pitchers are any good.

So Major Barbara is absolute right, the whole landscape is littered with a bunch of mediocre teams who can barely get out of their own way whether it be due to injuries (Cardinals, Nats, Rays), poor overall play (Padres, Indians, White Sox), or just not very good (Dodgers, Tigers). My top 5 right now would be: Cardinals, Nats, Pirates, Royals & Astros. Cards, Nationals & Pirates look far and away the 3 best teams, but if the Astros or Cubs can get another starter, the Jays can get ANY pitcher (starter or reliever), the Yankees can get a MI to hit better then .211, the Rays get Jake Odorizzi, Matt Moore AND Drew Smyly back before the end of the year AND have Chris Archer continue on his dominance, the Dodgers call up Corey Seager to replace Jimmy Rollins corpse at SS and he's better then Joc Pederson, the Giants refuse to believe this is an odd year, or the Indians, White Sox & Tigers can ever wake up, any of those teams can be a title contender.

Yes, the league as a whole might be mediocre right now, but that'll make the trading deadline fun (can't beat last year though) and the playoffs should be fun as well.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:47 AM

I don't see how you can think almost every single team in baseball is mediocre, but the Nationals are somehow great. LOL. The NL East is an incredibly weak division, has been ever since the Phillies and Braves went downhill.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I don't see how you can think almost every single team in baseball is mediocre, but the Nationals are somehow great. LOL. The NL East is an incredibly weak division, has been ever since the Phillies and Braves went downhill.
That is a fair assessment. Only the Braves have stepped up to make changes this season, while the Phillies appear not to have taken action to right their issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or