U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 04:07 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,243,332 times

Advertisements

Why did the Nats even sign papelbon? Was it Williams decision? Do they think that Papelbon is better than Storen? These are baseball questions... IF the Nats think that Papelbon and Storen are equal then it is still a bad deal. Papelbon is older and a known troublemaker. I was upset as soon as I found out that we got Papelbon before the all star break. If the Nats had made the playoffs I might have found myself rooting against them just because Papelbon doesn't deserve it. As it worked out, the Nats got their due punishment immediately by losing many games and missing the playoffs. Fittingly, the fight with Harper puts the spotlight back on Papelbon as a liability.... now... to be fair, Papelbon did not pitch that bad with that Nats. I put more blame with the GM and Mgr Matt Williams for making the trade to get Papelbon and send Drew Storen into a downward spiral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 06:20 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,788,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Why did the Nats even sign papelbon? Was it Williams decision? Do they think that Papelbon is better than Storen? These are baseball questions... IF the Nats think that Papelbon and Storen are equal then it is still a bad deal. Papelbon is older and a known troublemaker. I was upset as soon as I found out that we got Papelbon before the all star break. If the Nats had made the playoffs I might have found myself rooting against them just because Papelbon doesn't deserve it. As it worked out, the Nats got their due punishment immediately by losing many games and missing the playoffs. Fittingly, the fight with Harper puts the spotlight back on Papelbon as a liability.... now... to be fair, Papelbon did not pitch that bad with that Nats. I put more blame with the GM and Mgr Matt Williams for making the trade to get Papelbon and send Drew Storen into a downward spiral.
Johnathan Pap Smear is toxic. Notice how our bad luck happened when he joined the team.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:52 PM

18,891 posts, read 7,353,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Johnathan Pap Smear is toxic. Notice how our bad luck happened when he joined the team.
Nats were 54-47 after 7/31..a 87 win pace..which would not have been good enough to play after 10-4-15.

I expected you to go for Zobrist, although I doubt that would have been enough. Anything bigger in a deal would have required killer kids being bait-did Nats have a Fulmer to spare?

Old 09-28-2015, 11:18 PM

6,547 posts, read 4,496,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Nats were 54-47 after 7/31..a 87 win pace..which would not have been good enough to play after 10-4-15.

I expected you to go for Zobrist, although I doubt that would have been enough. Anything bigger in a deal would have required killer kids being bait-did Nats have a Fulmer to spare?

They had some fringe guys, but I would think Taylor would've been the center of a major return (CarGo, Kimbrel, Chapman). In hindsight I'm kinda glad we kept him, in a couple years we're gonna have some REALLY old guys (Werth, Ryan Zimmerman, Scherzer) and unless the DH gets adopted in the NL before 2017, 2017 is probably gonna be a pretty terrible year in the OF for Werth, so it'll be nice to have 2 speed demons in the OF with him so we can just make a square for Werth in mid LF on the line: Extend the box out 10 feet to his left, 10 feet in front, and 10 feet behind him. He's not allowed to leave the box as Taylor can play Left-center field, and Harper can cover right center.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:53 AM

Default 80-76

Reds 1 @ Nats 5.

Well, after the national embarrassment that transpired the last 24 hours or so, it was nice to give the fans in DC something to cheer about. Scherzer, took a no hitter into the 8th inning, and den Dekker had another great game to end the year at home on a positive note. In even more positive news Papelbum has been suspended the final 7 games (3 by MLB, the final 4 by the team) and I'll rejoice through the streets of Connecticut when we actually release the bum! Reds go home to play 3 with the Cubs, Nats head to Atlanta for 3.

3 game series in Atlanta begins Tuesday. Tanner Roark for the Nats vs. Matt Wisler for the Braves, game time 7:10.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:57 AM

18,891 posts, read 7,353,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
They had some fringe guys, but I would think Taylor would've been the center of a major return (CarGo, Kimbrel, Chapman). In hindsight I'm kinda glad we kept him, in a couple years we're gonna have some REALLY old guys (Werth, Ryan Zimmerman, Scherzer) and unless the DH gets adopted in the NL before 2017, 2017 is probably gonna be a pretty terrible year in the OF for Werth, so it'll be nice to have 2 speed demons in the OF with him so we can just make a square for Werth in mid LF on the line: Extend the box out 10 feet to his left, 10 feet in front, and 10 feet behind him. He's not allowed to leave the box as Taylor can play Left-center field, and Harper can cover right center.
Had you kept Clippard, you would not have needed a reliever, but even then you would have faced the large starter performance gap vs NY; I posted a link showing it at .34 ERA per gap over 150 games, with NYM starters going 50 more innings..absorbing the need for at least one reliever.

O/S of Scherzer and Zimmerman usually, your starters were not reliable..Stras left hurt or early often, Gio often imploded, and Roark/Fister whoever..yuk. Too much pressure on the pen, while NYM original '15 Big 3 went deep more often than not. Now the Big 4 going forward.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 09-29-2015 at 03:06 AM..

Old 09-29-2015, 02:41 PM

At least with Clippard we got Yunel Escobar, who's been the second best hitter on the team this year. However, you are 100% right in that we should've traded for him instead of Papelbum!

Old 09-30-2015, 12:51 AM

Default 80-77

Nats 1 @ Braves 2.

Trea Turner has his first major league homer in the 6th, while A.J. Pierzienski had the Braves 2 home runs, both on solo shots: 1 in the 4th, the other in the 7th. Aroyds Vizcaino put the first 2 on board in the 9th, but due to Desmond bunting into a double play (wrong on so many levels), he was able to escape to the jam and pick up the save. Matt Wisler had his second straight pretty good outing, nice for the Braves to look forward too going into 2016.

As for the bunt:
1) The guy bunting has 19 home runs and 62 RBI's, has 29 sacrifices in his 6 year career, and only 8 since 2011
2) Your on the road, you play for the win, and the bunt plays for the tie
3) It's September 29, and your eliminated. Nobody wants to play extra innings now
4) As the botched bunt last week vs. the Orioles showed (when we lead off with a double, and that runner got erased on the bunt), having a guy on second with 0 outs is infinitely better, and you have more chances to score runs then having a guy on 1st with 1 out, guys on 2nd & 3rd with 1 out, or in this case a guy on 2nd with 2 outs.

Game 2 goes tomorrow: Jordan Zimmermann making his final start for the Nats taking on Williams Perez for the Bravos. Game time 7:10.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:45 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,788,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
What about if we trade Werth to the Orioles for Davis? Assuming that he'll re-sign. Perhaps Werth could be worried about his health, and wants to move to the AL to play DH. Davis has played in the OF, so the transition wouldn't be too bad for him.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
What about if we trade Werth to the Orioles for Davis? Assuming that he'll re-sign. Perhaps Werth could be worried about his health, and wants to move to the AL to play DH. Davis has played in the OF, so the transition wouldn't be too bad for him.

You can't trade free agents until like June 15 of the year, so there goes that.

Our best bet for Werth: Is to find an AL team that needs a DH (Angels being the best team) and get some lottery ticket "guy in A ball or so" back for him.

And yes, I would love to sign Chris Davis in the off-season. Too bad, we have other pressing matters to get to first, mainly being dumping the big idiot known as the manager, and DFA'ing Papelbum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or