U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2015, 04:03 PM

18,873 posts, read 7,339,586 times

Advertisements

Bumgarner homered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 09:59 PM

6,540 posts, read 4,490,735 times
Default 58-59

Nats 0 @ Giants 5.

Ouch! I don't know what else to say. Nats finished with a measley 3 hits on the day all 3 singles, and got outhit by the opposing pitcher as Madison Bumgarner went for 6 total bases with a double and a homer. Aside from his 3 RBI day, Bumgarner also had a complete game with 14 strikeouts. I remember earlier this year when the Nats pitching was that dominant, can we get back to that??

Off day Monday (I still believe some MAJOR changes need to take place on the off day: whether Williams gets fired, Rick Schu [hitting coach] gets fired, Steve McCatty [pitching coach] gets fired, Trea Turner gets a call up something needs to happen. This team CANNOT stay the course otherwise we can say so long to the Mets as they'll run away from us). Jordan Zimmermann starting for the Nats, David Hale for the Rockies. We get 3 crappy pitchers for the Rockies this week: Hale (5.69 ERA, 1.39 WHIP), Eddie Butler (5.90 ERA, 1.82 WHIP), and Yohan Flande (4.19 ERA, 1.27 WHIP). With the mediocre pitchers coming up for the Rockies, the mile high alttitude getting the bats on track, and 12 straight games against sub .500 teams (of course we're one now too ) can finally get this team on the role Nats fans have been waiting all season for. Of course I think Mike Rizzo is too loyal to pull the plug mid-season (even for Schu or McCatty) so we'll continue to trudge away in mediocrity, as we lose 2 of 3 to these crappy pitchers, go 4-5 on the 9 game homestand against Brewers, Padres & Marlins, get swept in St. Louis, and watch the Mets race out to a 10 game lead on September 1, and that'll be all she'll wrote Hopefully I'm wrong, but the only way I'm wrong is with a change in management/Turner call up. Light a fire under these asses! A 1-6 road trip is beyond embarrassing! That should be grounds enough for a major shakeup. Yah, we've gotten the short end of the stick facing Greinke, Kershaw & Bumgarner, but we also faced Ryan Vogelson, Matt Cain, and Jake Peavy, and outside of Harper & Espinosa looked uninterested, uninspired, and completely bored! With no change this team will continue to go through the motions, and really why should I care anymore?? I've already said on here that this team with Williams has no chance to win a World Series, so even if they get hot here, and get in, they won't do anything, then we'll be stuck with Williams for another season. Coming off a 3 single, shut out game which resulted in a 6 game losing streak, an off day, perfect time for a managerial shakeup. Save the season Rizzo. I still have confidence, but I only have confidence for the next 36 hours Rizzo, time to get to work and install Randy Knorr as interim manager and save the season.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:13 AM

Default 59-59

Nats 15 @ Rockies 6.

Well....THAT was a relief! More then half of the runs scored in the last 2 innings as they scored 4 each in the 8th and 9th to turn a close, competitive game, into a rout. Zimmermann wasn't good but Coors Field was enough to get him a win and back to .500. Mets won, so they remain 4.5 games back.

Tonight continues the series; Stephen Strasburg for the Nats vs. Jorge de la Rosa for the Rockies taking the spot of Eddie Butler who was option to the minors with his almost 6 ERA. De la Rosa was the starter for the Rockies in the first game of the season series @ Nats Park a couple weeks ago when a Carlos Gonzalez grand slam off of Storen snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. Game time at 8:40.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:38 PM

Default 60-59

Nats 4 @ Rockies 1.

Phew! Rockies got on the board in the first with an unearned run in the first on a wildpitch with 2 outs. Nats got the tying run on also on a wildpitch with the bases loaded with 2 outs in what ended up being a really weird play: Nic Hundley overthrew the pitcher covering the plate and DJ Lamahieu came over from second for the overthrow and got Escobar in a rundown around third. In the 8th, Ramos singled with 2 outs, Clint Robinson pinch hitting for Strasburg walked, and Werth had the game-winning triple. We added another in the 9th but I forgot how. Papelbon closed the Roxs out in the bottom half.

Thursday concludes the series with Max Scherzer taking the ball for the Nats, and he'll be opposed by Yohan Flande for the Rockies with the game time scheduled for 8:40 PM. Nats open up a 9 game home stand and a stretch where they'll play 16 of their next 19 at Nats Park with a 3 game set against the Brewers while the Rockies stay in Denver and entertain the New York Metropolitans for 3 games this weekend. Speaking of the Mets they lost on Wednesday and are off on Thursday so with a win the Nats will only be 3 back. Had you told me after the Dodgers series last Wednesday that'd we'd get swept in San Francisco but would end the trip with half a game gained (we were 3.5 back after the Wednesday loss in LA) I would've had you institutionalized at a mental asylum!

Old 08-20-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
. Had you told me after the Dodgers series last Wednesday that'd we'd get swept in San Francisco but would end the trip with half a game gained (we were 3.5 back after the Wednesday loss in LA) I would've had you institutionalized at a mental asylum!
Why? Mets had Pirates while you had SF. Even though Mets were home, Pittsburgh is a far better team than SF. I have little doubt they would win any other division.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Why? Mets had Pirates while you had SF. Even though Mets were home, Pittsburgh is a far better team than SF. I have little doubt they would win any other division.

I thought the Mets would've won at least 1 game against Pittsburgh. Did they really finish 0-13 against the Cubs & Pirates this year??

Old 08-20-2015, 11:27 PM

Default 60-60

Nats 2 @ Rockies 3.

Second straight 10 game road trip in the last 3 weeks we've finished 3-7, luckily we only have 15 more road games the rest of the season. Yohan Flande got the win, and also directly attributed to 2 of the Roxs 3 runs: he scored a run in the 5th and then recorded an RBI in the 6th on a little dribbler past the mound that he beat out for an infield hit which put the Roxs up 2-0. In the 7th, Michael Taylor hit the longest home run recorded this year at 493 feet to straight away center to tie the game at 2. In the bottom half, Roxs put the first 2 in, and Ben Paulsen had the game-winning single with a 1 out single up the middle. Neither team put up much a threat the rest of the way, however Nats had first & second with 2 outs in the 9th before Taylor struck out to end the game.

3 game series with the Brewers begin on Sunday. Really dumb and stupid scheduling by MLB having to play in Denver at 8:40 and then in Washington DC at 7:05 the next night. I rag on the West Coast teams going from east coast to west coast in a day, but at least those teams are traveling west and get back a couple hours. Denver is as far West as any team NOT in the pacific time zone and we are traveling east meaning we lose those hours that the West Coast teams get. Charlie Slowes was saying on radio that he didn't expect the team to land at Dulles until about 5:30. And we have to play 13.5 hours later????? MLB REALLY needs to bring up this issue at the next collective bargaining meetings and change something because this year it's more ridiculous then I remember. Home teams get the final say on what times games get played (unless it's a national broadcast) but the Rockies were home the past weekend while the Nats just came from San Francisco. IF the Rockies really wanted 3 night games for that series (and they almost ALWAYS play a day game on getaway day), why couldn't this series have gone Monday-Wednesday. The Brewers, the Nats opponent this weekend, not only had Thursday off, but they played Wednesday afternoon, meaning if they traveled right after Wednesday's game, they'd probably have gotten into Dulles around 9 or 10 PM Wednesday and had today completely off. Nats need all the wins they can get and are already hamstrung the first game due to the ridiculousness of the MLB schedule! Gio Gonzalez takes the ball for the Nats, he'll be opposed by Jimmy Nelson for the Brewers with a game time at 7:05.

Last edited by 7express; 08-21-2015 at 12:03 AM..

Old 08-21-2015, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I thought the Mets would've won at least 1 game against Pittsburgh. Did they really finish 0-13 against the Cubs & Pirates this year??
They did. The early year losses were not a big shock; they have had trouble vs them for years on road.
I suspect Wrigley bugs pitchers more than it helps NYM batters.

The only game I liked for NYM was Harvey, and once rain came, unexpected, I did not like it knowing Collins had spent the bullpen Saturday game.,

Old 08-21-2015, 02:33 PM

Trea Turner called up from AAA Syracuse. Not really sure what the point is. I have 0% confidence in Matt Williams to play every day, and if he's not going to play every day and is going to be Danny Espinosa 2.0 and sit and rot on the bench 6 out of 7 days a week, why bother??

Old 08-21-2015, 11:14 PM

Default 60-61

Brewers 10 @ Nats 3.

WOOF! It wasn't quite San Francisco bad, as I'll blame this catastrophe on getting back to Washington at about 5:15 in the morning, but that was pretty embarrassing. Yunel Escobar left the game in the top of the first chasing a foul ball, and Trea Turner made his major league debut getting subbed in on a double switch in the 5th or 6th inning. His first AB he hit a routine grounder to Segura at SS that beat him to the bag by an eyelash. I don't think he's going to hit for much power, but he's blazing fast, so maybe we'll actually have a speed element to our team we haven't had in 3 years. Forgot speed this year we need to start winning games consistently. Mets won, so their lead is 5.

Saturday's pitching matchup is Taylor Jungmann for the Brewers vs. Joe Ross for the Nats. I think back in Milwaukee in June Jungmann's first or second career start in the majors was that Scherzer game with the complete game 1 hitter with 16 K's. Jungmann's pitched really well since I think in his last 10 starts he hasn't given up more than 3 runs in any of them, so hopefully that's the jinx. Ross has failed to make it out of the 5th inning in each of his last 2 outings needs to ride out until the 6th to save the bullpen after they had to rescue Gio yesterday who completely sunk the team. Game time slated for 7:05 PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or