U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 11:06 PM

6,544 posts, read 4,493,891 times

Advertisements

Nats 5 @ Cardinals 8.

Ryan Zimmerman had an RBI double in the first and a 3 run homer in the 7th. In the bottom of the 7th, Cardinals sent 10 men to the plate and scored 5 runs....all 5 coming with 2 outs . A complete disaster for Casey Jannsen! Mets won so deficit is now 6.5. Only 2 teams have won divisions starting September 6.5 games or more back. Got a long road back, and gotta dig out of the hole you've dug but as long as they can win 1 of these next 2 I'll hold out hope. We get swept and the Mets sweep Philly I'll concede the division because as at that point (8.5) and even winning all 6 head to head meetings is hardly going to make a difference.

Tuesday is Joe Ross for the Nats vs. Marco Gonzales for the Cardinals. Was supposed to be Carlos Martinez, but looks like Matheny, in an effort to conserve his innings is skipping his start. This will be Gonzales season debut after dealing with injuries during spring training, then was optioned to AAA Memphis where he was 1-4 with a 5.20 era in 13 starts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 11:47 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,369,447 times
i knew this season would go down the S the minute madden signed with the cubs. I was HOPING, PRAYING to whatever diety one prays to, that he'd land in DC. Nope.

#firewilliams needs to be established now. I hope by 8am hes gone. I kind of hate to say it, but I told my friends I wouldn't follow the nats heavily until September because postseason is where they struggled. Apparently lost in august

im a nats and caps fan but eagles for football. im pretty much convinced Snyder has some sort of Duggar type of criminating intel on leonisis and ownership of the nationals. his desire? suck. don't win, but give just a tad of hope. not until the redskins win something.

ill see my birds win many superbowls before anything in DC does anything of importance.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
i knew this season would go down the S the minute madden signed with the cubs. I was HOPING, PRAYING to whatever diety one prays to, that he'd land in DC. Nope.

#firewilliams needs to be established now. I hope by 8am hes gone. I kind of hate to say it, but I told my friends I wouldn't follow the nats heavily until September because postseason is where they struggled. Apparently lost in august

im a nats and caps fan but eagles for football. im pretty much convinced Snyder has some sort of Duggar type of criminating intel on leonisis and ownership of the nationals. his desire? suck. don't win, but give just a tad of hope. not until the redskins win something.

ill see my birds win many superbowls before anything in DC does anything of importance.

I knew the season was in trouble when we lost opening day scoring 1 run against Bartolo Colon. Mike Rizzo, who I think is in a coma anyways, completely missed the boat on firing Williams; that ship was in port Monday, August 17. The Nats had an off day coming off a series where they got totally embarresed in San Francisco, still had about 50 games left, 4.5 back, still plenty of time to make a run with a new voice. Now's pointless.

BTW can someone check on Rizzo?? All these players passing through waivers unclaimed (Marlon Byrd, Addison Reed, Alejanda de Aza) that would help us, would cost peanuts for the rest of this season, yet Rizzo sits on his hands and does nothing like he fell off the face of the earth!

Old 09-01-2015, 10:46 PM

Default 66-65

Nats 5 @ Cardinals 8

Another Matt Williams special! Ross got knocked out in the 3rd inning getting spotted a 4-0 lead (probably because this is must win territory), Cards got 3 back in the bottom half to cut it to 4-3, Nats added an insurance run in the 7th for a 5-3 lead. Cards tied it in the 8th on only 1 hit because Escobar (who shouldn't even be playing third anyways) can't field a throw on the run from the pitcher. Even in a "must win game" which I assume it was since that's why Ross got taken out so early, Casey Jannsen inexplicably pitches the 9th, gets the first 2 outs, and like in the 7th inning yesterday when he gave up 5 runs all with 2 outs, he could not get the final 2 outs as he gives up a double, a walk (after being ahead 0-2 to boot ) and then a 3 run homer to Brendon Moss. No sense to pay much attention to this team anymore. Even IF they go on a miraculous run here, AND the Mets go on a ridiculous long losing streak, they probably aren't beating the Cubs and for sure aren't beating the Dodgers, Cardinals, or Pirates in the playoffs, so at this rate give Espinosa & Turner regular starts, shut Stras done, Ross has an innings limit shut him down after his next start @ Atlanta on Sunday. Bring Tanner Roark back up to fill his spot, give some starts to Taylor Hill/Taylor Jordan/AJ Cole. Bring up Wilmer Difo and play him a couple times a week. See what the kids can do, the vets aren't doing $#!t!

Wednesday concludes the series with the Cardinals. Max Scherzer for the Nats vs. Michael Wacha for the Nats. Game time 8 PM. Nats go back to DC to start a 4 game series with the Bravos beginning Thursday, Cards have Thursday off, and stay at home to open a 3 game set against the Pirates on Friday.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:58 PM

Default 67-65

Nats 4 @ Cardinals 3.

Normally I'd be incredibly happy to get 1 game from a team 40 games over .500, but this series was just so disappointing because we could've easily swept the series....but likewise could've easily been swept too as Papelbon put 2 of the first 3 Cardinals on base in the 9th but ended the game with the tying run on 3rd via a strikeout and a fly ball. Should've had all 3, but at least we got 1 but still at 6.5 back. 4 game series vs. the Braves who have won 19 games since Max Scherzer threw his no hitter on June 20. 6.5 back is still a lot, but with 30 games left and 31 days left there's still that glimmer of hope. Make up 2.5 games this weekend (Mets are off Thursday), and then win 2 of 3 in that Mets series and it's only a 3 game deficit with about 25 left to play. Mets play in Miami against the Marlins and I believe the Marlins will have both Giancarlo Stanton & Jose Fernandez returning for that game, so hopefully the Fish get a boost from them. As is sweeping the Braves is an absolute must. If the Marlins can sweep them in Atlanta, then the Nats should certainly be able to sweep them at home. This weekend is when we get the fire back and try to put some pressure on the Metropolitans.

Thursday's matchup is Matt Wisler for the Braves vs. Jordan Zimmermann for the Nats. Game time slated for 7:05 PM.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:12 PM

18,889 posts, read 7,346,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Nats 4 @ Cardinals 3.

Normally I'd be incredibly happy to get 1 game from a team 40 games over .500, but this series was just so disappointing because we could've easily swept the series....but likewise could've easily been swept too as Papelbon put 2 of the first 3 Cardinals on base in the 9th but ended the game with the tying run on 3rd via a strikeout and a fly ball. Should've had all 3, but at least we got 1 but still at 6.5 back. 4 game series vs. the Braves who have won 19 games since Max Scherzer threw his no hitter on June 20. 6.5 back is still a lot, but with 30 games left and 31 days left there's still that glimmer of hope. Make up 2.5 games this weekend (Mets are off Thursday), and then win 2 of 3 in that Mets series and it's only a 3 game deficit with about 25 left to play. Mets play in Miami against the Marlins and I believe the Marlins will have both Giancarlo Stanton & Jose Fernandez returning for that game, so hopefully the Fish get a boost from them. As is sweeping the Braves is an absolute must. If the Marlins can sweep them in Atlanta, then the Nats should certainly be able to sweep them at home. This weekend is when we get the fire back and try to put some pressure on the Metropolitans.

Thursday's matchup is Matt Wisler for the Braves vs. Jordan Zimmermann for the Nats. Game time slated for 7:05 PM.

ESPN MLB does not show a Fernandez start all week. Mets meanwhile have DeGrom & Matz back this weekend. Matz goes Sunday. Koehler has Marlins opener, followed by Hand. Stanton will boost their lineup, but in all likelihood, he'll be pitched carefully..sort of like Harper and Fish lineup is not deep.

That statistical graph has Nats playoff odds at just about 8% now. The one thing you have in your favor is 18 home games, but Mets just finished 8-1 road trip..against similar low win % teams. O/S of Nats & Yanks (9 games), the composite other Met opponents 2 days ago win % was .408.

I still agree with what I said earlier.you needed 6 wins in 9 games vs Cards and Mets. You went 1-2 vs Cards, so that would require 5-1 vs NYM.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:40 AM

I think we need to really go 6-0 in those 6 games. Anything less than 6-1 on this next homestand (4 vs. the Braves, 3 with the Mets) and you can turn out the lights.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:51 PM

Default 68-65

Braves 1 @ Nationals 15.

Didn't watch this, but sounds like I didn't miss much. Braves finished with only 2 hits. Not sure how long Zimmermann pitched. Carolina Knight will give a better recap on the Braves thread, I'd advise you to read that in the morning if you want a recap because I was working until 8 and then went out to dinner right afterwards.

Friday is game 2 of the 4 game series and will have Julio Teheran who has taken steps backwards this year for the Braves against Tanner Roark filling in for an injured Stephen Strasburg. Game time starts @ 7:05.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:53 PM

18,889 posts, read 7,346,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Braves 1 @ Nationals 15.

Didn't watch this, but sounds like I didn't miss much. Braves finished with only 2 hits. Not sure how long Zimmermann pitched. Carolina Knight will give a better recap on the Braves thread, I'd advise you to read that in the morning if you want a recap because I was working until 8 and then went out to dinner right afterwards.

Friday is game 2 of the 4 game series and will have Julio Teheran who has taken steps backwards this year for the Braves against Tanner Roark filling in for an injured Stephen Strasburg. Game time starts @ 7:05.

How long is Strasburg out?

Old 09-03-2015, 11:10 PM

Probably just this turn. He left his last start Sunday with "back tightness." However, if the team falls any further back between now and next Wednesday when his turn is in line to face the Mets, it'd probably be better off to shut him down for the year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or