U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2015, 10:28 PM

6,547 posts, read 4,497,941 times

Advertisements

Phillies 8 @ Nats 2.

Hey, remember in late May and late June where they rattled off 2 stretches of about 17 games, winning 12 or 13 of those 17 in each stretch?? Can we go back there?? At this rate I'm not even sure they'll finish above .500. If the last 4 games is any indication, the team has already mailed it in for the year anyways, this team looks like the 2014 Braves who were in first till about the first week of August, got caught by the Nats, and then completely imploded the rest of the season finishing under .500, Nats are still on that trajectory.

As for the game, woof! Nats got on the board first in the first when Werth singled in Rendon. Phillies took the lead for good in the 3rd: A walk, single, and a fielders choice loaded the bases, and with 1 out Aaron Altherr hit a line drive to center. Whether Taylor catches it on a dive or whether he catches it on the bounce only 1 run is scoring, but Taylor goes for the dive, he completely whiffs on it, ball goes by him, the bases get cleared, and Altherr gets around for the inside the park grand slam, the first inside the park grand slam since 1999!! Altherr would also add a conventional solo home run along with Cody Asche for a total of 3 home runs Zimmermann allowed in his final home start. Matt Williams replaced Zimmermann with a pinch hitter in the bottom of the 5th, so he didn't even go out to an ovation either. Mets crushed the Reds, so tragic number is 1. Now it's REALLY time to get the kids some starts, because the veterans have mailed it in for the year, let the kids play!!!!

Saturday is Aaron Nola for the Phillies vs. Stephen Strasburg for the Phillies, game time slated for 4:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 04:46 PM

18,891 posts, read 7,356,703 times
Lets go Nats! I want my Mets to win the clincher first.If Nats go at least 11 innings..it will not matter. But I do not want a 10 inning Phils win today.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:16 PM

Default 79-75

Phillies 1 @ Nats 2 (12 innings)

Welp, it's over :c rying:. The Mets 10-2 win at Cincinnati has officially eliminated us from post season contention. Even writing that 5.5 hours later still sucks, but from July 31 on, the Mets were just the better team, and kicked our ass on the field, so they definitely earned it, no hard feelings here. Congrats, and good luck against Greinke, Kershaw, and the Dodgers in the playoffs .

As for the game here: sloppy game in late September between two eliminated teams that nobody really wanted to win. The Nats loaded the bases in the 4th against Aaron Nola and came away with 0 runs (story of the season this year!) while Strasburg retired the first 12 Phillies he faced, and thanks to a double play on the lone hit he went 21 up, and 21 down. Nats got the scoring started in the 6th: a Harper walk and 2 Adam Loewen wild pitches moved him to 3rd, and he scored on a ground out by Desmond. Phillies tied it in the 8th on a single, sacrifice bunt and a double, but left runners on 2nd and 3rd to end the inning. Harper had a 1 out double in the Nats 8th, and Cameron Rupp had a 2 out single in the Phillies 12 to get Gregor Blanco to 2nd, but that was the extend of the runners in scoring position until the Nats half of the 12 when Rendon had a 1 out single, Escobar walked, and after Darin Ruf dropped what would have been the second out of the inning on a foul pop up, Harper lined the next pitcher into the right field corner scoring Rendon for the winning run. Strasburg pitched 8 innings with 13 strikeouts, 1 walk, and 3 hits allowed, the 4th straight game he's had 10 or more strikeouts, definitely something to look forward to in 2016!

Finale of the series and season series goes tomorrow afternoon: Aaron Harang takes the ball for the Phillies who will be opposed by Gio Gonzalez for the Nats for a 1:35 PM start time. I take the scheduled starters off the MLB schedule page on ESPN.com, and with the team eliminated it remains to be seen whether the Taylors (Taylor Hill, & Taylor Jordan), and A.J. Cole get some starts here in the next week. If it turns out Gio doesn't start this game I'll mention it tomorrow. Phillies have Monday off before wrapping up the final week of the season at home, beginning with the Mets on Tuesday, and finishing with the Marlins. The Nats have that makeup game with Cincinnati on Monday afternoon, before closing the book on 2015 with 2 straight road series in Atlanta & the Mets.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post

Strasburg pitched 8 innings with 13 strikeouts, 1 walk, and 3 hits allowed, the 4th straight game he's had 10 or more strikeouts, definitely something to look forward to in 2016!

he appears to be back in form.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:05 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,243,736 times
The Nats really screwed themselves this year! I can forgive Matt Williams for his dumb decison last year to take out J. Zimmerman. But, the trades and signings were really a killer for the Nats. Here are some examples
1. They let Tyler Clippard go: The theory was that the Nats had a solid bullpen, and they could spend money elesewhere. The problem here is twofold... (1. You can never have enough pitching. Clippard had been their best and most reliable relief pitcher, and he wasn't asking for that much to stay. He had been a proven setup man and closer. (2. his dumb offseason move led to the even dumber papelbon deal
2. There's a reason why papelbon is hated among many in baseball. Look, he is past his prime! His baseball skills are not that great anymore. Even George Steinbrenner would have passed on this guy!

The Papelbon deal may turn out to be the worst decision among many in the past few years. The full effect won't be known for awhile, but it has already affected Drew Storen and Bryce Harper. Don't believe me? Take a look at Storen's stats since Papelbon arrived... it's not a coincidence. How does this effect Harper? Well, Harper and Papelbon just had a fight in the dugout. I wonder how many Nats fans and players were hoping that Harper would give him a knuckle sandwich? I'm disgusted by this years team! They deserve to lose fans in 2016! It's time to throw them out along with POTUS and most of congress!!!

Old 09-27-2015, 04:27 PM

I wish Harper had smashed his head in with a bat or the garbage bin, or a chair or something. NO matter what his fine would've been, ALL Nats fans love Harper, and complete hate Papelbum that we all would've covered some part of Harpers fine in that case.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:31 PM

And LOL at Matt Williams in his press conference:

Reporters question: "why did you let Papelbon go out and pitch the 9th."
Matt Williams: "He's our closer." (at that point the score was 4-4, so you don't "need the closer.")
And Matt Williams asked about fines: "It's a family matter, and we'll discuss that internally."

If anyone wants to know why Williams needs to be fired only needs to look at those 2 quotes.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:17 PM

Default 79-76

Phillies 12 @ Nats 5.

Congrats, we have officially hit rock bottom! Way to go guys!!! Desmond & den Dekker, hit back to back home runs on back to back pitches in the 2nd and they both finished 6-6. Gio was good early, but in true Gio fashion he unraveled late, tying the game walking 2 straight batters with the bases loaded. We got 2 back in the 7th on a Jose Lobaton double and a Dan Uggla sac fly. Casey Jannsen comes in the 8th, ties the game back up with a 2 run homer to Jeff Franceur (serious, why does Jannsen continue to pitch??), and after putting another couple runners on, Jonathan "clubhouse cancer, team killer" Papelbum comes in to finish the 8th. Harper flies to LF in the 8th and on the way back to the dugout Papelbum starts chirping, Harper says some words back probably something to the effect of "I'm carrying this team on my back. Maybe if you pitched better we wouldn't be eliminated" and Papelbon lunges at Harper, puts his hands around Harper's neck and shoves him into the wall behind the benches, and even after all that Papelbum goes out to pitch the 9th inning. For that, Matt Williams needs his pink slip now....not next Monday, not in December, not after 2016 NOW! You don't send someone back out on the mound AFTER they choked ANY player! You send him to clubhouse and tell him "you have 10 minutes to clear your $#!t out because you're going home for the season." In a weekend that was going to be emotionally with Zimmermann's last start Friday, Desmond getting replaced by Turner at the beginning of the 9th today, and probably getting tomorrow off, and Harper scheduled to have the day off, what should've been a joyous occasion to celebrate Desmond's career, and Harper's MVP season (Desmond's 1 homer away from a 20 homer season, by the way) was overshowded by a complete maniac who NEVER should have even been on this team in the first place and who should be banished from the team the rest of the year!

Monday is the makeup game from a July 8 rainout against Cincinnati (seriously, why are they playing this game??) Brandon Finnegan starts for the Reds, Max Scherzer gets the start in the home finale of Nats Park. And IF Williams is still managing and IF Papelbum is still on the roster I actually hope they play in front of an empty stadium tomorrow. With the 3:05 start and the makeup date I doubt there will be many people there anyways.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:42 PM

Pap properly ended up more punished. What could have been more deserved then to see him implode and booed off his home field!

As I said elsewhere, I'd waive him..simply for the embarrassment factor involved.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Pap properly ended up more punished. What could have been more deserved then to see him implode and booed off his home field!

As I said elsewhere, I'd waive him..simply for the embarrassment factor involved.
Both Papelbon and Williams had their 2016 options picked up: Pap when the trade was finalized, Williams back in Spring Training but neither can show up to Spring Training in 2016 at Nats camp. It's a lot of dead money to eat, but if you don't want to become a running joke, you have to eat the dead money and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or