U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 06:18 AM

6,541 posts, read 4,490,735 times

Advertisements

Friday starts a 3 game series with the Marlins. Gio Gonzalez takes the ball for the Nats, while Jarrod Cozart will pitch for the Marlins. Game time slated for 7:10 PM. I'll probably be following the Jays more closely for the end of the season, so the recaps could be brief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 07:52 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,969,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
These 3 posts from July sum up the last 40 Nats games perfectly. Sure Papelbon hasn't "blown any saves" yet.....mainly because the team has fallen off the deep end and haven't had many save situations to begin with, but that second post is spot on. Papelbon has been hit, Storen has been a complete disaster and what can the Nats do?? Absolutely NOTHING!! Now that I look back on it, I don't think Kimbrel or Chapman would've helped much anyways, but at least I think they'd be more willing to pitch the 8th inning if it meant going to a contending team than if Storen is still bad AFTER the trade you swap Storen for the proven commodity who was willing to accept an 8th inning role. Papelbon and his Russia sized ego had no intention of going to the 8th inning to start, and the worst has happened Storen has crumbled and their stuck with no place to go until the offseason with Storen. What a complete disaster the last 6 weeks have been, and I blame it ALL on the still stupid, still worthless, accomplished ABSOLUTELY NOTHING Papelbum trade!
Can't believe how many Nats fans site the Papelbon move as the biggest reason for the Nat's post all-star game mediocrity. I guess Drew Storen is just seriously popular. But I'm not sure any Nat has been worse lately than Storen, so I see the Nats as being smart, getting another late reliever because their old one can't get outs anymore.

And Max Sherzer, the $100M+ dollar man has been mediocre at best the last 2 months. Hopefully he'll sort it out and become the stud he can be (next year and beyond) but imagine if he doesn't?

Unfortunately it appears 2015 will strictly be the year of Bryce Harper (a sober Micky Mantle), and to a far lesser extent, the emergence of Michael A. Taylor. A few too many injuries sure (Rendon, Span, Worth, Zimmerman) but the coaching staff would appear to need upgrading.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:58 PM

Default 71-69

Nats 1 @ Marlins 2.

12 hits combined in this game, 3 runs. None of the 12 hits scored any runs, as all 3 scored on outs. Marlins got the scoring started in the 2nd with a ground out that drove in a run, Wilson Ramos tied the game in the 6th with a sac fly, and the Marlins got run number 2 with a sac fly in the 7th. I LOVE the fact that Trea Turner continues to rot sitting on the bench. He's been up for 3 freaking weeks! and I believe has made 1 start and has about 15 pinch hitting opportunities. Matt Williams sits Turner for whatever reason (what the hell is waiting for?? Until the team is officially eliminated??) yet continues to trot Casey Jannsen out there to lose ball games . I shouldn't even be mad as I waved the white flag on the season when Matt Williams took out Strasburg for Storen to face Cespedes on Wednesday, but EVERY.SINGLE.MOVE this guy makes turns to $#!t. Start the kid for Christ's sake!!!!!!!!!!!! If he goes 0-15 for a 4 game stretch with 13 strikeouts it looks like he'll need to start in AAA but give the kid regular AB's to see whether he can be the future at SS. Geez guys the season is OVAH as the Hawk would say, let the kids pitch & the kids play, what do we have to lose?? This season is going to be a disappointment anyways, does it really matter if we finish 80-82 or 89-73??

Saturday's matchup is Tanner Roark, taking Joe Ross' spot for the rest of the season against Jose Fernandez making his return from a biceps injury. That should be fun! Game time slated for 7:10 I think. I'll be watching football tomorrow, but I'll try to have a recap on Saturday night. Nats now have a tragic number of 14 for the division after the Mets beat up the Braves, and a tragic number of 12 for the Wildcard as the Cubs swept a double header in Philly. I think we have officially passed Philly in 07 territory.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:37 PM

Baseball prospective now gives the Nats a less than 1% chance of making the playoffs. Can someone tell Rizzo & Williams that the season is over and to start playing Trea Turner regularly! I still have no idea why he's up if he's not going to get a start. Send him home for a couple weeks, and send him to the AZ fall league if he's going to rot on the Nats bench. Sure he'll be a big fish in a small pond there against Rookie level & single A players, but at least he'd be starting every day. He's been up since August 22 (22 days ago) and has gotten 1 start and 11 AB's in the 22 days he's been up. ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS handling of the kid. For comparison's sake Trayce Thompson got called up by the White Sox on August 1, and in the 22 days after his callup he started 5 games and had 19 at bat's.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:14 PM

Default 71-70

Nats 0 @ Marlins 2.

Didn't see much, or really any of this, so can't comment that much on it. Fernandez was out after 5 innings but only gave up 2 hits, while Roark went 4 2/3's I think giving up 2 runs. Mets won again, so the lead is now 9.5. They've lost 5.5 games in a span of 6 days, now there's really no need to pay attention. From this point on, I just want them to be competitive for the final 21 games and hope they don't mail it in. Sweep a couple series, go on a 7 8 game winning streak, make the Mets sweat a little (with the kids playing). Tragic number for the division is down 12, Wildcard is 11 after the Phillies walked off the Cubs with a homer in the 9th.

Sunday concludes the 3 game series, and we'll have Max Scherzer starting for the Nats against Brad Hand for the Marlins, game time slated for 1:10. Marlins are off to Queens to start a 3 game series with the Mets, as the US Open is concluding on Sunday so the Mets can finally go home, Nats will be in Philadelphia to begin a 3 game series with the Phillies which also begins on Monday.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:52 PM

Default 72-70

Nats 5 @ Marlins 0.

Scherzer had his best start since July 30 as he pitched 8 innings allowing only 5 hits with 6 strikeouts.

3 game series in Philadelphia starts on Monday. Jordan Zimmermann takes the ball for the Nats, he'll be opposed by rookie Aaron Nola for the Phillies.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:25 PM

Default 73-70

Nats 8 @ Phillies 7 (11 innings).

Werth hit 2 home runs including a grand slam, Harper had his 37th home run of the season, and Papelbum had his first blown save of the season, and Fister recorded his first major league save pitching the 11th. Mets win, so they have a magic number of 10 and remain 9.5 games up.

Tuesday's matchup has Stephen Strasburg of the Nats taking on David Buchanon for the Phillies. Game time slated for 7:05 PM.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:04 PM

Default 74-70

Nats 4 @ Phillies 0.

Harper had 2 home runs and drove in all 4 runs, while Strasburg matched his career high with 14 strikeouts. He's been excellent since he's come off the DL.

3 game series with the Phillies concludes Wednesday. Gio Gonzalez takes the ball for the Nats, and he'll be opposed by Adam Morgan for the Phillies; game time at 7:05. Nats go home to start their final home stand of the season a season long 11 games and likely their final 11 games @ Nats Park this year, as they start a 4 game set with the Marlins on Thursday, while the Phillies have Thursday off, and will start their last road trip of the season a 9 game trip starting in Atlanta on Friday night. The Phillies will also play in Miami, and will play their last 3 road games of the season @ Nats Park September 25-27.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:21 PM

Default 75-70

Nats 12 @ Phillies 2.

Harper became the first player since Alex Rodriguez in 1998 to hit 40 home runs in a season they were 22 or younger, and only the 7th player overall, and Jayson Werth had 2 home runs. Mets lost to the Marlins again, so it's now 7.5, still need a miracle, which involves us sweeping the Marlins, and the Yankees sweeping the Mets.

Thursday begins a 4 game series with the Marlins. Jarred Cosart takes the ball for the Marlins who will be opposed by Tanner Roark for the Nats. Game time slated for 7:05 PM.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:38 PM

Default 75-71

Marlins 6 @ Nats 4.

Deficit back to 8 as the Nats lose the half game. Martin Prado hit a 2 run homer in the 1st, Ian Desmond tied the score with a 2 run homer in the second, Marlins got 4 runs in the 4th or 5th (I had relatives in from Arizona, so I was out to dinner with them at the time), so I forgot what inning it actually was. Nats got 2 back in the 8th and had the bases loaded in the 8th but Marlins closer AJ Ramos struck Taylor out on 3 straight pitches. I'm actually heading down to Washington this weekend, hopefully going to the games Friday, Saturday & Sunday, so I'll do a weekend recap if nobody gets to it first.

Friday's scheduled matchup is Jose Fernandez for the Marlins vs. Max Scherzer for the Nats with a 7:05 start time.
Saturday has Justin Nicolino of the Marlins taking on Jordan Zimmermann for the Nats with a 4:05 start time.
Sunday I has Brad Hand for the Marlins taking on Stephen Strasburg for the Nats. After this series Marlins go home to begin their season ending 6 game home stand: 3 vs. the Phillies starting on Tuesday, and then 3 vs. Atlanta next weekend; Nats stay at home for the second installment of the Beltway battle as the Orioles will be @ Nats Park Monday to Wednesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or