U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 12:11 AM

6,551 posts, read 4,506,707 times

Advertisements

Nats 6 @ Braves 1

Missed this one as I had to work late. All I know is Shelby Miller gave up 5 runs in 5 innings but had 10 strikeouts! If he didn't walk 3 batters he would've joined Andrew Cashner (Padres) and Noah Syndergaard (Mets) as pitchers this month that had double digit strikeouts, 5+ runs allowed in 5 innings or less with 0 walks. Before Cashner pulled that feat off on June 1 it had NEVER happened in MLB history before and Syndergaard did it the next night! And we were 3 walks away from having it happened yet again. I'll let Major Barbara or Carolina Knight fill in the rest.

Wednesday has Doug Fister of the Nats taking on Matt Wisler for the Braves, same matchups as last Thursday's matchup which saw the Nats win big. Game time slated for 7:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 06:28 AM

19,990 posts, read 19,002,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Nats 6 @ Braves 1

Missed this one as I had to work late. All I know is Shelby Miller gave up 5 runs in 5 innings but had 10 strikeouts! If he didn't walk 3 batters he would've joined Andrew Cashner (Padres) and Noah Syndergaard (Mets) as pitchers this month that had double digit strikeouts, 5+ runs allowed in 5 innings or less with 0 walks. Before Cashner pulled that feat off on June 1 it had NEVER happened in MLB history before and Syndergaard did it the next night! And we were 3 walks away from having it happened yet again. I'll let Major Barbara or Carolina Knight fill in the rest.

Wednesday has Doug Fister of the Nats taking on Matt Wisler for the Braves, same matchups as last Thursday's matchup which saw the Nats win big. Game time slated for 7:10 PM.
Shelby Miller has not posted a win in seven starts since 17 May. Allowing four runs in the first inning should have got him pulled sooner than later.

Juan Uribe was the only bright spot for the Braves hitting his fifth home run of the season in the ninth inning. It was too late for the Braves to produce enough runs.

The Braves' Matt Wisler needs to quickly rebound from his previous start which he blew up.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:33 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,319,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Nats 6 @ Braves 1

I'll let Major Barbara or Carolina Knight fill in the rest.
Shelby Miller had given up just three first-inning hits all year, but the Nats got four tonight, as Wilson Ramos' two-out seeing-eye single up the middle made the score 2-0 and brought Clint Robinson to the plate. He promptly launched a "bloop" fly-ball home run down the right field line to make it 4-0. Hit-speed was 86 mph, the slowest I've seen for an H-R this year, but it still went into the people. It became 5-0 in the 3rd when the Braves caught 3-for-5 Danny Espinosa in a pickle between 3rd and home, but A.J. Pierzynski flipped the ball past Juan Uribe and into short left-field to allow the run to score.

Meanwhile, Jordan Zimmermann had his best breaking ball working. Didn't result in a ton of K's, but he had everybody off-balance at the plate all night. With Zimmermann at 109 pitches and starting to tire, Matt Thornton came on to get the last out in the eighth, and David Carpenter gave up the only Braves run, a solo shot by Uribe, in the ninth. Speaking of K's, Ian Desmond had four more of those among the Nats total of 15. His average fell to .222.

Last edited by Major Barbara; 07-01-2015 at 07:40 AM..

Old 07-01-2015, 06:57 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,710,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
Shelby Miller had given up just three first-inning hits all year, but the Nats got four tonight
Call it coincidence or bad timing, but Shelby did not face the Pirates this year in either series. Highly disappointing since Miller is 2-6 lifetime vs Bucs (all with Cards) with a WHIP over 1.5 and more than an HR per game.

Too bad he's probably the only sensible ASG candidate from the Bravos, because he's equally as bad vs. the AL.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Call it coincidence or bad timing, but Shelby did not face the Pirates this year in either series. Highly disappointing since Miller is 2-6 lifetime vs Bucs (all with Cards) with a WHIP over 1.5 and more than an HR per game.
He had made 15 starts prior to last night. That's 15 first innings and a total of 3 hits allowed. He gave up as many runs in the first inning last night as he had in the entire month of May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Too bad he's probably the only sensible ASG candidate from the Bravos, because he's equally as bad vs. the AL.
If the Braves want to get rid of this bum, there are 29 other teams who will be happy to talk to them.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:12 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,659,326 times
Quote:
He had made 15 starts prior to last night. That's 15 first innings and a total of 3 hits allowed. He gave up as many runs in the first inning last night as he had in the entire month of May.

If the Braves want to get rid of this bum, there are 29 other teams who will be happy to talk to them.
Braves are more than happy with Miller LOL.

I couldn't believe Harper not even bothering to jog to first on his flyout to left field yesterday. Guy still has the hotdog mentality that shows he still needs to grow up before he can be looked at as one of the greats currently playing this game.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
A modest 90-win season requires a team to play .555-ball. How many teams are at that level so far?

AL East -- None
AL Central -- One
AL West -- One

NL East -- None
NL Central -- Two
NL West -- None
With wins last night, both the Dodgers and Nationals have slipped above the magic .555 mark. Guess we need to promote them to being "strong teams" and perhaps upgrade their divisions as well.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Braves are more than happy with Miller LOL.
If Miller had run support, he and the Braves would have more wins. I doubt he is the Braves' worst pitcher. Julio Teheran and the Braves' bullpen, on the other hand, have issues this season.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
If Miller had run support, he and the Braves would have more wins.
I certainly wouldn't doubt that. Nor would I doubt that the same would hold true for every other pitcher and team in baseball.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:09 AM

Default 2015 Regular Season: Game #78 (2015-07-01, 19:10) - Braves 4, Nationals 1

The Nationals' nine-game win streak over the Braves ended with a 4-1 loss. A.J. Pierzynski and Juan Uribe hit home runs as part of the Braves' four-run fourth inning.

Doug Fister (3-4) took the loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or