U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 01:08 PM

19,986 posts, read 18,953,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Braves 1 @ Nationals 15.

Didn't watch this, but sounds like I didn't miss much. Braves finished with only 2 hits. Not sure how long Zimmermann pitched. Carolina Knight will give a better recap on the Braves thread, I'd advise you to read that in the morning if you want a recap because I was working until 8 and then went out to dinner right afterwards.

Friday is game 2 of the 4 game series and will have Julio Teheran who has taken steps backwards this year for the Braves against Tanner Roark filling in for an injured Stephen Strasburg. Game time starts @ 7:05.
The Nationals obliterated the Braves. The game was over by the second inning when Matt Wisler allowed seven runs by the second out and was pulled.

Nine games and counting, the Braves are dropping games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 09:35 PM

6,544 posts, read 4,495,395 times
Default 69-65

Braves 2 @ Nats 5 (10 innings).

Harper homered in the 1st, Braves got the run back in the 3rd. Score stayed tied until the 8th when the Braves got a Nick Swisher single that scored Freddie Freeman who lead off with a double. Escobar lead off with a double, Desmond sacrificed Turner (pinch running for Escobar) to 3rd, and after a Ramos strikeout, Matt den Dekker drove a base hit up the middle to tie the game. Michael A Taylor won the game with a pinch hit home run in the 10th. Mets lost in 11 innings, so lead now down to 5 games. So you're saying there's a chance?!?!

Saturday continues the 4 game series. Shelby Miller and his terrible luck with run support, bad defense, relievers that blow games when he leaves, you name it, it's happened to him take the ball for the Bravos who will be opposed by Gio Gonzalez for the Nats. Game time scheduled for 7:05 PM.

Last edited by 7express; 09-04-2015 at 09:48 PM..

Old 09-05-2015, 11:18 PM

Default 70-65

Braves 2 @ Nats 8.

Harper had his team-leading 33rd home run of the season which also turned out to be his 500th career hit for his career as well, and Gio had a no hitter going into the 5th inning. Only 4 of the Nats 8 runs scored on base hits as the other 4 scored on a: wild pitch, a fielders choice (2 runs) and a ground out.

Sunday concludes the 4 game series with the Braves looking for their first win at Nationals Park in 2015 as they come in 0-9. Manny Banuelos takes the ball for the Braves who will be opposed by Joe Ross for the home squad, with game time scheduled for 1:35 PM. Braves travel up 95 to take on the Phillies for 3 game beginning on Monday night while the Nats stay at home and host the NL East leading Mets for 3 beginning Monday as well. No matter whether we win & Mets lose, we lose & Mets win, we both lose, or both win I'm still sticking by my prediction that we have to go no worse then 6-1 on this current homestand to give ourselves a reasonable chance to catch the Mets. Halfway home to the magic number 6, but we probably have to sweep the Mets. If the Mets keep it at 5 Sunday, the absolute worst they can leave is 2 up, which wouldn't be great with where they would've been 8 days prior, but it's still a good cushion.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:12 AM

Default 71-65

Braves 4 @ Nats 8.

Matt Williams isn't messing around now. Pitched Papelbon for 2 innings yesterday, pitched him for the 9th today. Probably means he's unavailable for Monday, so let's just make it a non-save situation . 4 back as the Mets lose 2 of 3 to the Marlins. Harper hit another homer and Nats blew it open in the second when they knocked Banuelos out of the game.

Boom or bust series for the Mets starts today and I still say we need 2 wins. Even winning the series would get us to 3 back, but at least we'd have momentum and the all important "within 3 games" which is all we need heading into October 2 when we start the final series of the year @ Citi Field. Winning 1 would drop us to 5 back, which still within reason would be a buzzkill, and the Mets would stop the bleeding keep us at arms length. Get swept drops us to 7 back and you can officially turn off the lights, sweep them and all of a sudden it's a 1 game lead. Jonathan Niese for the Mets, Max Scherzer for the Nats. 1:05 first pitch. How is the Yankees/Orioles on ESPN and this game isn't??

Old 09-07-2015, 05:41 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,703,133 times
The Marlins will have the best record in the NL East in Sept/Oct. I wouldn't want to play them at this point.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
The Marlins will have the best record in the NL East in Sept/Oct. I wouldn't want to play them at this point.

Yup. We still play them 6 or 7 more times, I think the Mets only have them for 3 more (and it's at home). Will definitely be a spoiler for sure.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:28 PM

1,589 posts, read 934,722 times
Labor Day loss. Total disgrace.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:45 PM

18,889 posts, read 7,350,115 times
It was fitting though to see Labor Day Baseball in our nation's capital. Bad starting pitching from both sides.

Now it's back to the top of NYM rotation. Had the lead been smaller, I suspect Collins would have moved starters in prior series to skip Niese for Nats series.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:01 PM

Default 71-66

Mets 8 @ Nats 5.

Mets hit 3 home runs in the first 3 innings, Ramps followed with a grand slam in the 4th, and tacked on a 5th run to knock Jon Niese from the game after 3 1/3. Mets tied it with single runs in the 5th & 6th and won it with a 3 run 7th. Nats lost this game in the 5th when Williams sent Scherzer to the plate to bat for himself with 2nd & 3rd and 2 outs, with us up by 1. He had been getting rocked the entire afternoon and was probably gonna be out after the 6th anyways so why not try to add on a couple extra runs and try to coax the final 4 innings from the much maligned bullpen. Pretty much makes Tuesday & Wednesday games must win territory.

Tuesday's game is sucked in controversy Matt Harvey against Jordan Zimmermann. Game time at 7:05.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:43 PM

Default 71-67

Mets 8 @ Nats 7.

If you think the result's bad, take a look at how the game played out:
Bottom 1: 3 straight hits with 2 outs by Escobar, Clint Robinson (filling in for Zimmerman who got scratched with a strained oblique) and Desmond put the Nats up 2-0.
Top 2: David Wright home run to left to cut the deficit in half 2-1.
Bottom 2: Rendon single brings home Taylor, lead back to 2.
Bottom 6: With the bases loaded, Taylor hits a single to CF which scores Escobar. Ball takes a bad hop over Yoenis Cespedes' glove, the ball goes by him, Robinson & Desmond who were on second & first score along with Taylor who gets the little league grand slam; single & a 3 base error. Nats lead 7-1
Top 7: Wright singles to start the inning, but then Blake Treinen gets Lucas Duda to fly out to right and Travis d'Arnaud to pop up to SS. At this point, the Nats win probability is probably close to, if not above, 99%. I mean, your up 6 runs and only have to get 7 more outs, what could possibly go wrong???
Michael Conforto walks, Wright moves to second. Don't want to be walking people up 6 runs (especially with 2 outs, that's just calling for trouble) but still only need 1 out, we got this!
Wilmer Flores singles to center; Wright scores, Conforto to 3rd. No problem, still up 5 runs at 7-2, and win probability still at about 97% now, no need to worry!
Felipe Rivero takes over for Treinen and precedes to walk Juan Uribe on 5 pitches to load the bases. A little scary as now 1 swing makes this a 1 run game and this is ALL happening with 2 outs, but still we get 1 more out and still get out 5.
Curtis Granderson up next and Rivero also walks him on 5 pitches to force in Conforto. It's now 7-3 Nats, 1 swing ties the game, and that's the end of the night for Rivero as he faces 2 batters, walks them both throwing only 2 strikes in the process, win probability still probably in the 90's. In comes Drew Storen, sure he's been bad in August but he was lights out from April to July and we STILL only need 1 more out to minimize the damage.
Cespedes is next up and he goes from goat to hero in about 30 minutes as he clears the bases. Luckily the ball stayed in the ballpark for a double, so instead of a tie game, we are still up 1, win probability now probably down to about 60%.
Daniel Murphy walks
Wright gets his second AB of the inning and walks on 5 pitchers with the runners moving up on a wild pitch from the first ball.
Duda comes up next, walks on 4 pitches to walk in ANOTHER ^%$#ING RUN!! Win probability now at about 50% as the game is tied at 7.
After throwing 2 more balls to d'Arnaud the 3rd Met to bat twice in the inning, which at this point 13 of Storen's last 15 pitches have been out of the strike zone I make Storen throw 2 strikes before I take the bat off my shoulder, d'Arnaud swings and fouls one away, and then lines the next pitch to right so in actually Storen got incredibly lucky there not to give up more.
After 2 of 3 Nats strike out in the 8th against Addison Reed, the same guy who got demoted from closer in freaking Arizona, and who got back literally a bag of baseballs from the Mets for him because he was that bad, than Kirk Niewenhuis a guy cut from 2 MLB organizations this year alone hits the go ahead home run in the 8th, Mets lead 8-7. Nats win probability now down to about 20%.
Bottom 9: Werth singles to right. Too bad Trea Turner pinch hit in the 6th inning because this would be the perfect pinch runner in this scenario. After getting ahead 3-1 on Familia, with Harper, the favorite for NL MVP on deck Rendon bunts (skip down to the asterisk while I'll talk about this incredibly stupid decision), only problem is he bunts it too hard, right at Duda, and since we can't pinch run for Werth because we used that guy to pinch hit earlier, Duda is able to force Werth at second, so not only was it incredibly stupid, it didn't even work! Harper walks, and Escobar grounds into a game-ending, probably season-ending double play. Nats win probability 0%; Nats playoff probability probably about 6%.
Crunching some numbers: each team has 24 games left. The Nats have 7 left vs. the Marlins (playing well and will be facing Fernandez in 2 of those 7 games and probably Stanton for at least the second series [4 games] and maybe even the first series) while they have 6 vs. the Phillies (playing reasonably well), 3 vs. the Braves (absolutely terrible), 3 vs. the Orioles (bad but a rivalry), and 1 vs. Cincinnati. Mets meanwhile have only 3 games vs. the Phillies & Marlins, while they get a bad Reds team for 4 games, the Braves for 7, and the Yankees for 3. IF the Mets finish 10-14 the Nats have to finish 16-8 to force a tiebreaker, and really with what I've seen from them this year 16-8 seems like a miracle.
So, if the Mets finish even 12-12 (which they should do easily): Nats need to go 18-6 to tie them. If 16-8 was a miracle, 18-6 is almost impossible. However, you probably think they are better then 12-12, so let's put them at 15-9 for the final 24 games. Nats would have to go 21-3 to catch them. Yah, not happening. I hate to admit it, but the NL East race is OVAH as the Hawk would say. Those numbers right there was the reason the Nats HAD to win the series (gaining 1 game doesn't seem like much, but when you were 7.5 out a week prior, you take only being 3 back, likewise losing 1 game doesn't seem like a lot, but the way the Nats lost these last 2, especially tonight it's a season crippling loss). We'll see if these guys show up for pride or whether they mailed it in for the year.

Final game of the series is Jacob deGrom for the Mets vs. Stephen Strasburg for the Nats, game time scheduled for 7:05 PM. With Stras having his last start skipped due to injury, and the team going down the $#!tter for 2015, they should just shut him down, and avoid further injury risk, and put Roark in the rotation. Mets start a 4 game series in Atlanta Thursday against the hapless Braves, Nats have Thursday off, and start a 3 game series in Miami against the Marlins on Friday. At this point, I wish they would just take the rest of the season off.

*As for the ridiculous asinine Rendon bunt play: It may not seem like it's the case, I have defended Matt Williams in the past. When most Nats fan criticized him, and Dave Cameron of fangraphs lit him up with a blowtorch following game 4 of last years NLDS: http://http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/...bullpen-100814
I gave him the benefit of the doubt. He was a rookie manager after all, and the only way you can learn is by making mistakes, so hopefully he wouldn't make it again. It ended up being a catastrophic mistake, but he was a rookie, and even the games best managers: Tony LaRussa, Bruce Bochy, Joe Torre, none of them were perfect for 162 games every year, so he got a pass for year 1 on the job. As I've watched last season and now this season it's obvious he has no damn idea how to run a bullpen, but as long as he can do other things right I'll live with being completely incompetent with regards to bullpen management. Remember Joe Torre when he was with the Yankees was in love with using Paul Quantril & Scott Proctor every single, and outside of Marino (Rivera) I don't think he could run a bullpen that well either. The problems with Williams and why he needs to go is the fact he can't do anything well. He can't put a lineup together (last year with Harper batting 5th in the NLDS when he was the only person getting on base, now with Werth batting leadoff), can't motivate any of his guys, says the same $#!t day and after day in his postgame press conferences "oh it was a tough loss. I thought the team battled hard to the end, we have to get 'em tomorrow." I know these press conferences are mandatory but show some freaking emotion for Christ's sake! It's September 8 and you've just witnessed 2 awful collapses; 1 by your "ace" pitcher making $210 million and another by the bullpen we've tired of the "the team battled hard" bull$#!t. Take the fine, I'll pay it personally myself and I'm freaking broke if you keep repeating the same #$!t day after day after day.
As for the bunt play itself. Bar none, this will be the worst decisions by any team...in any game this year. First of all we have Werth, the statue standing on first base, and the perfect pinch runner for this scenario (Trea Turner) pinch hit in the 6th inning, so in order to actually get Werth to second base, the bunt has to be hit soft enough halfway up one of the lines (preferably 3rd base) but Familia throws too damn hard to get a soft bunt. That's mistake number 1. Mistake number 2 is still having him bunt on the 3-1 count. Mistake number 3 is the person bunting: Anthony Rendon. He hasn't shown it this year but he does have some power, and a lot of gap-to-gap power, so he could end the game in 1 swing, or even tie the game on 1 swing if it's hit slow enough and rolls to the right-center wall. Mistake number 4 and the biggest mistake of them all is the person behind Rendon, Harper. Let's say the bunt is actually successful and moves Werth to second. Not even Terry Collins is stupid enough to pitch to Harper with the tying run in scoring position (Matt Williams might be, but I've done enough Williams bashing for the year), so he either intentially walks Harper, or pitch carefully around him (which is exactly what happened anyways, even with first occupied), to bring up Escobar who is a GIDP machine if he hits a ground ball which is exactly what happened! EVERYONE on Twitter was screaming at Williams for the bunt, and also EVERYONE knew it was a terrible idea. For once you can't blame Williams for the bullpen loss, since everyone was a complete disaster, but the Rendon bunt play is mind-numbingly stupid & idiotic. Made no sense at the time, 4 hours later is still makes no sense, and if I look back at this 40 days later it will STILL make no sense. I'll give the relievers a pass because they are fungal from game-to-game and year-to-year but what makes a good manager great is they look 2 steps ahead. Is Bochy going to have Joe Panik bunt a runner over to second base when Buster Posey hits behind him??? Hell freaking no! And THAT'S the main problem with Williams is that he NEVER EVER thinks ahead about what could happen here if I do this, or if I don't do this do I have a greater chance to win.

Last edited by 7express; 09-09-2015 at 12:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or