U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 12:47 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,315,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Look at Baltimore in the AL East. Virtually the same record, yet 4th place.
That would be 3rd place now in a division where the top four clubs are all within 3 games of each other. The team with the same record as WAS is presently in second place, a tad behind the also much less than dazzling TB. As the AL East demonstrates, there simply aren't these supposedly "strong divisions" out there this year.

Quote:
Wainwright has been out a while, and the Cards haven't stopped winning.
As noted above, STL is at the moment the closest thing to a quality ballclub anywhere in MLB. At 22 games over .500 this morning, they have little in the way of actual competition for the honor. They play in ONE division however, not six. Wainwright has meanwhile missed six weeks and will miss sixteen more and all of the post-season should STL qualify. The future of Holliday and Adams is much less certain. These facts do not contribute to the certainty of any rosy outlook for the club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
I do think it's somewhat telling that no one associated with the Nationals, least of all Scherzer himself, has stated any issue with the Tabata at-bat whatsoever.
The angst out of Steel Town then being motivated by what exactly? I'm guessing that Pirates fans were themselves not so cool with what they saw in the replays. I'll go myself with what Wilson Ramos said -- that Tabata stuck his elbow into the pitch, but that's just baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
I was at the game...
Me too. And in really good seats. The same ones that I sat in through last night's dismal and rain-delayed proceedings.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:43 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,510,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
That would be 3rd place now in a division where the top four clubs are all within 3 games of each other. The team with the same record as WAS is presently in second place, a tad behind the also much less than dazzling TB. As the AL East demonstrates, there simply aren't these supposedly "strong divisions" out there this year.

As noted above, STL is at the moment the closest thing to a quality ballclub anywhere in MLB. At 22 games over .500 this morning, they have little in the way of actual competition for the honor. They play in ONE division however, not six. Wainwright has meanwhile missed six weeks and will miss sixteen more and all of the post-season should STL qualify. The future of Holliday and Adams is much less certain. These facts do not contribute to the certainty of any rosy outlook for the club.
STL has "it." No matter how many guys they've lost over the years, they've still been in it every single year (Pujols, Berkman, etc.).

The O's are now in 3rd place yes. The only team they're comfortably ahead of is Boston. There are 4 teams in the division with winning records. It's likely going to be a tight race to the finish, even if it drops down to a 2- or 3-team race. The Nats have no one to worry about except possibly the Mets, but they appear to be headed in the wrong direction. Washington is the only team in its division over .500. If you seriously think the AL East is as weak as the NL East, you're delusional.

How is Tampa "less than dazzling" when they're in first place with a significantly better record than Washington?

Old 06-24-2015, 02:07 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,488,527 times
Default 38-33

Braves 1 @ Nats 3.

Even with the 2 hour+ rain delay, I missed all of this. Was at an Atlantic League baseball game and had to finish up some work when I got back home, so I'll let Major Barbara/Carolina Knight do the talking on it. Strasburg game off the DL pitched 5 innings of shutout ball and struck out 6 I believe. Nats got on the board in the first and then again in the 3rd, Cameron Maybin home run in the 8th got the Braves the only run.

Second game starts tonight at 7:05. Shelby Miller takes the mound for the Braves, and he'll be opposed by Jordan Zimmermann for the Nats.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:32 PM

Default 39-33

Braves 1 @ Nats 2 (11 innings in).

Drew Storen blew the save which forced extra innings, Ian Desmond walked it off for the home town team with a sac fly in the 11th inning. Nice moment for him as he was wearing the number (53) of bench coach Randy Knorr on his helmet who's wife tragically passed away earlier in the day. Knorr had coached Desmond throughout the Expos (remember he was drafted in 2004 when the franchise was still in Montreal), and Nationals minor league systems, and now has been the major league bench coach the last few years. He really needed the chocolate sauce.

Series with the Braves concludes tomorrow. Matt Wisler (who came over in the Upton & Kimbrall trade) makes his second major league start for the Braves, Doug Fister makes his second start since coming off the DL for the Nationals. Game time is scheduled for 4:05 PM, good excuse to leave the office early & head on down to the park! 3 game series in Philadelphia begins on Friday.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:02 AM

Default 40-33

Braves 0 @ Nats 7.

Nats starting pitching scoreless inning streak is up to 41 1/3 innings I believe. Last time they allowed a run was the second inning of the first game of the Pirates series last Friday.

3 game series with the Phillies at the Bank begins on Friday. Max Scherzer takes the ball for the Nats, who will take their hacks against Aaron "the Harangutan" Harang pitching for the lately not so much fightin' Phils.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
How is Tampa "less than dazzling" when they're in first place with a significantly better record than Washington?
Rays are 41-33. Nats are 40-33. Here's the deal. There are no "strong divisions" and there is only one strong team -- that may or may not be able to keep up the pace.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Braves 1 @ Nats 3.
Even with the 2 hour+ rain delay, I missed all of this.
You did well. I was at the game and it was a lackluster contest throughout. One of the worst games of the season. Saved only by the fact that it did not result in a loss.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:01 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,510,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
Rays are 41-33. Nats are 40-33. Here's the deal. There are no "strong divisions" and there is only one strong team -- that may or may not be able to keep up the pace.
There are strong divisions. Many divisions, including the AL East, have 3+ quality teams. The NL East has one.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
There are strong divisions. Many divisions, including the AL East, have 3+ quality teams. The NL East has one.

The AL East doesn't have 3 strong teams! They have 1 bad team (Boston) and 4 average teams (Yankees, Baltimore, Toronto, Tampa)
The AL Central doesn't have 3 strong teams! They have 2 good teams (Royals & Tigers [despite the record]) 2 teams that should be playing good but aren't (Indians & White Sox) and one team that's due for a regression (Twins).
The AL West has 5 average teams (Astros, Rangers, M's, Angels & A's)
The NL East has a good team (Washington), 3 average to below average teams (Braves, Marlins, Mets) and 1 truly awful team (Philadelphia)
NL Central is about the only division that can state they have more then 2 quality teams in the Cards (great), Pirates (pretty good) and Cubs (average). Even the Reds aren't bad, they are only 2.5 games worse then the East's second place team.
In the West Dodgers are Decent, Giants are OK, Pads, D'Backs, Rockies are a mediocre bunch.

I stand by my post from the other day: over 60% of the league is mediocre this year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or