U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2015, 08:28 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,799,284 times

Advertisements

Nats should have also went with contact hitter before July 31, and a new catcher would have been great as well.

Another thing; Matt Williams needs to bench Ian Desmond, and put in Danny Espinosa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 04:15 PM

6,562 posts, read 4,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Nats should have also went with contact hitter before July 31, and a new catcher would have been great as well.

Another thing; Matt Williams needs to bench Ian Desmond, and put in Danny Espinosa.

If San Diego really did think they were still in it, they should have offered Joaquin Benoit for Ian Desmond. A free agent for free agent swap. SD has a black hole sucking up the middle infield, and even Desmond having his worst year in his career has better numbers then the guys SD is putting out at short this year. On the Nats side they get a veteran reliever to strengthen the bullpen, but on the other hand he's not a closer, so you don't have to mess with Storen, and I think a Benoit-Storen 8th and 9th would've been just as good as a Storen-Papelbon 8th and 9th will be. By subtracting Desmond, that allows Espinosa to play every day, because Turner is still a year away. Espinosa always had better defense then Desi, but this year he actually has better offensive numbers then Desi too! With all the injuries, I think it's safe to say Espinosa has been the 2nd best offensive player this year, and he's gotten 0 at bats since July 26?!?!? Play the damn guy!!!

Old 08-03-2015, 07:38 PM

19,069 posts, read 7,424,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddust View Post
Nats are just a lock to win the division this year.

Mets are only being propelled by their impressive April, to return to the same ole Mets. Braves may give you a run for your money, but I think they will still finish below .500. Braves will pass the Mets and finish 2nd, and possibly even Miami may pass the Mets.
I don't think either the Nats or Mets got your memo.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:09 PM

Default 54-50

D'Backs 6 @ Nats 4.

When Strasburg comes back off the DL (he had a rehab start tonight which could be his last one) can we DFA Fister and leave Ross in the rotation?? It's being overlooked, but this guy has been bad pretty much all season long. He won't be back next year, so can we cut the losses a few weeks early?? Makes a living off his sinker, and he's got no sink to it, so he pretty much throws straight 90's fastballs, no wonder he's getting beat around like a piñata. DFA him or put him back on the DL for "arm or shoulder fatigue" when Stras comes back. We were down 6-0 going into the 9th and had the tying run at the plate with 2 outs, but Werth grounded out weakly to the pitcher, and Escobar flied out to end the game.

Tuesday's matchup is Patrick Corbin for the D'Backs vs. Max Scherzer for the Nats, game time slated for 7:05 PM

Old 08-06-2015, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post

Matt Williams needs to bench himself, in favor of somebody that's competent and actually knows what the hell their doing!

Old 08-06-2015, 12:22 AM

Default 55-51

Tuesday:

D'Backs 4 @ Nats 5.

Go figure, Papelbon has had 3 appearances with the Nats, and in 2 of those 3 he's allowed runs. I know the run in the 9th was with 2 outs when Escobar airmailed the 3rd out over Zimmerman's head at first but if you're so good you don't put those runners on with the opportunity to score on an error, passed ball, etc. And his home run in the 9th inning on Monday gets overlooked. Instead of being down 2, Taylor can instead be the tying run and then Werth (pinch hitting) and Escobar can be the winning run. Completely changes those 2 at bat's around because Ziegler doesn't have the extra run to work with at his disposal, outfield plays differently, etc. Instead of playing the no doubles and the lines defense on Escobar because they can careless about Taylor because his run means absolutely nothing, if it's a 1 run game they have to play more shallow and probably more straightaway to give the fielders a chance at throwing out Taylor. Maybe Perrallta doesn't catch that foul in that scenario. It can play out a lot of ways, but it's a home run that looked meaningless at first with the score but was actually one of the bigger plays of the game (as I even didn't notice during the recap). Tell me how he's better then Storen again??

Wednesday:

D'Backs 11 @ Nats 4.

I was busy, didn't watch, probably sounds good that I didn't watch it. Tyler Moore looked to be the team's best pitcher. When your 3rd string first basemen is the best pitcher on the night......yah, things not going too well!

Thursday concludes the series with the best the Nats can do is split. Jeremy Hellickson (D'Backs) vs. Joe Ross (Nats), game time 4:05.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:27 PM

Default 56-51

D'Backs 3 @ Nats 8.

In a 4-3 game in the 7th, D'Backs had runners on second and 3rd 1 out and had already scored 2 runs to cut the lead to 1. They failed to score another run, Nats added a run in the bottom half, and Clint Robinson had a 3 run homer in the 8th for the final margin.

Friday starts a 3 game series with the Rockies. Jorge de la Rosa for the Rockies (second de la Rosa they have faced in last 3 days after facing D'Backs Rubby de la Rosa Wednesday), Jordan Zimmermann for the Nats, game time at 7:05.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:16 AM

Default 56-52

Rockies 5 @ Nats 4

That game was complete $#!t! Nats took a 4-0 lead, and even after the Rockies got on the board in the 7th to knock Zimmermann out of the game after 6 2/3 it looked to be in good shape with the new 2 headed monster finishing off the 8th and 9th inning. Unfortunately, Storen gave up the game-losing grand slam to Carlos Gonzalez and the slide continues. These next 2 games are MUST wins. The Rockies are crap on the road and losing a series at home to this team when we go out West could end up being a death wish for this team. Really should've been a sweep, but this crushing loss combined with the Mets scoring 2 runs in the 9th to win 4-3 means we'll still be in second for the West Coast trip, so really can't afford to go out there any more then 2.5 half like we are now.

Saturday's pitching matchup is Eddie Butler for the Rockies vs. Stephen Strasburg making his first start since being activated off the DL. He last started July 4 vs. the Giants. Game time is at 7:05.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:45 PM

Default 57-52

Rockies 1 @ Nats 6.

Missed most of this as I fell asleep but Strasburg finished with 12 strikeouts I believe in his return from the DL.

Sunday finishes the 3 game Rockies series and the 7 game home stand. Yohan Flande for the Rockies vs. Max Scherzer for the Nats. Game time slated for 1:35. Nationals make their final "long" road trip of the season as they start a series in LA against the Dodgers on Monday and will also see San Francisco & Denver on this trip. After this trip the farthest they go the rest of the regular season is St. Louis AND they'll only have 15 more road games left compared to 27 home games. After that upcoming trip the largest remaining road trip they'll have is 6 games (twice) while they'll have home stands consisting of 9 games and 11 games at the end of September. As long as we don't get totally buries on that trip (i.e lose 7+ games in the standings) I think the division is there for the takings. I know the Mets have easier opponents but they also have more road games. Rockies meanwhile head up to Queens to take on the Mets for 4 games with night games Monday to Wednesday and an afternoon matinee on Thursday afternoon. Hopefully they can help us out and split that 4 game series.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:26 PM

Default 57-53

Rockies 6 @ Nats 4

Well, that was disappointing! Coming off a tough sweep at the hands of the Mets and starting a road trip to the Mets we had a 7 game home stand against 2 teams under .500. At minimum we should've won 4, but probably should've won 5 or 6. With Scherzer pitching, and staking him to a 3-1 lead, this one was especially painful. Once again, the Storen to the 8th experiment blew up in their face. He gave up a 2 out, 2 run single to DJ Lameiau to turn a 4-4 tie into a 6-4 Rockies lead. Nats had the bases loaded in the 9th with only 1 out, but Werth struck out and Desmond grounded out to end this homestand 3-4 and an unhappy and long flight to California. I'm not saying Casey Jannsen or Matt Thornton or Aaron Barrett would've given up the grand slam to Carlos Gonzalez on Friday night, or the Lemeiau single today, but that's what happens when you demote a closer who has only 2 blown saves on the year (with the team winning 1 of those games) and a 1.75 era you get situations like those where pitchers aren't comfortable with where they are pitching. That's why I was NEVER a fan of the Papelbon trade, and the fact we are actually WORSE since the trade it looks even more stupid then when it happened. Don't replace a closer that's 29/31 in save opportunities and a 1.75 ERA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monday starts a 3 game series in LA; Gio Gonzalez for the Nats and Brett Anderson for the Dodgers, game time at 10:10. Dodgers are playing the Sunday night game and have Greinke & Kershaw pitching the next 2, so hopefully we can take advantage of the Dodgers heading back on short rest and take the opener because we probably won't even score the other 2 games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or