U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-27-2015, 12:27 AM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,551 posts, read 4,502,743 times
Reputation: 2488

Advertisements

Nats 5 @ Phillies 2.

For the 3rd straight game, Scherzer took a perfect game into the 6th inning before settling for 2 runs allowed and 5 hits with 7 strikeouts. Ryne Sandberg resigned before the game, but it wasn't enough to get the Phils going. In true Phillies fashion from the last couple of years they took part in the circus on the field. The Nats scored in the first when Wilson Ramos reached on an infield single....because the Phillies 2b Cesar Hernandez ran into the second base ump as he was throwing the ball. Still don't know how Ramos could've beaten that out though, Hernandez could've rolled the ball to first and probably gotten him out. Phillies ended the game with Domonic Brown getting caught in a run down between third and home with the tying run standing at the plate . A Brown double with 2 outs in the 7th inning ended the Nats starters scoreless innings streak at 47 1/3, good for second all time in the expansion era behind the 1974 Baltimore Orioles who finished with 54. Time to start a new streak tomorrow!

Gio Gonzalez takes the ball for the Nats. He'll be opposed by rookie Adam Morgan for the Phils who beat the Cardinals last Sunday in his major league debut. That win by Morgan last week ended a stretch of 25 straight games the Phillies starting pitchers did not record a win...even though Morgan was winless at AAA! Game time is slated for 3:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2015, 12:47 AM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,513,671 times
Reputation: 1143
So Washington is good, but Houston is average, Cubs are average, Dodgers are decent, Giants are OK, Yankees, Os, Blue Jays, Tampa are average? LOL.

The AL East is very competitive. There are 4 good teams, period. The AL West and NL East are weak with 1 good team and 4 bad teams. When you play tough teams all year, you get ready for the playoffs. When you play bad teams all year, you get dominated in the playoffs. This is like saying the AFC North is mediocre because they don't have any teams with 12+ wins.

It's true that there aren't many dominant teams in baseball (only STL and KC), but there are many good teams. Saying the NL East is just as tough as any other division is like saying the AFC East (or West) is tough just because there's one good team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 10:46 AM
 
1,820 posts, read 1,318,692 times
Reputation: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
There are strong divisions. Many divisions, including the AL East, have 3+ quality teams. The NL East has one.
Things can change quickly. Today, your much-despised Nats are 41-33 to the Rays 41-34. So much for TB's "significantly better record." Meanwhile, there are only six divisions in MLB, five of which lack even one actually strong team. The rest are some mix of bad teams, mediocre teams playing over their heads, teams with potential that hasn't been developed or realized yet, teams that have had to play hurt, and teams that ought to be playing better but so far aren't. The notion of many strong divisions is simply a myth.

Last edited by Major Barbara; 06-27-2015 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,551 posts, read 4,502,743 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
So Washington is good, but Houston is average, Cubs are average, Dodgers are decent, Giants are OK, Yankees, Os, Blue Jays, Tampa are average? LOL.

The AL East is very competitive. There are 4 good teams, period. The AL West and NL East are weak with 1 good team and 4 bad teams. When you play tough teams all year, you get ready for the playoffs. When you play bad teams all year, you get dominated in the playoffs. This is like saying the AFC North is mediocre because they don't have any teams with 12+ wins.

It's true that there aren't many dominant teams in baseball (only STL and KC), but there are many good teams. Saying the NL East is just as tough as any other division is like saying the AFC East (or West) is tough just because there's one good team.

Houston leads the league in strikeouts as they strike out about 25% of their plate appearances. They aren't bad but they certainly aren't good either, hence that would make them average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 12:55 PM
 
2,286 posts, read 1,513,671 times
Reputation: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
Things can change quickly. Today, your much-despised Nats are 41-33 to the Rays 41-34. So much for TB's "significantly better record." Meanwhile, there are only six divisions in MLB, five of which lack even one actually strong team. The rest are some mix of bad teams, mediocre teams playing over their heads, teams with potential that hasn't been developed or realized yet, teams that have had to play hurt, and teams that ought to be playing better but so far aren't. The notion of many strong divisions is simply a myth.
I don't despise the Nats. I despise the way the national media forces them down our throats all year every year and prematurely crowns them as the WS champion even though we all know they're going to choke in the NLDS because they have no experience winning tough games coming from an easy division. At least the last couple years Philly was good and the first year Washington got good, the Braves were still pretty decent, so there was some competition.

Do you get to decide that, say, Tampa is mediocre, while Detroit's talent isn't realized yet? When you say "actually strong team," I assume you mean St. Louis? You really think KC isn't very good this year? Going .600 is quite impressive.

One telling stat (although not a perfect one) is looking at the run differential. There are 4 good teams in the AL East, 1 good in the NL East, 3 in the NL Central, 2 in the NL West, etc. Obviously there are anomalies here, like Oakland, but to dismiss teams like LA and SF as OK or mediocre while believing Washington is so great is absolutely ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express
Houston leads the league in strikeouts as they strike out about 25% of their plate appearances. They aren't bad but they certainly aren't good either, hence that would make them average.
So what? Does that make players like Chris Davis or A-Rod average players? Houston seems to be pretty good, just like Washington. Like Washington, they're in a pretty weak division at this point. Though I'd have to imagine the Angels or possibly the As or Mariners will put up a better fight down the stretch than the Mets or Braves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,551 posts, read 4,502,743 times
Reputation: 2488
Default 41-33

Nats and Phils were postponed Saturday with the game in the bottom of the 2nd with the score tied at 0. Gio Gonzalez threw 19 pitches in the top of the 3rd, so it's possible he could come back on Tuesday or Wednesday, while Adam Morgan threw 36 pitches in the 2 innings. He could also come back on short rest later in the week, though it's doubtful either will pitch on Sunday.

This game will be made up as part of a double header on Sunday. Usually, you don't like to play double headers on Sunday's, but the Phillies are playing home to play Milwaukee while the Nats have Monday off before they go to Atlanta to take on the Braves Tuesday through Thursday. The regularly scheduled game begins at 1:05 and will have Stephen Strasburg of the Nats take on Kevin Correria of the Philies. Game 2, the makeup will begin about 25 to 30 minutes after the first game ends. Severino Gonzalez is the scheduled starter for the Phils, undecided for the Nats who will likely use AJ Cole or Tanner Roark for the fill-in starter. Since Joe Ross was optioned to AAA, I believe he can't be recalled until next Sunday unless there's an injury, though with the extra 26th man they'll have available for the DH it's possible he can be brought up for that game, not quite sure what the rules are in regards to the 26th man on the roster for DH's. If Ross is allowed to be recalled for that 26th man, he's a candidate for the game 2 start as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2015, 11:36 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,551 posts, read 4,502,743 times
Reputation: 2488
Default 42-34

Game 1: Nats 3 @ Phillies 2.

Phillies got on the board in the first with a Jeff Franceur home run in the 2nd. Nats tied it in the 5th on an Espi sac fly, and took the lead in the 6th on a Michael Taylor double and a passed ball. Phillies got bacl within 1 in the bottom half on a Franceur RBI single, but Strasburg (4 hits, 9 K's), Thornton (1 K), Carpenter (1 K) and Storen locked down the rest of the game.

Game 2: Nats 5 @ Phillies 8.

Phils got 4 in the 2nd & 4 in the 4th after the Nats scored 3 times in the 4th to put the game away and end the Nats 8 game winning streak. Roark gave up 12 hits in just 3 1/3 innings, but even against a lousy offensive team like Philly, when you are a pitch to contact guy like Roark is that doesn't strike out many, sometimes you'll have games like this. None of the 12 hits were actually hit that hard, they were ground balls that found holes, bloops over the infielders, line drives that fell of the outfielders, but that's what happens when you put the bat on the baseball as sometimes you'll get lucky, and in this case the Phillies did and got Mackanan his first major league victory. Only 2 of the Phillies 24 outs were via strikeout (and they had 0 against Roark). Like I said, you don't strike out, and make contact, sometimes you can get those bloops that fall in and grounders that find holes. Phils starter Severino Gonzalez who is right back in AAA right now has a 3-2 record with an 8.28 ERA . Too bad the Phills can't put up those offensive numbers when the other pitchers are on the mound.

Monday is the day off. Tuesday begins a 3 game series in Atlanta against the Braves. Jordan Zimmermann takes the ball for the Nats, he'll be opposed by Shelby Miller of the Braves, a rematch from last Wednesday in Washington which saw the Nats walk it off in extra innings by a 2-1 score.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 02:38 PM
 
1,820 posts, read 1,318,692 times
Reputation: 1091
/
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
I don't despise the Nats. I despise the way the national media forces them down our throats all year every year and prematurely crowns them as the WS champion even though we all know they're going to choke in the NLDS because they have no experience winning tough games coming from an easy division.
Your strict independence and unbiased impartiality are noteworthy indeed. Meanwhile, everyone with a brain hates insipid studio morons and their annual carnivals of contrived "predictions". But all that is just media hoopla that has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual game. Why do you pay the first iota of attention to these boobs? That part would seem to be entirely on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Do you get to decide that, say, Tampa is mediocre, while Detroit's talent isn't realized yet?
While the Tigers may very well be the new Phillies, I didn't mention them. And it was you as well who brought up the Rays as an example of a team having a "signifcantly better record" than the Nats, but one that quickly turned into a worse record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
When you say "actually strong team," I assume you mean St. Louis?
Duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
You really think KC isn't very good this year? Going .600 is quite impressive.
They have no bench and a suspect rotation. They have a strong bullpen, though their closer has been through some iffy fits. Their recent schedule has pitted them against the Brewers, Red Sox, Mariners, and A's. Those are all last place ballclubs except for the Mariners who are not last in their division only because the A's are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
There are 4 good teams in the AL East, 1 good in the NL East, 3 in the NL Central, 2 in the NL West, etc.
No, there are not. There is ONE good team in the NL Central. Everyone else for the time being lags well behind in the nothing-special-at-all category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Obviously there are anomalies here, like Oakland, but to dismiss teams like LA and SF as OK or mediocre while believing Washington is so great is absolutely ridiculous.
You and your hated TV pundits are the only ones claiming that the Nats are great. Nobody else has made such a claim. Meanwhile, none of these other teams you see such talent in has anything out of the ordinary going for it. They are all "in the mix-ers", hoping to be able to hang onto that status for another 70-75 games, then stage a big finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Does that make players like Chris Davis or A-Rod average players?
A-Rod is an all-time great who at age 39 is having a solid season, especially considering all the stupid crap he's been put through. Chris Davis at 29 is a wunderkind whose years of wonder were a couple of years ago. Crush has become crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Houston seems to be pretty good, just like Washington. Like Washington, they're in a pretty weak division at this point.
They were pretty good when Altuve and Marisnick were each hitting .330. They aren't anymore. Correa has helped out some, but the lineup remains Dave Kingman-esque. They did do a nice off-season job of building a credible bullpen, but the staff is pretty much Keuchel and four days of pick-a-time-bomb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Though I'd have to imagine the Angels or possibly the As or Mariners will put up a better fight down the stretch than the Mets or Braves.
The Braves will soon sell off anything they can get an even marginal return for. The Mets will meanwhile have the best 6-man rotation in MLB history. None of your AL West teams has done anything to suggest that they are more than itinerant middle-of-the-packers or that any sort of break-out is to be expected from them any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2015, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Currently living in Reddit
5,655 posts, read 5,707,363 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
/
Your strict independence and unbiased impartiality are noteworthy indeed. Meanwhile, everyone with a brain hates insipid studio morons and their annual carnivals of contrived "predictions". But all that is just media hoopla that has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual game. Why do you pay the first iota of attention to these boobs? That part would seem to be entirely on you.

There is ONE good team in the NL Central. Everyone else for the time being lags well behind in the nothing-special-at-all category.
I'm not copying the entire post for purposes of this reply, but I did want to address something (and I'm certainly no Nats fan).

It's too early. Maybe not for the Cards (although they haven't yet had their annual 7-game losing streak), but let's take a look at what's happened since May 22, a date I named earlier in this thread to show how the Bucs haven't gained ground on the Cards.

Since May 22, here are the clubs that have gone over .500:

Cards: 24-9 .727
Pirates: 23-11 .676
BlueJays: 22-11 .667
Orioles: 22-14 .611
A's: 20-14 .588
Yankees: 19-15 .559
Rangers: 19-15 .559
Rays: 18-16 .529
Giants: 18-17 .514

Everyone else is at .500 or worse - including the Nats.

So if you parse a season into sections, at any given point you'll find some teams are playing well, others, as you say, are in the nothing-special-at-all category.

Fwiw, if the A's had simply split one-run games (6-19) and extra innings games (0-6), they'd be up with the Astros at 40 wins. I expect a positive regression there, and the A's will be in the mix by end of year. They're underachieving to the tune of 9 games below expected results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2015, 06:57 PM
 
1,820 posts, read 1,318,692 times
Reputation: 1091
What are you even arguing? I'm sorry if like the other guy, you find MLB-TV and ESPN studio clowns upsetting in their vapid pre-season babble. That's what the remote is for. Don't hesitate to use it. Otherwise, there is so far one strong team in MLB and outside of the one they are in, no impressive divisions. Any questions? A modest 90-win season requires a team to play .555-ball. How many teams are at that level so far?

AL East -- None
AL Central -- One
AL West -- One

NL East -- None
NL Central -- Two
NL West -- None
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top