U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 04:14 AM

18,890 posts, read 7,353,404 times

Advertisements

Bunt was dumb, but if it works, Mets pitch to Harper. Like Williams, Collins is conventional..you do not put winning run on. Now Harper would get lousy pitches, and he'd need to not chase.

On 9/8, these 2 managers played the game 100% conventional. Nats went to closing duo;Nats went for tying bunt. My hunch is Reed had a short leash, and Clippard would be in before 7th ended if required.

I'm not a fan of by the book, but playing for tie is just that..by the book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 02:55 PM

6,546 posts, read 4,496,603 times
Whether it works or not it was still incredibly stupid. On April 8, absolutely you play for the tie, because chances are Terry Collins will let the pitcher pitch to Harper....probably carefully, but he'd let him pitch. On September 8, Collins is going to walk Harper, which as I said they did anyways, so they were in the same spot regardless of whether the bunt was successful or not (runners on 1st & second with 1 out).

Old 09-09-2015, 05:19 PM

Why walk Harper who was 0-6 vs Familia with 6 ks?

Old 09-09-2015, 08:32 PM

Strasburg tonight pitched a terrific game. Best I have seen him in a long time vs a terrific, deep lineup.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Strasburg tonight pitched a terrific game. Best I have seen him in a long time vs a terrific, deep lineup.

Yah but they still lost, so who really cares how great he pitched??

Old 09-09-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Yah but they still lost, so who really cares how great he pitched??
You should, as he needs to be your 2016 ... ace. The movement he had tonight was superb.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:56 PM

I was actually out tonight, so didn't see the game. He's been great ever since he got off his recent DL stint back in August. Too bad he can't pitch all 9 innings though

Old 09-10-2015, 12:51 AM

Default 71-68

Mets 5 @ Nats 3.

Wanted 3, needed to get 2, after the disaster Tuesday would've been happy to just get 1, ended up with 0. The wake & funeral services for the 2015 Nationals will be this weekend @ Nats park. I know baseball prospectus or fan graph's still gives them about a 5% chance or so of overcoming the Mets but they have a 0% chance now, the season is over. Now it's REALLY time to put the kids in: put A.J. Cole in some relief appearances, start Turner regularly why is he still NOT starting?? Both deGrom & Strasburg were terrific; combined for 14 1/3 innings, 10 hits, 5 runs, 3 walks and 22 strikeouts (13 from Strasburg), unfortunately the Nats got to deGrom early and couldn't get to him late which allowed the Mets to hang around and win it off of Storen who's confidence is completely shot! He should be the new mop up man for the rest of the season, I don't want him anywhere near a game that's 5 runs or less.
Harper homered in the first for a 1-0 Nats game, Travis d'Arnaud tied it in the 2nd, Clint Robinson put the Nats back on top with a single in the 2nd, and stayed 2-1 until the 8th when Kelly Johnson tied it at 2 with a pinch hit homer, and after an out Granderson singled and that's when Matt Williams pulled the "WTF are you doing" moment of the game when he called in Drew Storen to face Cespedes....the same guy who gave up a rocket bases clearing double 24 hours earlier, and then afterwards couldn't find the strike zone with a map & GPS, and once again Cespedes made them pay, this time taking the ball out of the ballpark for a 2 run homer into the Mets bullpen. On the replay of the home run, you can see a Mets reliever in the bullpen waving a white towel as the ball was heading over the fence, are we sure that reliever wasn;t waiving the white flag on the 2015 Nats season?? Harper homered off of Clippard in the bottom half to make a 4-3 game but Papelbon gave up a double and single in the 9th to stretch the lead to 5-3, but not that Jeurys Familia needed the extra run as he sat the Nats down in order 1-2-3 and in all likelihood the Nats season. Strasburg & Harper (3-4, 2 home runs, 3 runs scored) were the only 2 that showed up in this must win game.

And 1 last thing, take a look at Jonathan Papelbon's last 4 seasons:
2011: Is the closer of the Red Sox who was apart of one of the biggest collapses in baseball history, were 9.5 games up on September 1, they failed to make the playoffs. And also that year the season ended in September too like the 28 or 29 if I'm not mistaken, so they didn't have the extra 4 or 5 regular season games in October like 2015 does (2015 season ends October 4).
2012-July 2015: In 2012 he goes to the Phillies who try to have 1 last run in them with the aging stars (Utley, Rollins, Howard, Halladay, Lee, Ruiz) in steep decline. The team is too old & fragile finishing in 4th or 5th place where they had residence for the other 3 seasons.
July 2015-present: Gets traded to the Nats who were in first place 3 games ahead of the Mets at the time. Looks to actually be on a playoff team for the first time in 5 seasons, and since he got traded to Washington, the Nationals have completely sunk, I STILL don't like the trade, and not even Papelbon is immune to the stink as he gave up the pinch hit-game winning home run the other night to Niewenhuis, the extra run tonight, and seems like in most games he's appeared has given up runs. If this is karma for him being a complete douche bag.....well.....it really couldn't have happened to a better guy! he may pitch for my team but I certainly don't like him, and I like him even less when he's giving up pinch hit game losing, season losing home runs to some 6th string outfielder!

Old 09-10-2015, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Nationals improve their rotation depth, pry Phillies closer Jonathan Papelbon from the Phillies. This likely removes Storen from the 9th to now pitch the 8th. I really don't like it; sure it helps the bullpen, the team's biggest need, but this guy has an ego the size of Russia, is only concerned about finishing games and picking up his options and is at the wheel of an 18 wheeler, speeding down the highway at 80 mph and will run over anything and everything in his way. God forbid Desmond makes an error which leads to a Papelbon blown save, the Nats clubhouse will look worse then Chernobyl!

That's why I wanted Chapman or Kimbrel IF we were going to trade for relief help. They are team players, they'd probably be more willing to pitch the 8th inning if it meant winning, they aren't going to run over Desmond for making an error, Harper for running into a wall, Zimmerman for popping up to first with the bases loaded, Werth missing a ball because he's too slow.

Quote:
Also, one last thing that HASN'T been noted yet: If Papelbon does indeed turn into Rafael Soriano 2.0 (and he's due for a couple blown saves too) then this team is really ****ed. If Papelbon fails like Soriano did in 2014, they really have no fall back guy because they blew it. You trade for Papelbon, but Papelbon keeps quiet and accepts his role in the 8th?? You can fall back on Papelbon later on. Trade for Kimbrel, and pitch him the 8th?? if Storen regresses in the second half, you can just swap Kimbrel & Storen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Still better than Storen.

These 3 posts from July sum up the last 40 Nats games perfectly. Sure Papelbon hasn't "blown any saves" yet.....mainly because the team has fallen off the deep end and haven't had many save situations to begin with, but that second post is spot on. Papelbon has been hit, Storen has been a complete disaster and what can the Nats do?? Absolutely NOTHING!! Now that I look back on it, I don't think Kimbrel or Chapman would've helped much anyways, but at least I think they'd be more willing to pitch the 8th inning if it meant going to a contending team than if Storen is still bad AFTER the trade you swap Storen for the proven commodity who was willing to accept an 8th inning role. Papelbon and his Russia sized ego had no intention of going to the 8th inning to start, and the worst has happened Storen has crumbled and their stuck with no place to go until the offseason with Storen. What a complete disaster the last 6 weeks have been, and I blame it ALL on the still stupid, still worthless, accomplished ABSOLUTELY NOTHING Papelbum trade!

Old 09-10-2015, 03:57 AM

Not a Papelbon fan, but once Mets made Cespedes deal, promoted Conforto, and D'Arnaud and Wright came back, the last 5.5 weeks were inevitable. Their lineup went from shallow to ultra deep. Add in No Span made a just acceptable Nats lineup quite weak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or