Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2015, 11:59 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,542,629 times

Advertisements

You guys should have paid Bud Black smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 09:38 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
Default Mvp

Well, this may have been a terrible, disappointing year, but it became official: Harper a unanimous MVP selection. Knew he was going to win since about the end of May, but the unanimous selection was surprising.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:03 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,391,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Nats hire Bud Black as the new manager. Definitely better choice than Dusty Baker who was a close second apparently as Black & Baker were the only 2 invited back for a second interview. Pretty safe hire, and he's a pitching guy, and even with the NL MVP (Harper) this is still going to be a pitching first team. Wasn't very good in San Diego, but they were never terrible either. In the 10 full years he managed I think they won only 90 games once and lost 90 games once, so the other 8 years was between 65-85 win mediocrity with most years in the 70-80 win range. Will be interesting to see how he does on a team that has some offensive threats, and a better pitching staff (overall) then he had in SD.
Actually Black works in the front office for the Angels while Baker was hired by the Nationals to replace Matt Williams as manager.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:24 PM

Daniel Murphy signs with the Nats (bad signing).
Yunel Escobar gets traded to Angels for Trevor Gott (decent reliver has that big "P" word.....potential and some other lottery ticket).
Jordan Zimmermann signs with the Tigers.
Span signs with Giants
Storen traded to Blue Jays for OF Ben Revere. Why I have no idea. I assume the reason they made no attempt at resigning Span was they thought Taylor could play everyday....but then why bring in another OF in a trade for Storen?? Plus, we still have the cancer known as Jonathan Papelbum with the organization.....I'd have no problem trading Revere for him.
Desmond still hasn't signed, and the longer he remains unsigned the better chance it is we get him back.
No idea what happened to Fister.

I can't see much going on with this group next year, seems Rizzo made moves "just to make moves." Murphy signing makes no sense, Revere-Storen trade REALLY makes no sense, still have cancer. Mets still look like the best team in the division, and even if they do win the East, they have no chance to advance against the Cubs (added Jason Hayward), Dodgers, D'Backs (added Greinke & Shelby Miller) or the Giants (added Span & Samardjiza). Unless Rizzo can sign Cespedes/Upton (which won't happen because that'll mean trading Werth which he won't do) this looks like an 85 win team tops.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:40 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Yunel Escobar gets traded to Angels for Trevor Gott (decent reliver has that big "P" word.....potential and some other lottery ticket).
Span signs with Giants
Storen traded to Blue Jays for OF Ben Revere. Why I have no idea. I assume the reason they made no attempt at resigning Span was they thought Taylor could play everyday....but then why bring in another OF in a trade for Storen?? Plus, we still have the cancer known as Jonathan Papelbum with the organization.....I'd have no problem trading Revere for him.
Desmond still hasn't signed, and the longer he remains unsigned the better chance it is we get him back.

I can't see much going on with this group next year, seems Rizzo made moves "just to make moves." Murphy signing makes no sense, Revere-Storen trade REALLY makes no sense, still have cancer. Mets still look like the best team in the division, and even if they do win the East, they have no chance to advance against the Cubs (added Jason Hayward), Dodgers, D'Backs (added Greinke & Shelby Miller) or the Giants (added Span & Samardjiza). Unless Rizzo can sign Cespedes/Upton (which won't happen because that'll mean trading Werth which he won't do) this looks like an 85 win team tops.

I think Murph will still be an OBP machine, and unlike Span, one who plays 130 games. That means Harper is not always coming up bases empty. I think Nats are, at best, 3rd behind Mets, then Marlins. My hunch for Nats as is 75 win territory, at best, 70 is possible, too.

Mets will win the division, and Heyward alone is not going to overcome a Cub club swept by NYM last year (w/Cespedes awful in series, btw), especially with Wheeler back for playoffs..in pen. I like Heyward, but Cubs needed either Price or Greinke. They have just one starter who can match zeroes with Mets Big 3. Same quantity as they had last year. Lester in the NL now needs to be on club where he is either a 3 or 4 starter. Not in top 2.

D'Backs can battle NY, as can SF possibly, and I never w/o the Cards. But Cubbies IMO missed the Big Windy City need..another ace quality starter.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:53 PM

LOL so I'm actually giving them 10 more wins then you are

Old 01-12-2016, 03:39 AM

Quote:
LOL so I'm actually giving them 10 more wins then you are

I see no shot at 80, let alone 85, given what you lost this offseason.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:40 PM

They can still improve this offseason, unfortunately #1 won't happen:

#1) Sign Wei-Yen Chen, trade Gio + prospects to Colorado for Carlos Gonzalez (I still think the Rockies are dealing him before opening day, just my hunch). Chen just signed with the Marlins, so Bob is right, Marlins are probably the 2nd best team in the NL East now. Not really having a CF in that group (Revere, Harper [plays better in a corner] & CarGo) hurts. But Revere gets on base and then Rendon/Harper/Zim (in the 80 games that he plays)/Murphy/CarGo can drive him in. Last year we had too few lefties, this lineup looks lefty-heavy.
#2) Sign Upton/Cespedes, move Taylor + prospects for a 4 or 5 pitcher/reliever, trade Werth & eat his remaining $40 million or whatever it is for whatever A ball player we can get back from an AL team that can use a DH. Basically, same as #1, except of adding another lefty OF bat, it's a righty OF bat, and a worse pitcher.
#3) the pipe dream scenario: Sign Chris Davis. Trade & eat most of the money remaining on Werth & Zim's contracts. Get a couple of "lottery-ticket" players back (though better rated prospects the more money we eat), trade a couple high-ceiling guys like Taylor to Toronto (and if we got 1 in the Werth/Zim trade) for Bautista. Not sure Davis at 1b is an upgrade over Zim on defense, but on offense he is. Still left-top heavy, but with some modifications you can break it up between right-left (Revere [S I think]), Rendon (R), Harper (L), Bautistia (R), Davis (L), Ramos (R), Espinosa (S), Turner (R), pitcher.

In any case, we need to add another offensive bat, or else Bob may have been generous with the 75 win plateau. Can't count on 30 homers from Zim or Rendon, Murphy's regular season career high is only 14, so let's say 15 from him, Ramos & Werth are on the downward trajectory, Revere in his entire baseball career [including little league] probably has less than 10. Who the hell besides Harper is going to drive in Revere & Rendon??

Old 01-13-2016, 04:14 AM

Quote:
They can still improve this offseason, unfortunately #1 won't happen:

#1) Sign Wei-Yen Chen, trade Gio + prospects to Colorado for Carlos Gonzalez (I still think the Rockies are dealing him before opening day, just my hunch). Chen just signed with the Marlins, so Bob is right, Marlins are probably the 2nd best team in the NL East now. Not really having a CF in that group (Revere, Harper [plays better in a corner] & CarGo) hurts. But Revere gets on base and then Rendon/Harper/Zim (in the 80 games that he plays)/Murphy/CarGo can drive him in. Last year we had too few lefties, this lineup looks lefty-heavy.
#2) Sign Upton/Cespedes, move Taylor + prospects for a 4 or 5 pitcher/reliever, trade Werth & eat his remaining $40 million or whatever it is for whatever A ball player we can get back from an AL team that can use a DH. Basically, same as #1, except of adding another lefty OF bat, it's a righty OF bat, and a worse pitcher.
#3) the pipe dream scenario: Sign Chris Davis. Trade & eat most of the money remaining on Werth & Zim's contracts. Get a couple of "lottery-ticket" players back (though better rated prospects the more money we eat), trade a couple high-ceiling guys like Taylor to Toronto (and if we got 1 in the Werth/Zim trade) for Bautista. Not sure Davis at 1b is an upgrade over Zim on defense, but on offense he is. Still left-top heavy, but with some modifications you can break it up between right-left (Revere [S I think]), Rendon (R), Harper (L), Bautistia (R), Davis (L), Ramos (R), Espinosa (S), Turner (R), pitcher.

In any case, we need to add another offensive bat, or else Bob may have been generous with the 75 win plateau. Can't count on 30 homers from Zim or Rendon, Murphy's regular season career high is only 14, so let's say 15 from him, Ramos & Werth are on the downward trajectory, Revere in his entire baseball career [including little league] probably has less than 10. Who the hell besides Harper is going to drive in Revere & Rendon??

Murph will drive in 60-70. But he does best IMO batting 2nd.

I'd avoid Cespedes in favor of Upton.

I'd avoid Davis, as IMO, 40+ HRs annually will not last past 1st half of contract-and he is a 1 tool guy. (Orioles should be glad he turned down 150!)

I agree Cargo is moving, and I suspect to the AL.

As for Werth, you couldn't get a burger and fries for him now..even in the AL. On a great day,he is a 5th Outfielder for a mediocre team, at best. A guy worth, at most, major league minimum.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Span signs with Giants

You forgot Nats won the "Steven Drew sweepstakes"? LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball