U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 11:50 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,516,597 times

Advertisements

It'll depend on the matchup in the first round. If the Dodgers can hold on, and the Nats face them in round 1, they have a decent shot at the NLCS (and they can root for Pitt to upset SF and STL somehow). If it's the Giants, I don't see how they win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 12:29 PM

6,555 posts, read 4,512,641 times
Default 54-47

Nats 1 @ Mets 2 (12 innings).

It was the Wilmer Flores show. The guy who was traded, got caught by SNY cameras crying on the field, then wasn't traded, then got lambasted by manager Terry Collins, it was good to see something go right for him this week. Had the games opening run in the 4th, and after the Nats tied it at 1 in the top of the 8th, Flores had the walk-off homer off Sammy Solis in the 12th.

Saturday's pitching matchup is Joe Ross for the Nats vs. Jacob deGrom for the Mets. Game time slated for 7:10 PM.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:41 PM

Default 54-48

Nats 2 @ Mets 3.

Desi got the Nats on the board in the first with a bases loaded, 2 out single which drove in 2. Joe Ross pitched pretty well again, and again was victimiezed by the lack of run support. After getting those 2 in the first off of deGrom, and despite having deGrom throw 65 pitches through 3 innings, they were unable to get any runs across. Last night was the Wilmer Flores show, tonight was the Lucas Duda show as he had all 3 of the Mets RBI's (2 homers [4th & 7th], game-winning double in the 8th), and had 3 of the Mets total 6 hits. Despite outhitting the Mets 7-6, all 7 of the Nats hits were singles (probably a reason we couldn't manufacture anymore runs outside the first inning) while 5 of the 6 Mets hits went for extra bases (3 doubles, 2 homers), 3 of those extra base hits drove in runs and a 4th hit; Curtis Granderson's double leading off the 8th set the stage for Duda's double later in the game which brought home Granderson.

Final game of the series goes Sunday. Jordan Zimmermann for the Nats, Noah Syndergaard for the Mets. Huge game for both as a Mets win ties the division up, while a Nats win sends them back to DC up 2. Still 2+ months and about 60 games left to play, but for a team that was like 2-14 in their last 16 home games against the Nats, and coming off that absolute brutal loss on Thursday would definitely be a statement game. Nats need to bounce back up the mat, avoid the sweep, and go home up 2. Game time is at 8:08 PM as this is the national Sunday night game. Mets travel to Miami for 3 with the Marlins beginning Monday, while the Nats head home for 4 with the D'Backs beginning Monday.

Last edited by 7express; 08-01-2015 at 11:03 PM..

Old 08-01-2015, 10:49 PM

19,021 posts, read 7,406,297 times
They should have let Sunday stay a day game, as both clubs play Monday night. I know its a good matchup though for Sunday night.

Duda has been on a power surge, so this is not a major shock. His home run count last year soared the last few months; seems to be a slow starter regarding dingers.

Good to see 2 days of spotless pen for the Orange & Blue.

PS: Met fan point of view:Hopefully DeGrom bounces back next start. I didn't see the game. Looking at his pitch count my first hunch would be too much adrenaline, and overthrowing.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
They should have let Sunday stay a day game, as both clubs play Monday night. I know its a good matchup though for Sunday night.

Duda has been on a power surge, so this is not a major shock. His home run count last year soared the last few months; seems to be a slow starter regarding dingers.

Good to see 2 days of spotless pen for the Orange & Blue.

PS: Met fan point of view:Hopefully DeGrom bounces back next start. I didn't see the game. Looking at his pitch count my first hunch would be too much adrenaline, and overthrowing.
I wrote this in the Regular-season thread with regards to the Sunday night game, but it bears rementioning here:

"This is exhibit A for why I've ALWAYS hated the ESPN Sunday night game (not to mention the announcers are horrible, but that's a different story). I know MLB teams don't get many days off, teams wouldn't want to waste those days and I believe you can't play more than 28 days in a row but something really has to be done in regards to these teams on Sunday night baseball, which on some nights the game might not end until close to 12 in the morning and you have to play 17 hours later??

Option A I've come up with: Any road team OR home team that is on the road next series that has to play the Sunday night game gets the following Monday (i.e. next day) off. This should be fairly easy to accomplish since on average (27 weeks) no team should appear more then twice however since ESPN likes to shove specific teams down our throats and makes other teams invisible this is a lot more difficult then it really should be to implement.

Option B I've come up with: Any team playing the Sunday night game can't play more then 500 miles away the following day. I.e. if the Yankees/Sox is the Sunday night game the Sox can play at home, @ the Mets, @ the Phillies, @ the Nationals or @ the Orioles. Meanwhile the Yankees the following day can play: at home, @ Mets, @ Blue Jays, @ Nationals, @ Pirates, @ Phillies, @ Orioles or @ Indians. With the way ESPN hoards teams this isn't very effective either.....however it could be if teams only made 2 appearances every year."

Granted Mets traveling to Miami is a relatively short trip compared to what some teams have done this year: Giants playing in Washington on Sunday night then have a HOME game on Monday night.
A couple years ago the Yankees played in Boston on Sunday night in a game that lasted until like 12:30 in the morning and then had to play in Texas the following night, so Mets going to Miami and Nats going to DC are relatively easy. At the very least, ESPN should move the start times up to 7 or even better 6 PM. By the time the game ends I don't even think the teams can fly out of LaGuardia as I believe they don't allow takeoffs after midnight, so for the Nats that's extra time traveling to JFK, and for the Mets if the fly down to Florida even more time as well.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:20 PM

I like your idea on travel limits, but I'd even settle for team playing Sunday night's team must be going a minimum of 1500 extra miles vs the Sunday night team, which would at least not leave them with a gigantic freshness edge. It would essentially mean Fish to have Monday home game would need to be in California or Arizona Sunday afternoon.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

Btw, here's the Sunday night games, and the following day for each teams:

week 1: Cardinals @ Cubs. First series of the year, so played 2 more in Chicago, but had Monday off anyhow (and turns out also got Tuesday off too due to a rainout)
Week 2: Red Sox @ Yankees. Red Sox went home to play Washington, albeit a 3 PM start since it was their home opener. Yankees in Baltimore. Easy travel
Week 3: Reds @ Cardinals. Reds went up to Milwaukee Monday, so easy for them. Cards had next series in Washington, however had Monday off
Week 4: Mets @ Yankees. Yankees stayed at home to play the Rays, Mets went to Miami to play the Marlins. Both series started Monday. So far the Mets are the only teams that's had to travel more then 400 miles for a game the next day.
Week 5: Yankees @ Red Sox. Yankees went up to Toronto, Red Sox stayed home to play the Rays. Once again both series started Monday.
Week 6: Royals @ Tigers. Royals played the night in Arlington, TX, Tigers stayed home AND had Monday off. So far the Royals to Texas have the furthest travel, but that won't last.
Week 7: Tigers @ Cardinals. Both teams played Monday; Tigers played Brewers at home, Cardinals went to New York to play Mets. Pretty far, but Royals to Texas still have the lead by about 230 miles
Week 8: Rangers @ Yankees. Rangers went to Cleveland, which falls under the 500 mile marker, Yankees stayed home to play Royals.
Week 9: Tigers @ Angels. Tigers had Monday off as a travel day to fly back East before starting a home series with Oakland Thursday; Angels stayed home to face the Rays
Week 10: Cards @ Dodgers. Both teams played Monday; Cards went to Denver to play Rockies, still beat out by Royals to Texas, however only by about 130 miles. Dodgers stayed home to play D'Backs
Week 11: Reds @ Cubs. Reds went to Detroit to play Tigers; Cubs stayed home to play Indians.
Week 12: Giants @ Dodgers. We have a winner in the "furthest traveled" department as the Dodgers went 2,000 miles to play the Cubs in Chicago the next night, while the Giants had Monday off
Week 13: Cubs @ Cardinals. Both teams had Monday off
Week 14: Giants @ Nationals. The Giants wanted to one-up their rivals as they went almost 3,000 miles to play the Mets at home.......the next night!!! Nats stayed home to play the Reds
Week 15: Cardinals @ Pirates. Final game before the All Star break
Week 16: Red Sox @ Angels. One of the few remaining "wrap around" series as they finished the series in Anaheim Monday night
Week 17: Tigers @ Red Sox. Tigers went to Tampa, Red Sox stayed home.
Week 18: Nationals @ Mets. Nats heading home, Mets heading to Florida (isn't it weird that the Mets only have 2 appearances, both have come in New York AND the very next series is in Florida, both starting on Monday??)
Week 19: Dodgers @ Pirates. Pirates have Monday off, Dodgers have to play the next night....against the Nationals........at home! What's with making these teams travel across the country to play the next night??
Week 20: Angels @ Royals. Like the Dodgers, the Angels have to fly all the way back to California to play the next night! Why??? Royals have the day off
Week 21: Giants @ Pirates. Giants are off; Pirates in Florida. Compared to some of the others not so terrible.
Week 22: Cubs @ Dodgers. Since the MLB earlier in the season sent the Dodgers to Chicago the day after playing the Sunday night game at home, I guess they thought it was only fair to do the same thing to the Cubs, as they play the next night at home, while the Dodgers stay at home. 2 wrongs don't make a right MLB!
That takes us through the end of August, and MLB hasn't announced the schedule for the final 4 weeks, so let's do a running count:
Despite there being 22 weeks, and a possible 44 team selections, these teams have yet to make an appearance: Rays, Orioles (despite being in the ALCS last year!), Blue Jays, Indians, White Sox, Twins (despite being one of the 2 Wildcard teams), Astros (despite being 3 games up in the West), A's, Mariners, Phillies, Braves, Marlins, Brewers, D'Backs, Padres, Rockies. That's over HALF. THE. LEAGUE (16/30 teams) that hasn't made a Sunday night appearance this season. Now can you understand why I absolutely hate it?? I can understand some of the teams (Marlins, A's, Rockies) because they were going to be terrible, but if you're gonna leave the red Sox on so many times (4) shouldn't you put the Phillies on, if you really wanna grab "viewership."
Btw, the Cardinals lead the count with 5 apperances while the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Tigers, & Red Sox each have 4, while the Pirates, Angels, & Giants each come in with 3. The fact that the team with the second worst record in the AL has 4 times as many Sunday Night Baseball appearances as the team with the second best record in the AL is completely asinine! I know ESPN is a business, but it's a joke! I rest my case for why these Sunday night games are a joke! Every team should appear at least once, and no team should appear more then 3 times, that way we won't have teams ending a game in Washington at 11:45, and playing in San Francisco at 10:15 the following night.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:34 PM

Week 19 IMO is the worst-2 playoff teams, and 3,000 mile flight!

Old 08-02-2015, 10:04 PM

Default 54-49

Nats 2 @ Mets 5.

And we have a tie folks! Weird game at Citi Field as all 7 runs scored this game came via the home run. Anthony Rendon got the party started in the first with a home run. In the 3rd, the Mets took a 5-1 lead with 3 homers in a 4 batter span (Granderson & Murphy back to back & Duda following a Cespedes single). Escobar finished the scoring and the home run barrage with a solo shot in the 6th. This concluded the 10 game road trip where they finished a dismal 3-7 (1-3 in Pitt, 2-1 in Miami, 0-3 in Queens). Time for some home cooking this week as we have 7 in DC against the D'Backs and Rockies before heading on the road again for another 10 game road trip out west. Better make these 7 games at home count!

Monday starts a 4 game series vs. the D'Backs. Rookie Zach Godley takes the ball for the D'Backs whos is making his 3rd career start. he is 2-0 with a 2.25 era beating the Brewers & Mariners in his first 2 starts so that is far from easy. Doug Fister takes the ball for the Nats. Game time is at 7:05 PM.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Nats 2 @ Mets 5.

And we have a tie folks! Weird game at Citi Field as all 7 runs scored this game came via the home run. Anthony Rendon got the party started in the first with a home run. In the 3rd, the Mets took a 5-1 lead with 3 homers in a 4 batter span (Granderson & Murphy back to back & Duda following a Cespedes single). .

Wind was going out towards left, and ball was jumping. I wasn't sure Rendon even had a hit at first. 4 weeks ago, that ball dies far short of the wall. Duda's HR was weird for him, very high, and a long time to land. Usually his are line drive dingers.

Never expected to say this, but IMO, Murphy had the best hit dinger. Even when NYC is cold early in season, it is gone.

3 games..15 runs..about what I expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or