U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 10:13 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,489,472 times

Advertisements

How could I have forgotten the Stephen Drew & Olli Perez sweepstakes?? Watch out Mets, we're coming, and those 2 are going to lead the Cavalry, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 03:59 AM

18,867 posts, read 7,336,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
How could I have forgotten the Stephen Drew & Olli Perez sweepstakes?? Watch out Mets, we're coming, and those 2 are going to lead the Cavalry, LOL.

I forgot about Olli. Drew is still wishing he accepted Sox offer years ago.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:01 PM

40,904 posts, read 18,562,052 times
Giants fan here. What can you folks tell me about what we are getting in Dernard Span? Looking at his record I note that before the last two seasons he was a positive WAR defender, but fell into the negative side in '14 and '15.

He will be replacing Aoki in leftfield. Aoiki had good on base skills, no power, was a bad outfielder, and missed a lot of time to injuries. Is Span an upgrade on that?

Old 01-15-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Giants fan here. What can you folks tell me about what we are getting in Dernard Span? Looking at his record I note that before the last two seasons he was a positive WAR defender, but fell into the negative side in '14 and '15.

He will be replacing Aoki in leftfield. Aoiki had good on base skills, no power, was a bad outfielder, and missed a lot of time to injuries. Is Span an upgrade on that?

Great OBP, solid fielder IMO when fully healthy. How often that is true is the $64,000 question.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:52 PM

10,136 posts, read 11,644,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

Denard Span when he is healthy can change the lineup offensively with his speed and his ability to get on base. On defense he's a very good outfielder, but like it was said before, he can't stay healthy. If he is healthy he will help a ton.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:51 PM

if he can stay on the field he'll be a great fit at the top of the Giants order. And plays great defense in the OF as well.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:25 AM

I'm trying to figure this out, really want an answer:

So, as you probably know the Nats bullpen was a complete cluster$#%k of a disaster last year that they revamped it entirely......about the only person still in the pen from last year should be the one gone Jonathan Papelbum. One of the moves Rizzo made over the winter was to trade Yunel Escobar to the Angels for a hard-throwing set up type guy in Trevor Gott, still young, but throws cheese and could really help. I didn't like trading Escobar (outside of Harper, he was the best player last year), but to get something, you have to give up something, so for a reliever with potential, it was a trade worth taking. Later in the winter they traded Drew Storen to Toronto for Ben Revere, and I really do like Revere: plays pretty good defense, rarely strikes out (think last year he was like the 2nd or 3rd hardest player in baseball to strike out) can run, doesn't have a lick of power so never "swings for the fences" but his big downfall is he has a complete noodle of an arm in the OF, but the positive's outweigh the negatives, but that was a completely mind-numbingly stupid trade. I've mentioned this time and time again that Storen got completely jobbed in Washington, and in every pressure-packed situation he was put in he was doomed to fail. Did he need a fresh start someone else?? No, he just needed a manager that could trust him, and not bring in a completely loser, & cancer to steal his job when he was one of the best closers in baseball the first 4 months last year. Don't believe me, go look it up. He was 29/31 in save opportunities on the day we traded for cancer, but the 2 games he blew we ended up winning in extra innings anyways, so he may as well have been 31/31 in closing out games. On the day cance......errr Papelbum arrived, Storen had around a 1.90 ERA.....and that was bloated due to a game he appeared in when the Nats were up 16-1 in the 9th inning and he gave up 3 runs on a homer. Where was I going with this?? Oh yah Storen! So Rizzo decides to give him a fresh start, completely understandable, but the return makes no sense, and I think I wrote about it earlier in the winter. They already had outfield depth as it was (even with Span gone) and now they added more?? What?? And to go back to what I said in January when I first heard about this: I thought the reason they didn't make Span the QO and made no attempt to resign him was because they thought Taylor was ready to play.....and then you trade for his replacement?? And in January, 6 weeks before Spring training starts?? The only sliver of sense it made was if Taylor was going to be used as part of a package to get a Carlos Gonzalez or other big time player, but that hasn't transpired. Now I get the MLB AT bat notification this evening that we have optioned Gott to AAA. I literally have no clue what Rizzo tried to accomplish this off season, it's like a mix-match of contrasting styles.
1) Lose Jordan Zimmermann to Tigers but still have a pretty good rotation
2) Lose Span to Giants, trade Storen for Revere to take Taylor's spot who was taking Span's vacated spot. Already mentioned this. Trade Papelbum for Revere?? Still a stupid trade on the depth chart, but at least it makes sense.
3) Trade Escobar for Gott and some other low ball relief pitcher. Touched on this, perfectly fine had Gott broken camp
4) Completely overpaid and got completely ripped off for Daniel Murphy.
5) Still have canc.....err Papelbum.
On one hand they try to be a team like the Royals: a team that won't strike out, puts the ball in play, runs (seems like they've stolen a lot of bases this spring), but also doesn't walk and hit for power. Seems to be an average/OBP team. With that strategy you better have good pitching.....either starting pitching or relief pitching, Nats have neither. At least the Royals have a lock down bullpen, the Cubs, Cardinals & Pirates seem to have a lock down rotation, the Nats?? They have a pretty good 1 & 2, but nothing close to lock down?? In the bullpen?? I've completely $#!t on him since day 1 and will completely $#!t on him until the day he is finally cut, but at least Papelbum closes out games, but who the hell is after that?? Oliver Perez?!?!? Yah like Jayson Hayward or Matt Carpenter are shaking in their cleats at the thought of facing Olllie Perez in a playoff game! According to Athalon we also have Yusmiero Petit (OK 3 years ago for the Giants but I'm sure Paul Goldschmidt & Yadier Molina are TERRIFIED of facing him), and Shawn Kelley who was OK for the Yankees 2 years ago, but hardly "lock down relief arms" like the Royals or Yankees now possess. Also, none of those guys have especially "strikeout" stuff, so yah. Have I mentioned the defense, which is going to be completely awful?? And you want contact pitchers putting the ball in play behind them?!?!?!?
Now that I look at the rest of the NL there is no chance this team is a World Series contender this year so part of me wants to see this team fight, snag a second wildcard spot from the Giants/Dodgers/Pirates/D'Backs, but there's another part of me that just wants to see this implode so we can clean house. Stras is gone next year might as well get something, Rizzo has done nothing but pull off head scratchers, time to move on in the front office, get that 2 year old stale Dodger Dog with the moldy bun for Papelbum. Like this team currently constructed I have no identity on what I want to do this year.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:41 PM

I see about a 75 win season for Nats, as 3-5 starting crew is suspect at best. And you have a closer who will have a meltdown when Murph predictably flips a slow roller behind his back style to first and down the RF line. Murph has a good bat, but IMO will not perform as well as he did in NY. I think he felt NY owed him more, and while I agree, a cerebral DM is a better player than one not even keeled.

His OBP will help you, his D will harm you.

Would far prefer Span even for 1/2 a year to Revere.

Hate your pen.

3rd place should be a lock. Fish should be in mid 80 win range. Orange & Blue will prevail barring catatrophic injuries of long term duration. (My metric is we win easily if we get 84 starts from Big 3, 120 games from Ces , and 200 combined minimum from Grandy & Duda.)

Old 04-05-2016, 12:20 AM

Default 2016: 1-0

Nats 4 @ Braves 3 (10 innings).

Harper home run in the first after Rendon got picked off; Freeman answered with a home run bottom half. Forgot how the Nats got the second run (wasn't really paying attention), and then Adonyis Garcia tied the game in the 4th. I had to leave for my basketball team banquet after that, but apparently one of the new guys out of the bullpen threw a bases-loaded 4 pitch walk to give the Braves the lead heading into the 9th. Nats tied it on a sac fly and won it on a Murphy double. Won't even mention who closed the game because I already have steam coming out of my ears.

Old 04-06-2016, 12:37 PM

Game 2:

Nats (1-0) will send Stephen Strasburg (0-0, 0.00) to the mound for his last, first start in a Nationals uniform. Strasburg will be a free agent at years end, and is unlikely to be resigned by the organization. The Braves (0-1) counter with Bud Norris (0-0, 0.00) who was signed to a 1 year deal after splitting last year between the Orioles & Padres. First pitched scheduled for around 7:10 PM eastern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or