U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 10:22 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times

Advertisements

Nats 0 @ Braves 2.

Nats got a lead off double from Rendon in the 1st, failed to move him over. Braves got on the board in the bottom half when Nick Markaikis doubled with 2 outs and came home on a AJ Pierzienski double to the point who had driven in all 3 Braves runs in the series. Nats had another scoring threat in the 2nd when Robinson opened with a single, and Desmond walked, but Ramos grounded into a double play and after an intentional walk to Taylor, Zimmermann ended the threat on a fielders choice. Braves got the second run with another 2 out RBI on a Michael Bourn single scoring Todd Cunningham. Nats had their last threat in the 5th when Taylor doubled and Zimmermann singled (Taylor could only advance to 3rd waiting to see if the ball got through), and Williams Perez struck out Rendon & got Turner to hit into a force out. They also got a runner to 2nd with 2 outs in the 6th but failed to get any further. Braves only got 1 other runner to second base in the other 6 innings.

Thursday concludes the season series: Stephen Strasburg for the Nats vs. Ryan Weber for the Braves. Game time at 7:10. Braves stay home and have their final series of the season against the NL Central winner Cardinals, while the Nats go to New York and will try to fend off the hurricane and get 3 games in against the NL East champion Mets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 01:09 AM

This is a great article from Barry Svrluga of the Washington Post part 3 in a 3 part series about the 2015 Nats. Really shows just how inept Matt Williams was as a manager. I knew he was bad but this took it up 60 notches.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...l?tid=pm_pop_b

Old 10-01-2015, 04:30 AM

18,843 posts, read 7,328,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
This is a great article from Barry Svrluga of the Washington Post part 3 in a 3 part series about the 2015 Nats. Really shows just how inept Matt Williams was as a manager. I knew he was bad but this took it up 60 notches.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...l?tid=pm_pop_b

Paps is Rizzo's baby. Mets dealt Fulmer-showing '15 as all in. Nats should have been willing to deal amongst Top 5, but feel they are not deep enough to do so. With Big 4 NYM starters plus Wheeler, Fulmer was expendable. Who is behind Turner on the depth charts? I sense not having a next Turner, Rizzo's doing, was Nats issue.

More telling is Nats #1 concern should have been a bat..Zobrist comes to mind, or Cespedes for that matter. But it would mean dealing a Top 5. Holding them with an awful Free Agent winter to come means they value being adequate in both 15 and beyond vs going for it.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 10-01-2015 at 04:42 AM..

Old 10-01-2015, 10:31 PM

Default 81-78

Nats 3 @ Braves 0.

Robinson home run in the 2nd put the Nats on the board first, and they added 2 in the 8th for the final margin: a fielders choice by Turner put them up 2-0, and Harper up next had another fielders choice for the final margin. Strasburg pitched 6 innings, but only finished with 7 strikeouts, so his double digit strikeout games end at 4. At least he's had a great August and September, so that's something we can look forward too in 2016. Ryan Weber was the hard luck loser for the Braves. He gave up only 6 hits, struck out 10 with that 1 run allowed (on the Robinson home run) and falls to 0-3 on the year, but certainly no fault of his own.

Final series of this disaster of a season starts in Queens tomorrow night (though from the weather forecasts it looks like Friday's game is gonna be a washout.) If it does get played it will have Gio Gonzalez making his final start of the season, and as a potential trade candidate in the offseason, this could also be his final start as a Nat, and he'll be opposed by Noah Syndergaard for the Mets making a 3 or 4 inning tuneup before the playoffs start. Game time scheduled for 7:10.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:03 AM

Default 81-78

Nats @ Mets postponed.

Remnants from hurricane Joaquin postponed Friday's season opener (along with the Yankees @ Orioles & Marlins @ Phillies) to a day night double header on Saturday pending more rain.

First game is the regularly scheduled contest which will still have Gio Gonzalez for the Nats taking on Noah Syndergaard for the Mets.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:17 PM

Default 82-78

Nats 3 @ Mets 1.

Well, at least we will finish over .500. However, if they lose the final 2, 80 losses is still in the books which would make the NL East only the second division since 2008 (6 team NL Central not withstanding) to have 4 of 5 teams finish with 80+ losses after the 2013 NL West. Of the 5 times since 2002 that's happened, it's happened in the NL West 3 times including in 2005 when all 5 teams finished with 80 or more losses as the division winner finished at 82-80. The 2006 NL Central just missed having all 6 teams as well as the Cardinals finished 83-79. The other 2 divisions were the 2002 AL Central and 08 NL West. Clint Robinson had a home run in the 7th to break a 0-0 tied, and after Juan Lagares tied the game in the bottom half, Harper hit the game winning 2 run homer in the 8th.

Second game will begin in about 53 minutes. Max Scherzer for the Nats vs. Matt Harvey for the Mets, who like Syndergaard should only pitch 4 or 5 innings as a final tuneup before facing the Dodgers in the NLDS.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:19 PM

I take it. due to weather,you opted not to go.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I take it. due to weather,you opted not to go.

Yah I'm going tomorrow. If the game started at 1 PM like they normally do on Sundays I would've gone tonight since it takes me FOREVER to get there from CT on the weekends, but I should've gone tonight anyways. Of course if I'm there Scherzer probably gives up a hit to the first guy he faces.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:39 PM

Default 83-78

Nats 2 @ Mets 0.

Scherzer 17 strike outs 0 walks, 0 hits, 1 Escobar throwing error away from a perfect game. His second no hitter of the season, and he actually could have more; Had a 1 hitter (on a bloop hit) in Milwaukee, and his last start against the hapless Reds he went 7 1/3 without giving up a hit finishing with 1 hit in that one. Mets pitchers were pretty good as well: they struck out 18 Nats hitters so 35 of the 54 outs recorded in this game were via strikeouts, not to bad. Scherzer ended the game striking out 9 of his last 10 and becomes the 6th pitcher to throw multiple no hitters in a season. They came against 2 playoff teams too, while the Mets get no hit for the second time this season after Giants rookie Chris Heston no hit them back in June, also at Citi Field. Nats scored the first run on an error, and had a Dan Uggla homer for the second run. Fantastic pitched game by both teams!

Season finale is on Sunday at a special 3:10 start time as MLB is starting all 15 games at the same time (either at 3:05 or 3:10). Tanner Roark makes the final Nats start of the season and he'll face off against Jacob deGrom getting his final tuneup of the year before the playoffs. The Nats will head into the offseason after this game with a lot of questions the most pressing being: 1) How do we cut Papelbon and 2) Who's managing the team in 2016. Nats next game that counts will be April 4, 2016 when they open the 2016 season @ Atlanta, while the Mets will next play Friday at a time and place to be determined against the LA Dodgers in the NLDS.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Yah I'm going tomorrow. If the game started at 1 PM like they normally do on Sundays I would've gone tonight since it takes me FOREVER to get there from CT on the weekends, but I should've gone tonight anyways. Of course if I'm there Scherzer probably gives up a hit to the first guy he faces.
Why don't you drive to a Metro North station, take it to GCT, then the 7 train. Or you can get the LIRR at Penn, and it is just 2 stops to Citi Field (game days only POrt Washington line).

Congrats on Scherzer's gem tonight, btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or