U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 09:29 PM

18,873 posts, read 7,339,586 times

Advertisements

Congrats from a Met fan. You obviously paid your electric bill. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 09:08 AM

6,540 posts, read 4,490,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddust View Post
Mets are catching up to the Nats

Big test for the Nats offense as they face Harvey, DeGrom, and Syndergaard in their 3 game home series.

How are the Mets going to score against Gio, Zimmermann and whoever starts Tuesday?? For as bad as the Nats looked against Kershaw & Greinke, they can however score against a Mets bullpen. For as bad as the bridge is from the Nats starters to Storen is, I don't even think the Mets can score on that. Collins said these games count, and pretty much punted the Cardinals series (they should be lucky they even won Sunday's game) so he could put the 3 best this series and Harver & de Grom at Citi. We'll see how Collins turns out. For his sake they better win at least 2 of 3 because just as he punted the Cardinals series last weekend he'll be punting the Dodgers series next weekend as well (Colon, Niese, Harvey the scheduled starters). Anything less than 2 of 3 and you have to wonder about Collins decision, especially if they lose 2 of 3 to the Dodgers as well.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:17 AM

Default 49-41

Dodgers 5 @ Nats 0.

Zack Greinke extended his scoreless inning streak to 43 2/3 with 8 innings of shut out ball. Dodgers first run came in the 4th: Andre Either lead off with a double, a fly ball got him to 3rd, and after Scherzer struck out Puig, it looked like he would escape the inning, but he uncorked a wild pitch that scored Either. Dodgers tacked on 4 insurance runs in the 9th to make the score appear worse then it actually was, as it was only a 1-0 game going to the 9th.

3 game series with Los Mets begins Monday. Matt Harvey takes the ball for Los Mets, he will be apposed by Gio Gonzalez who secures the ball for the home town Nats. Game time is slated for 7:05 PM, and I believe is available nationwide on ESPN this evening.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:28 PM

Default 50-41

Mets 2 @ Nats 7.

Harvey accounted for 7 of the 9 total runs in this game. He gave up 5 runs in the first 3 innings to the Nats, then added a 2 run single in the 4th, for the Mets lone run. Ian Desmond got the final 2 runs in the 9th to take the save chance away from Storen, who still pitched the 9th inning.

Tuesday has Jacob de Grom for the Mets, pitching against Joe Ross, back up filling in for an injured Stephen Strasburg. Game time 7:05.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:55 AM

Default 50-42

Mets 7 @ Nats 2.

Same score as last night, reverse order.

Mets got the scoring started in the 4th: After Ross had retired the first 9 batters he faced, Curtis Granderson lead off the 4th with a single. The Mets than preceded to botch a hit and run attempt with Ruben Tejada at the plate, with Granderson being a cooked duck down at second base....except Wilson Ramos double clutches and Granderson beats the throw . He advanced to 3rd on Tejada's ground out, and scored 2 batters later on a Wilmer Flores single. Ramos got that run back and then some in the 5th when he launched a 2 run homer. Defense once again spoiled another good outing from Ross who took the loss despite only allowing 4 hits & 2 earned runs (3 runs overall). Besides Ramos failing on that botched hit and run attempt (which wasn't an unearned run but should've been), the go ahead run for the Mets scored when Kurt Niewenheis reached base on an error by Clint Robinson, then came around to score the Mets 3rd run. Mets tallied 4 runs in the 9th off of Roark to blow the game open, and like the game vs. the Orioles I ask why the hell are we using Roark in these completely useless situations?? First of all he's out of place in the bullpen, but obviously that's out of necessity, but with that regard AND Joe Ross's emergenge (no doubt he is MLB ready) that's why I'm starting to think they should trade Strasburg for either Chapman or Kimbral, open up a permanent spot for Roark or Ross this year (and btw don't keep yoyo-ing Roark between spot starter and reliever), and actually shore up a weakness which is the gap between the starters & the closer, but that's something I'll touch on next week. As for Roark's use in the bullpen it should either be one of 2 things:
1) The mop up/long reliever. To come in when Gio or Fister blow up, get 4 or 5 innings, and at least save some weapons in the bullpen, or the last bullet for some long extra inning game (game that goes 13 innings or longer) that Matty can leave out there for 5 or so innings.
2) the set up guy for Storen. NEITHER of those 2 choices have Roark starting the 9th in a tie game OR starting the 9th down a run. Why do we have our second best reliever pitching in the 9th.....WHEN WE'RE LOSING!?!?!?!?!?!?! Is there a difference losing 3-2 and losing 20-2, this isn't soccer with aggregate scores! And if you want to defend Matt for Roark's appearance there to keep the game close, and with a chance in the 9th (Harper was due up 3rd), I'm calling b.s there. The team did next to nothing offensively. After Ramos's HR, they had 3 base runners the rest of the game (however 2 of those 3 came in the 9th, but with a 3-2 game it probably plays out differently, plus they didn't score regardless), so it's probably more than 90% likely they would've lost anyways, and if by some chance Espinosa still reaches on the infield single with 1 out to bring up Harper as the tying run, and even though you hardly ever put the winning run on base, and even though Yuni hitting behind him is having a great year, there is absolutely no chance Terry Collins lets Harper bat there. if Yuni or Clint Robinson or Desmond beat you, you tip your cap and come out ready to go the next game, but you don't let the NL MVP beat you. Where was I going with this again?? Oh yah Roark. I know he doesn't strike people out, but a better time to use him would've been when Ross left (Mets on 2nd & 3rd, 1 out, Nats up 3-2). He doesn't strike people out....but he does induce a lot of ground balls (and this year home runs ) . Barrett certainly doesn't strike many people out either, actually no one in the bullpen really does which is why it would be good to have a Kimbrel or Chapman (Roark has a better strike out percentage than Barrett does surprisingly). What you want there is either a strike out or a ground ball; Barrett's OK with ground balls, but Roark's better and has a higher per game strikeout percentage then Barrett does (Barrett averages a little less than 1 strikeout per game, while Roark is at 1.5 and actually leads the entire bullpen).

Game 3 goes on Wednesday afternoon at 12:35; Syndergaard for the Metropolitans, Zimmermann for the Mets. Big game for the Mets as they'll either leave 1 back or 3 back. As I said Monday, they had better win 2 of 3.

Also, FYI, I'm going to check on Roark's last 10 apperances to see what situation he's come into and see if Matty has ANY clue at all about when to use him:

1) Tonight, already explained
2) July 17/18 vs. the Dodgers in that lightgate game. Came on after the delay on the 17th to pitch the 5th and relieve Zimmermann. Threw the 6th inning as well to start the 18th. Got relieved in the 7th. Since you know you're playing a game and a half, it would be in your best interest to use as few of pitchers as possible to finish up that first game. He had also only thrown 25 pitches (7 of which occurred on Friday) and hadn't pitched in a week due to the All Star Break. he could've EASILY pitched another inning and probably multiple innings at that. Maybe he was a candidate to start Tuesday since that was still TBA, but if he was, why did he start the 6th on Saturday then?? He threw 7 pitches on Friday, he could've easily started on 1 extra day rest with only 7 pitches thrown. This made no sense. Started out like a long reliever, but certainly didn't end that way
3) July 10 @ Baltimore. Touched on this briefly above: Pitched 2/3 of an inning, gave up the GW homer to Jonathan Schoop. This is why closers are overrated, in a tie game in the 9th, your best pitcher (if not already used at an earlier point, if so then next best available here) should ALWAYS pitch the 9th. This year Storen is the best relief pitcher. Who cares if Matty is saving him for a save situation in the 10th, 16th, 59th inning you have to get there first!! You force extra innings and you take it from there. If Schoop beats Storen as well, tip your hat, but at least you got beat by your best. This is like David Blatt sitting LeBron James in the first 4 minutes of a 5 minute overtime, and then insert him in the final 60 seconds so he's fresh and can make free throws. What difference does it matter if by that point your down 10 points because your best player sat on the bench?? Not a smart decision, wasn't in the setup/LR role either, and once again this made no sense as well.
4) July 4 vs. San Francisco. Picked up the win and pitched 4 1/3 after Stras got hurt. This is exactly what a long relief pitcher should do. he took it from the 4th to the 9th with Casey Jansenn getting the final 3 outs. Long relief role, smart choice
5) June 28 @ Philadelphia. Started, pitched 3 1/3. Second game of a double header, so was a fill in starter. No rating here, since he started and I'm only looking at relief apperances, but this game would've liked to see treinen go more then 2 innings. When Roark left we were losing 8-3 in a game we ultimately lost 8-5. No need to waste 3 relief pitchers that game, especially since we were the road team and wouldn't have to pitch the 9th.
6) June 23 vs. Atlanta. Pitched 2 innings, got credited with a hold. Wasn't quite a set up role as he pitched the 6th & 7th, but I'll count it as a set up since he set up Thornton/Carpenter (matched up in the 8th) to Storen in the 9th. Set up role, smart choice.
7) June 16 @ Tampa Bay. Started, pitched 7 innings. No ranking
8) June 11 @ Milwaukee. Started, pitched 6 2/3. Once again no ranking
9) June 5 vs. Chicago Cubs. Started, pitched 5 2/3. No ranking
10) May 31 @ Cincinnati. Started, pitched 6 innings. No ranking.

So what do we have here: of his last 10 appearances: 5 have been starts, so we throw those out. Of the final 5: We have 1 "set up" role, 1 "long relief role", and 3 "why the **** is he pitching there" roles, and of the 5, the long relief & the 2 inning "set up" appearances are the only 2 smart choices, so that's not a good way to treat your second best bullpen arm, and the guy who had a 2.85 ERA last year and was a guy worth more then 5 WAR last year. If it wasn't 2:30 in the morning, and if I haven't been typing this up for 90 minutes I'd go back and look at the beginning of the season because I think he was put in even more worthless spots back then, plus he wasn't starting, so I have a greater sample size to go on, though not that I need with the "go by the book Williams" running the show here

2 things I've taken out of this:1) Last year Roark, starting 31 games, had an era of 2.85 and a WAR of 5.2; this year starting 6 games he has an ERA of 4.97 and a WAR of just 0.2, but is actually doing a lot worse in the games he's started with a cumulative ERA in those 6 games at 5.15, so contrary to popular belief he actually is pitching better in the bullpen then in the rotation, but even counting the subpar starting numbers, why are they so bad this year?? Granted, he was probably due a regression, and a pitch to contact guy like him is going to get hit around some, but probably yo-yoing from starter to different areas in the bullpen rank probably have something to do with as he still has no set role (as far as I can tell) on this team, and mind you, by numbers he was their best pitcher last year, and not only got banished to the bullpen this year but got banished to the bullpen in the NLDS last year too despite the fact he was their best pitcher, so at least Matty could give him a set role this year! If you put him in a set role for August and September depending on trades (I'd still trade Stras to San Diego for Kimbral, have Joe Ross take Stras's rotation spot till years end and then have Roark ONLY pitch long relief/mop up/spot starter, so that means no pitching the 7th one day, the 9th the next game, and then 3 innings in mop up duty the following game). If we leave him in 1 role I think he's numbers will drop down.....a lot, he's actually been pretty good in the bullpen.
2) Looking at all these box scores I can't believe the number of times I've seen Aaron Barrett in there with either an "L" for loss or a "B" for blown save. The Bear only has 2 losses and 2 blown saves this year but seems the Bear and Roark have each pitched in the same last 10 games, and it seems like in every one of them he's got either an "L" or "B" on that specific box score.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:40 PM

Default 51-42

Mets 3 @ Nats 4.

Nats scored 3 runs in the 8th inning....all with 2 outs off of Bobby Parnell to steal the win and the series. Michael Taylor tied the game with a single, and Danny Espinosa had the game-winning double which drove in Taylor for the winning run. Drew Storen struck out the side in the 9th to send the Mets back to Flushing 3 back.

4 game series in Pittsburgh starts tonight. Doug Fister takes the ball for the Nats, opposed by Francisco Liriano for the Pirates. Game time slated for 7:05.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:24 PM

Default 51-43

Nats 3 @ Pirates 7.

Pirates hit 3 home runs in the game, I believe the first time the pitching staff has given up 3 home runs in the same game.

Friday night has Max Scherzer for the Nats vs. Jeff Locke for Pitt; game time at 7:05

Old 07-25-2015, 12:23 AM

Default 51-44

Nats 5 @ Pirates 7.

This division is so bad that I'm not even frustrated about this game. Scherzer gave up 3 home runs, the first time he's done that in almost 4 years (September, 2011), we were up 4-2 in the 5th with inning with Scherzer, but he gave up the tying homer to Gregory Polonco. Scherzer only lasted 5 innings, second shortest start of the year. Took the lead again, only to blow it in the 7th I think it was. Frustrating game, but the Mets lost (and so did everyone else besides the Phillies who somehow won in Chicago, lol), so no ground lost on the Mets, another day wiped off the calendar, another day (hopefully) closer to full health. I knew the 10 game stretch coming out of the All Star Break would be tough with the Dodgers, Mets & Pirates, but I figured if we could take 2 of 3 from the Mets (which we did) and not lose any ground the other 7 games (so far we haven't) that I would take that in a heartbeat. However, I'll start to get frustrated if this continues into Miami next week. Fun, interesting factoid: This loss to the Pirates drops the Nats to a dismal 8-14 against the Central with 8 more games left: They finished 3-4 against the Cubs (no games left), are 0-5 against the Reds (with the 6th game only made up if it counts in the standings, i.e. half game up or back for division, so that's likely to finish 0-5), 2-2 against Milwaukee (with 3 games in Washington), 3-2 against Pittsburgh (2 more left in the Steel City), and 1-2 against St. Louis (with 3 more coming in St. Louis). Let's just hope the Dodgers sweep the Mets because the scary Gio goes tomorrow (road ERA of over 5.3) and then face Garret Cole on Sunday, yikes! Let's just get out of Pittsburgh and onto Miami 3 games back.

Saturday's game has Gio for the Nats vs. AJ Burnett for the Buccos. If the Nats want to sink the Jolly Rodger any of these 4 games this weekend this is the game to do it. I know Ross is pitching Sunday, but matching up against Cole is a tall order, moreso when Ross won't go any more then 7 innings, so McCutchen can take some cracks at the underbelly of the Nats middle relief corps, the biggest problem area of the team. According to reports tonight they've talked to the Phils about Papelbon, but I don't think that solves anything, especially with his high priced vesting option just a few weeks away from vesting. I think he needs to finish 13 more games and A) IF acquired he is definitely closing, he's stated that already and B) IF he doesn't finish 13 games between August 1 (say he gets traded July 31) and October 3 when the regular season ends, something has gone seriously wrong. Unless it comes at the expense of a Michael Taylor, Joe Ross, or Trea Turner, I'd rather have Chapman or Kimbrel closing games for us in August, September, and October.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:22 AM

Default 52-44

Nats 9 @ Pirates 3.

A.J. Burnett is a first time All Star and having a career year but he has been beat around like a piñata by the Nats this year. Luckily for Burnett, and unfortunately for the Nats, this is the last time Burnett will pitch against the Nats in the regular season, but they could potentially meet up in the playoffs however. Desmond homered for the 3rd straight game, and Anthony Rendon made his return to the lineup.

Sunday concludes the season series, and with the Nats victory Saturday they are guaranteed to win the season series, it will either be 5-2 (a win) or 4-3 (with a loss). Sunday's matchup looks to be pretty good: Joe Ross takes the hill for the Nats, and will be opposed by All Star Garrett Cole for the Pirates. Game time at 1:35. Nats off Monday, before a 3 game series starts Tuesday in Florida against the Marlins.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:15 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,700,735 times
I'll say this for the Nats, Michael Taylor is an impressive talent. His HR was off a pitch that should've been impossible to hit a HR. Nice range in CF too.

Yes Nats won season series 4-3. But the teams are pretty evenly matched. Nats only faced Cole once. Bucs faced Scherzer, Gio and Ross twice. Gio's hit during the big rally on Saturday against AJ could've been an out or even a DP had AJ either fielded it cleanly or let it go and it's a different game. Nats scored 9 runs in 1st inning vs. Morton, who has a history of 1st inning issues until he gets his sinker working. But zero runs for rest of game. I'm sure you could point to things in your losses. But overall there was no clear separation between the two teams and if they met in an NLCS it likely goes seven.

And PNC Park remains the only NL park where Harper has not homered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or