U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 01:19 PM

6,551 posts, read 4,501,201 times

Advertisements

Nats 8 @ Dodgers 3.

Ian Desmond hit 2 home runs, the first time in 5 years he hit 2 homers in the same game, and Gio went to work on the Dodgers C lineup. Due to the fact the Dodgers played the ESPN Sunday night game AND had to play in California the next night (no need to beat a dead horse about why the ESPN Sunday night game is terrible) coupled with the fact the Dodgers were facing a tough lefty in Gio Don Mattingly sat basically every regular, so he sent up the backups to the back ups to start. The only Dodgers regulars that started for Alberto Callapso at 3rd (who I really wouldn't call a dangerous bat), Jimmy Rollins at SS and Yasiel Puig in RF: Andre Either, Joc Pederson, Carl Crawford, Yasmani Grandal, Adrian Gonzalez and Howie Kendrick (who got hurt Sunday otherwise he probably would have started) all got the night up. With the Nats facing Greinke & Kershaw the next 2 nights and with Mattingly sending up the backups to the backups, that was a game we could ill afford to lose, and thankfully we didn't! We had a shut out going into the 9th before Crawford, pinch hitting in the 9th hit a 3 run homer off of Doug Fister, making his first relief outing out of the bullpen.

Tuesday should be an excellent matchup: Joe Ross for the Nats, Zack Greinke for the Dodgers. Joe Ross has been victimized by lack of run support this year which is why the win/loss record is bad. Hopefully we can give Ross some run support and win the series! Game time at 10:10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 02:09 PM

Default 58-54

Nats 0 @ Dodgers 5.

Yasiel Puig had all 5 of the Dodgers RBI's on the night. He had a 2 run homer in the 4th to put the Dodgers on the board after Either had a triple overturned on replay (he was called out on the field after Taylor made a great play to throw to 3rd after the ball got by him in CF, but replay ruled him safe), and then in the 6th he drove in the Dodgers final 3 runs. Clint Robinson, subbing for Bryce Harper misses on a dive attempt that if Harper is playing RF probably gets caught and really should have gotten caught even with Robinson out there. This was Ross worst start as a major leaguer as he gave up 5 runs and 4 walks but still wasn't that bad. If that ball by Robinson gets caught that's only 4 walks and 2 runs he gives up. Once again he was victimized by no run support, but against Greinke, no real surprise there.

Finale of the 3 game and season series tonight with the Dodgers leading the season series 3-2 with another really good matchup: Jordan Zimmermann of the Nats vs. Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers. Game time slated for 10:10 PM. Nats travel up the CA coast to San Francisco to face the Giants for 4 games starting Thursday night, while the Dodgers stay at home and host the Cincinnati Reds for 4 games also starting Thursday night.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:35 PM

18,917 posts, read 7,363,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post

Monday starts a 3 game series in LA; Gio Gonzalez for the Nats and Brett Anderson for the Dodgers, game time at 10:10. Dodgers are playing the Sunday night game and have Greinke & Kershaw pitching the next 2, so hopefully we can take advantage of the Dodgers heading back on short rest and take the opener because we probably won't even score the other 2 games.
Your prediction here is looking rock solid. Through 15 innings of the 2 games started by Greinke/Kershaw, you have no runs, and just 1 hit vs Kershaw through 6.

His pitch count has him on track for a complete game.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:00 AM

Default 58-55

Nats 0 @ Dodgers 3.

I don't know why I torture myself and watch this $#!t! Zimmermann finished with 9 strikeouts 2 hits allowed and got hit with the loss! Kershaw had a perfect game going through 5 1/3 before Michael Taylor ended it with a screaming double over Joc Pederson's head. He would add another single in the 8th off of Mr. Kershaw so he actually finished a respectable 2-3 on the night. Speaking of the 8th: The Dodgers blew the game open. Storen, pitching the 8th for some reason, with 1 out and 2 strikes on Pederson hit in the foot with a slider. Andre Either, who was pinch hitting for Jimmy Rollins, who was originally pinch hitting for Jose Peraza and got sent back once Pederson got hit sent one over Harper's head for a double. Pederson, with the ball hit so hard coupled with Harper's good arm probably wasn't gonna score on the play regardless but he stopped (got deke'd??) rounding second so he stopped at 3rd and Either ended up at second. Harper throws the ball into Rendon, who, inexplicably throws it into 3rd, got by the fielders and Storen backing up (probably because no one was expecting it) bounced into the stands, and both Pederson & Either got to trot home for the little league homer. THOSE are the plays that make me frusterated, it's like their going through the motions out there. Neither Pederson or Either was going anywhere, so WTF is Rendon throwing the ball around for?? *****ing walk it back into the infield for Christ's Sake! It's a ****ing 1 run game, with Harper coming up, and we have Kershaw out of the game, and are gonna fall to 3.5 games back, what the hell are we giving away free runs for?? We can't even score so it was probably over with 1 run anyways, with 3 runs it may as well had been 50-0. I'd really hate to admit it, but after watching them & the Mets I don't think they're catching the Mets again this year. Two ships passing in the night. The Nats have an idiot as a manager, can't hit a lick, Storen and the team have been a complete disaster since the Papelbon trade, and the biggest strength (the starting pitching) has been incredibly disappointing. Meanwhile, the Mets trio are actually pitching better then I though they would be, castaway Niese is really having a good couple months which no one notices because he's in the same rotation as Harvey, deGrom & Syndergaard, and their biggest weakness (offense) they added Cespedes, and even adding Cespedes with Cuddyer coming off the DL, and Conforto staying up, everyone seems to be happy in the Mets clubhouse. The Nats try to fix a weakness, they make it worse somehow and it's caused the season to spiral out of control. If the Mets sweep Pittsburgh this weekend and the Nats lose 3 or 4 of 4 in San Francisco this weekend, the NL East race could very well be over. After this weekend the Mets & Nats will have pretty much the same common opponents: the only differences being the Mets have 2 interleague series left against the Red Sox & Yankees (both at home) while the Nats only have 1 left (vs. Orioles) and while the Mets lone remaining series against an NL Central club is @ the Reds, the Nats have to play @ the Cardinals in their lone remaining series against a Central team. The remaining games both teams get to feast on the Marlins, Phillies & Braves with the Mets having an extra 2+ wins against Boston. I know it's only 3.5 AND it's only August 13 but the Nats can't end this weekend any more then 3.5 back. When almost 70% of your remaining games are against sub .500 teams that's a pretty big gap. BTW, after this weekend: Mets will have 34 of 48 games left against teams under .500, Nats will have 33 of 49 left under .500. The Mets will have more road games left: 26 to 18 which definitely helps matter but the schedule strength is about the same so will the backloaded stretch of home games the Nats have coming up here after they finish in Denver (16 of next 19 will be at home) be enough to make up a 3.5 game deficit?? I'm not sure, but anymore games lost between now and next Wednesday is really pushing our luck. We are pretty much buried in the Wildcard standings too, so that won't help us.

4 game series begins with the Giants Thursday. Stephen Strasburg for the Nats, Ryan Vogelsong (he was demoted to the bullpen when they traded for Leake and he's filling Leake's rotation spot when he's on the DL) for the Giants. Game time at 10:15. If we lose this game I give up . I'll be in Boston for the next couple nights so if nobody updates this thread I'll get the update on Friday when I get back.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:

. Meanwhile, the Mets trio are actually pitching better then I though they would be, castaway Niese is really having a good couple months which no one notices because he's in the same rotation as Harvey, deGrom & Syndergaard, and their biggest weakness (offense) they added Cespedes, and even adding Cespedes with Cuddyer coming off the DL, and Conforto staying up, everyone seems to be happy in the Mets clubhouse.

Castaway Niese only due to an incredible staff. His 3.46 2015 ERA is only .35 better than his career, which is better than many teams 4 or 5 starters. He has always been streaky, and a year ago, I preferred Gee, but he is finally performing once again up to his capabilities.

I still think by June 2016, he has no spot, as Matz & Wheeler fill out the killer rotation.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:22 PM

Nats-SF on ESPN Friday night.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:

4 game series begins with the Giants Thursday. Stephen Strasburg for the Nats, Ryan Vogelsong (he was demoted to the bullpen when they traded for Leake and he's filling Leake's rotation spot when he's on the DL) for the Giants. Game time at 10:15. If we lose this game I give up . I'll be in Boston for the next couple nights so if nobody updates this thread I'll get the update on Friday when I get back.
Giants 3, Nats 1.

Vogelsong wins (5 IP, 3H, 4BB, 8K); Strasburg loses. Escobar leadoff HR, Giants respond with 2 first inning runs on singles, another in the 7th on a single. 4.5 games back..1-3 road trip so far.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:48 PM

Default 58-57

Thursday:

Nats 1 @ Giants 3.

Escobar hit the first or second pitch of the game for a homer, and then finished the next 5+ innings with only 2 other hits against Ryan Vogelsong which says all you need to know about that. Strasburg gave up 2 runs in the first but after that pitched great. Giants added an insurance run in the 7th

Friday Nats 5 @ Giants 8.

This. Is. Pathetic! Looks likes all the innings Scherzer threw in the first half are coming back to bite him in the ass in the second half as he has been garbage for the majority of the starts he's made since then. His first start after the break was that finale of the Dodgers series where he gave up the 1 run on the wild pitch in a game they ultimately lost 5-0, and then a couple starts later in Florida he threw a gem in a 1-0 or 2-1 win over the Marlins. Aside from those 2?? Garbage! And this was the worst of the worst. 6 runs, 2 homers, 3 innings pitched. Yuck! Once again the Nats scored in the first inning, only to have the lead be pissed away in the bottom half of the inning. Nats got their final 4 runs in the 5th I believe: an Espinosa solo homer, and a Harper 3 run homer. Giants added 1 insurance run in the 7th to go up 2, and added another for good measure in the 8th.

Saturday, the Nats will try to get on the board this series (and with Bumgarner staring them down Sunday BETTER win this one otherwise this will really be a lost trip). Gio Gonzalez for the Nats; Jake Peavy for the Giants, game time 10:05. I really want to keep having hope, but I'm starting to lose it.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:10 AM

131 posts, read 102,098 times
It is division of bust for the Nats really and of the Mets can continue playing like they have since the ASB I think the Mets will run away with the division.

Cubs and Bucs are still a ways away and I expect that both will fight for that top WC spot

Old 08-15-2015, 11:52 AM

Yah, there's a 0% chance the second East teams gets a Wildcard, so it's boom or bust for both the Mets & Nats. The Pirates, Cubs & Giants are just so much better. Really, the season could come down to the final series of the year: October 2-4 Nats @ Mets. Whoever wins the series is probably division champs, whoever loses the series is probably going home. So nice for MLB to set up the schedule that way and give BOTH Nats and Mets fans heart attacks those 3 games
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or