U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2015, 01:18 PM

18,893 posts, read 7,356,703 times

Advertisements

Actually as of now Mets are .5 games ahead of SF. I think NL east winner should get a minimum of about 88-90 wins. The schedules for both Mets and Nats are easy, while Cubs still have quite a few tough opponents left. ( 6 road LA & SF), 6 Cards games, 3 Pirates for Cubbies. OUCH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 10:08 PM

6,550 posts, read 4,497,941 times
This team stinks!

Old 08-15-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
This team stinks!
Even if they lose tonight, they are still a .500 team, which would rank as mediocre. They have been terrible since the 2nd half began, at 10-18 coming into Saturday.

East Coast teams usually perform badly in Ca; Mets 4-2 trip a while ago, was likely the turning point of their year, as a horrid trip would not have had them as buyers in June.

Even when Nats won the division, I have found them a tough team to read. I know they went into this year as "now or bust", due to free agency losses to come, but I was never sure how good or mediocre they would be this year. Especially as, with great 1st halfs by Scherzer and Harper, Nats could not achieve much separation from Mets.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:24 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,512,615 times
Are the ESPN guys still bullish on the Nats? (Srs question, I don't have cable anymore.)

Part of me wants to root for them... since the O's always seem to have pretty much the same fate as the Nats.

If they want to get in, it's going to be via the NL East, not the wild card. There are just too many teams to jump. They'll need to beat up on their division next month, and a win tomorrow in SF and hold their own against STL. And hope the Mets lose some more games to Pitt, Bal, NYY. They've still got 2 more series vs. the Mets to make things happen.

But I went to one of their games in April. I know they had some injuries back then, but no one in their lineup scared me at all (Harper I guess a little). While they've got some good pitchers in their rotation, all the "historically good rotation" talk is nonsense. Plus they have some serious bullpen issues. Not quite Detroit-level, but serious enough to blow a playoff series.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:45 PM

Default 58-58

Nats 6 @ Giants 12.

I'm completely disgusted and Williams NEEDS to go......NOW. After watching the first 3 disasters I decided to do something more productive tonight, so didn't watch this, just got the scoring update on At Bat. Scored in the first, Desmond hit an absolute bomb to LF in the second to go up 2-0. Giants got 6 in the 3rd, aided by Gio Gonzalez walking the 8th and 9th hitters , scored a couple more in the 5th to go up 9-2, Nats got 3 in the back in the 6th before the Giants blew it open with 1 in the 7th and 2 off the 8th off of Drew Storen (great trade for Papelbum huh Rizzo??). I'm praying that when I wake up tomorrow morning I see the "Matt Williams has been fired" on my At Bat notifications because this team has no fire, the team has quit, and quite frankly Williams is a complete idiot in the dugout.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:17 AM

Today concludes the 4 game series with Joe Ross taking the ball against Giants ace Madison Bumgarner, with game time slated for a respectable 4:05 PM start. Nats are off on Monday before starting a 3 game series in Denver against the Rockies on Sunday, Giants head onto St. Louis to begin a 4 game series with the MLB-best Cardinals beginning on Monday night.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:34 PM

So, Rendon is still hitting around .200, Werth is still hitting under .185 looks completely lost at the plate and is 2-11 career against Bumgarner. Danny Espinosa meanwhile has a home run in 2 straight games, is 5-16 (with 2 walks) career against Bumgarner and guess who's sitting?? That's right Espinosa!

This idiot managing this team is a complete and utter bafoon! Time to put him out of his misery already. I'm not even paying attention to the game today because I'm beyond disgusted.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:08 PM

41,080 posts, read 18,589,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
So, Rendon is still hitting around .200, Werth is still hitting under .185 looks completely lost at the plate and is 2-11 career against Bumgarner. Danny Espinosa meanwhile has a home run in 2 straight games, is 5-16 (with 2 walks) career against Bumgarner and guess who's sitting?? That's right Espinosa!

This idiot managing this team is a complete and utter bafoon! Time to put him out of his misery already. I'm not even paying attention to the game today because I'm beyond disgusted.
If Williams went by the numbers he would not have started Scherzer at all against San Francisco.

Career, he has made five starts against the Giants and is 1-4, 6.85. He's given up 34 base runners in 22 innings pitched, including five home runs.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:14 PM

Mets about to be swept by Bucs. Lead will be 4 pending Nats-SF game.

Now back to lightweight foes. If Bucs had a decent start, they would be in SL win % range.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
If Williams went by the numbers he would not have started Scherzer at all against San Francisco.

Career, he has made five starts against the Giants and is 1-4, 6.85. He's given up 34 base runners in 22 innings pitched, including five home runs.

In hindsight, he probably shouldn't have started him after all on Friday. We have 2 off days coming up here (this Monday & next Monday) I think we should either: A) skip Scherzer in the rotation, or B) give him a few extra days rest. He threw a lot of innings in the first half of the season and it's currently coming back to bite him now. I think he's scheduled to pitch Thursday in Denver which seems like an awful idea. They should either send Gio on Thursday (he'd be on regular rest since he pitched Saturday and only threw 2 2/3's so he's well rested!) or give someone like Taylor Hill/Taylor Jordan/tanner Roark/AJ Cole/Doug Fister a spot start on Thursday, leave Gio on Friday vs. Milwaukee, and have Scherzer start either Saturday or Sunday. At this point, this road trip is already a lost cause, so what's it matter if we send a rookie to start @ Coors??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or