U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 10:38 PM

6,551 posts, read 4,501,201 times

Advertisements

Reds 5 @ Nats 0.

Cueto was awesome and lived up to his billing, Scherzer?? Not so much. Cueto finished with a complete game 2 hitter while Scherzer was knocked out before he could complete 5 innings as the Reds improve to 5-0 against the Nats this year. Only positive to take out of this one is Wednesday will be the last time we have to see the Reds in 2015.

Michael Lorenzen takes the ball for the Redlegs while Gio Gonzalez takes the ball for the Nats looking to avoid the season sweep. Game time is 7:05. Nats have Thursday off, before finishing off the first half of the schedule with a 3 game set in Baltimore against the Orioles beginning Friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 09:30 PM

Default 46-38

Reds 0 @ Nats 0 (postponed).

The final game of the Nats Reds series was postponed due to rain in D.C. A makeup date has yet to be announced but I hope it doesn't get made up (and I highly doubt at the end of the season the game will come back to mean much). I'm not sure how many common off days the team's have but I can't imagine it's anymore then 1 or 2, so trying to get this game in will probably be tough. If it doesn't get made up, the Reds will finish 5-0 against the Nats. Nats, as of now are a combined 10-1 against the Yankees, Pirates & Giants but are 0-5 against the Reds, go figure that one out??

The final series of the first half of the season is the first installment of the battle of the Beltway with 3 in Baltimore. Two night games: 7:05 Friday, 7:15 Saturday and 1:35 Sunday on All Star getaway day. Friday's matchup is Gio Gonzalez for the Nats vs. Chris Tillman for the Orioles. An interesting thing to keep tabs on this weekend: Who will the Nats start on Sunday?? It was scheduled to be Scherzer, but with the rain out Wednesday coupled with Thursday's scheduled off day it pushed both Gio Gonzalez (scheduled for Wednesday) and Jordan Zimmermann (scheduled for Friday) back so Zimmermann will now pitch Saturday. IF Fister (scheduled for Saturday) gets pushed back to Sunday that would mean Scherzer would be eligible to pitch in the All Star Game BUT would also mean Scherzer would have 13 days between starts (assuming he starts the Friday coming out of the break). IF we leave Scherzer on regular rest, Fister would have about 2 weeks in between starts as he'd start either that Sunday or Monday in the 3 or 4 spot. What I would do is start Fister Sunday and hope Scherzer starts the All Star game, can get a couple innings against MLB hitters. With the Dodgers, Mets & Pirates the first 3 series coming out of the break I really don't want a Fister who hasn't started in 2 weeks pitching that first game of the Mets series. Will be interesting to see what Williams does here.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:17 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,318,348 times
Zimmermann it turns out will be off for the weekend on paternity leave. Hadn't heard about that, so I guess it was one of those "sudden onset" pregnancies. In any case, room for Scherzer to start Sunday if the Nats want to go that way.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
Zimmermann it turns out will be off for the weekend on paternity leave. Hadn't heard about that, so I guess it was one of those "sudden onset" pregnancies. In any case, room for Scherzer to start Sunday if the Nats want to go that way.
Probably be Fister (Sat) and Scherzer (Sun). I wouldn't mind Joe Ross coming up to start Saturday either and leave Fister for Sunday giving Scherzer the opportunity to start the All Star Game which he's certainly got a strong case. Even more options for Matt, sometimes TOO many off days hurts you, and in this case I think it does.

Also Span to the DL. Not surprising and since it's backdated to Tuesday I believe that coupled with the break means he'll only miss this weekend in Baltimore, next weekend vs. the Dodgers and the first game vs. the Mets but can come back for that second game.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:16 PM

Default 46-39

Nats 2 @ Orioles 3.

Frustrating game ! Nats scored their 2 in the 5th to take a 2-1 lead. Stayed that way to the 8th when Matt Weiters tied the game and the Orioles won it with a Jonathan Schoop homer off of Tanner Roark in the 9th (why is Roark pitching in a tie game in the 9th is the next question) which landed in the first row in LF. Luckily the Mets refuse to go even find a competent MLB caliber player because if they had ANYONE on their team that could hit the ball they'd be a dangerous threat this year. Outside of May and like 10 games in June, the Nats have been sputtering along like a .500 team, just waiting to get caught again

Saturday concludes the Baltimore portion of the battle of the beltway; Jordan Zimmermann will end up starting for the Nats after all apparently (which is really odd since he was placed on the paternity list), he'll be opposed by Miguel Gonzalez for the Orioles. Game time scheduled for 7:15 PM

Old 07-12-2015, 10:58 AM

Default 47-39

Nats 7 @ Orioles 4.

Danny Espinosa gave them the lead with a 3 run homer, and even though Drew Storen made it interesting by having Adam Jones come up in the 9th as the tying run, he got Jones to fly out harmlessly to second. Nats will go into the break either 2 games up (if both they & the Mets have the same result, either both win or both lose), 1 game up (if they lose & Mets win) or 3 games up (if they win & Mets lose). Considering where we were at the start AND how much the injury bug has gotten us last year I'll take that. With how awful the division has been should we probably be more then 2 games up?? Absolutely, but I think we're going to take off in the second half, and finally go on that big run I've been waiting 3 months for. With the Mets refusal to part with any of their pitches to pick up a quality MLB hitter that can hit a ball, and the Braves likely selling (plus with Grilli suffering the season-ending Achilles injury the other day), I think the second half is going to be a breeze, but would still be good to get some momentum going in. Orioles are another team who have really kicked the can closing the first half (including last night they are 2-6 in their last 8) and another team who could really use some momentum going into the second half.

Pitching matchup is Max Scherzer for the Nats (meaning he'll be unable to pitch Tuesday night) and Wei-Yin Chen of the Orioles. Game time slated for 1:35 PM. After the game Bryce Harper (and maybe Drew Storen to replace Scherzer??) will head to Cincinnati, everyone else will go home/go on vacation for a couple days off. They'll reconvene in Washington, DC Thursday night or Friday morning before starting a home series with the Dodgers beginning on Friday night.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:36 PM

Default 48-39

Nats 3 @ Orioles 2.

Tyler Moore had the game winning hit, while Adam Jones hit 2 solo home runs for the Orioles only 2 runs. Jones second homer in the 9th knocked Scherzer out after 8 2/3 and Drew Storen got the last out in the 9th to finish it. Still completely baffles me how he's NOT an All Star. Take out his bad outing last month in Tampa....where he finished a game we were leading 16-1 and he gave up 3 runs, his ERA combined in his other appearances is under 2. How is that not an All Star??

They are off until Friday when they begin a series with the Dodgers. Neither team has set their second half rotation yet but for the Nats it is probably going to be Scherzer getting the ball, while the Dodgers will give the ball to either Zach Greinke or Clayton Kershaw, with the other likely pitching Saturday against probably Jordan Zimmermann. Friday's game scheduled for 7:05 PM.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:14 PM

Default 48-39

Dodgers 2 @ Nats 3. Top 6 (suspended).

#bantaylorswift! After T-Swift had a couple night concerts at Nats park this week the lights failed not once, not twice, but 3 times! After the 3rd time, the umps said enough is enough. Even though the Nats were winning and we had completed 5 innings, the game is suspended which is weird because if this was a delayed for rain, the Nats would be victorious: completed 5 innings?? Check. A team is leading after 5 innings?? Check. Well, that's an official game! I don't know what a power failure is any different then rain, but we will continue Friday's game before Saturday's regularly scheduled game. Luckily the game starts at 4:05, so the lights shouldn't be a factor for Saturday.

Chien-Hsu Tsao was pitching for the Dodgers, while Tanner Roark was the pitcher for the Nats when the game was suspended, who knows if either or both will continue with the suspended game. Saturday's scheduled game has Clayton Kershaw for the Dodgers vs. Doug Fister for the Nats. Fister hasn't appeared in a game since July 6 while Kershaw last started on July 8. but did throw an inning and blew the game for the NL on Tuesday night.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:36 PM

Default 49-40

Dodgers 3 @ Nats 5 (completion of suspended game).

Adrian Gonzalez tied the score up at 3 with a homer right after the game resumed. Matt den Dekker clubbed the game-winning homer, a 2 run shot in the 8th. Drew Storen put the first 2 guys on in the 9th, but got the final 3 outs to close it out, just missing a 3 run homer from Joc Pederson that was foul only by a couple feet.

Dodgers 4 @ Nats 2 (regularly scheduled game).

Clayton Kershaw went back to being Clayton Kershaw as he finished with 14 strikeouts on the day, 0 runs and I believe only 3 hits against. Kenley Jansen came into the 9th in a non save situation, gave up a 2 run homer to Harper, but around that struck out the side in the 9th.

Sunday's scheduled matchup is Zack Greinke for the Dodgers vs. Max Scherzer for the Nats. Game time was at 1:35, and in the top of the 7th, the Dodgers lead 1-0, the lone run scoring on a wild pitch with 2 outs . A 3 game home series with the Mets starts on Monday

Old 07-19-2015, 07:49 PM

131 posts, read 102,098 times
Mets are catching up to the Nats

Big test for the Nats offense as they face Harvey, DeGrom, and Syndergaard in their 3 game home series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or