U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 07:02 PM

18,890 posts, read 7,353,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Game 2:

Nats (1-0) will send Stephen Strasburg (0-0, 0.00) to the mound for his last, first start in a Nationals uniform. Strasburg will be a free agent at years end, and is unlikely to be resigned by the organization. The Braves (0-1) counter with Bud Norris (0-0, 0.00) who was signed to a 1 year deal after splitting last year between the Orioles & Padres. First pitched scheduled for around 7:10 PM eastern.
Free Agency already? Did not think he was so far ahead of Harvey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 11:57 AM

8,121 posts, read 12,691,081 times
Nationals, Marlins postponed by cold weather | nationals.com

This surprises me. The sun is partially out. It's in the mid-40s.

Pittsburgh had their home opener and the game time temp was 39 (the wind chill was much lower). Cleveland's opener had a game time temp of 34 (again, not counting wind). 39 in Chi yesterday.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:10 AM

6,546 posts, read 4,496,603 times
Default 10-3

Nats 7 @ Marlins 0.

If you only watched 1 half inning of this game, it better had been the Nats 7th, because there was no scoring in any of the other 18 top half or bottom half innings, as the games only runs came in that 7th inning. For the first time in Nationals history, the team went back to back twice in the same inning. Jayson Werth put the team on the board with a solo home run, 1 pitch later Wilson Ramos added a homer, Bryce Harper added to the lead with a grand slam later on in the inning. That was Harper's second career grand slam in a week, and then the next batter Ryan Zimmerman added the final tally on a solo home run.

Stephen Strasburg picked up the win. He pitched 8 innings, struck out 10, walked 2 and allowed only 3 hits. Adam Conley took the loss for the Fish; he pitched 6 2/3, struck out 8, walked 1, allowed 8 hits, 4 runs, and 2 home runs. Through the first 3 weeks of the season, Strasburg looks like an early candidate for the NL Cy Young. Wednesday is the 3rd of the 4 game series: Joe Ross (2-0, 0.61) takes on Marlins free agent signing Wei-Yin Chen (0-0, 5.56) who has picked up no decisions in each of his 3 starts this year. Game time at 7:10.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:30 AM

Default 11-3

Nats 3 @ Marlins 1.

Nats add to their best start in franchise history. Nats got scoring started in the 1st when a Zimmerman double drove in Rendon. Harper added a double which drove in starter Joe Ross for the 2nd run in the 3rd, the last time we would see Ross in the game as he left with a blister problem. Smart move by Dusty though, even though he was coming out, he let him bat in the inning so he wouldn't waste a position player. I questioned the Dusty hiring, but so far it's golden. Michael Taylor concluded the Nats scoring on the afternoon with a homer to CF. Marlins got their lone run in the bottom half of the 5th with a homer by Derek Dietrich. Ross finished with 1 hit, 1 walk and 0 strikeouts through 2 innings before he departed with the blister, and Yusmiero Petit picked up the win throwing 4 innings of 2 hit with 1 run allowed (on the Dietrich homer) and 3 strikeouts. Oliver Perez & Blake Treinen picked up holds throwing 1 inning a piece with 2 strikeouts & 1 walk, while Papelbon picked up the save with 1 hit allowed, but struck out Giancarlo Stanton looking as the tying run to end the game. Wei-Yin Chen with the loss for the Marlins: 6 hits, 3 runs, 2 walks, and 7 strikeouts in 7 innings to picked up his first decision of the year after the first 2 were no decisions.

4 game series concludes Thursday with the Nats looking to take 3/4. Max Scherzer (2-0, 3.15) takes the ball for the Nats while the Marlins look for the split handing the ball to Tom Koehler (0-2, 6.30). Game time at 1:10 PM.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:44 PM

Default 11-4

Nats 1 @ Marlins 5

Harper got his 8th home run in the first, from there it was all Marlins as Scherzer did not have it today. Marcel Ozuna gave the Fish the lead in the bottom half with a 3 run homer, Martin Prado singled in the 4th Miami run in the 2nd, and Justin Bour finished the scoring with a double in the 5th. Max Scherzer (2-1) took the loss he gave up 8 hits, 5 runs, 2 walks and only struck out 3 in 5 innings pitched. Tom Koehler (1-2) gave up 2 hits, 1 run, 1 walk and 5 strikeouts and picked up the win. Craig Breslow (useless stat: his father was my gym teacher in high school, so I always like to see him do well!), Kyle Barraclough, David Phelps and A.J. Ramos finished up the game and combined for 0 hits allowed.

Friday starts the first interleague series of the season as the Minnesota Twins (winners of 5 of 7 after an 0-9 start) come to Nats park. Kyle Gibson (0-2, 3.57) opens for the Twins and he'll be opposed by Gio Gonzalez (0-0, 0.69) takes the ball for the hometown side.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:27 PM

You guys have surprised me so far. Particularly the 3-5 starters.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
You guys have surprised me so far. Particularly the 3-5 starters.

Yah. Gio has been surprisingly really good, and Stras so far is lights out. Getting more on offense out of Murphy then I thought we'd be getting too, and so far (*knock on wood) hasn't completely killed us with fielding. Espinosa at SS committed his 3rd error tonight, but I don't think anyone else has more than 1.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Yah. Gio has been surprisingly really good, and Stras so far is lights out. Getting more on offense out of Murphy then I thought we'd be getting too, and so far (*knock on wood) hasn't completely killed us with fielding. Espinosa at SS committed his 3rd error tonight, but I don't think anyone else has more than 1.
Murph should end up .290, 175 hits, 35 doubles, 15 HRS. Bring tums for his fielding. Not naturally awful, but prone to the worst decisions you will ever see (behind the back flips to first, with no outs on dp balls, 1st and third, might go home, etc).

I still like him, but am glad we have Walker instead. I like sane players. I want to see the middle IF played the way it has been 100 years, not as if a Martian had landed at 2nd having never seen it before.

PS: Murph in field IMO is best at first. Must play sane there.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 04-23-2016 at 11:36 AM..

Old 04-23-2016, 06:37 PM

Yup I agree. Unfortunately we have Zim locked up through 2020 or 21 and can't throw across the diamond anymore, so we are stuck. Maybe if we can get an AL team to eat the rest of Werth's contract we can move Zim to LF (where he played in 2014), Murph over to first, Espi over to 2b, and Turner at SS. Probably a better defense infield too.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Yup I agree. Unfortunately we have Zim locked up through 2020 or 21 and can't throw across the diamond anymore, so we are stuck. Maybe if we can get an AL team to eat the rest of Werth's contract we can move Zim to LF (where he played in 2014), Murph over to first, Espi over to 2b, and Turner at SS. Probably a better defense infield too.
He was Collins target when he said after a loss (defense misplays) "We have guys trying to do the spectacular, when the routine is what is called for".

So glad to have Walker. Need to extend his contract now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or