U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 10:23 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Why is he playing the regulars? I mean, I know they need some ABs, but not 4 a game all week.

Still jockeying for position with the Dodgers for homefield in the other NLDS series. Dodgers are 90-66, but they own the tiebreaker since they crushed us 5-1 in the season series. I don't think they are going to beat the Dodgers anyways, so I'd rather the regulars just sit out and not get anyone else hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 03:41 PM

So in news today:

As expected Ramos has a torn ACL, out for the year
Strasburg will not pitch in the NLDS (not a shocker there, that was to be expected)
And also today Murphy may not be ready for the playoffs. Congrats on the win Dodgers!

Old 09-27-2016, 05:27 PM

18,843 posts, read 7,324,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
So in news today:

As expected Ramos has a torn ACL, out for the year
Strasburg will not pitch in the NLDS (not a shocker there, that was to be expected)
And also today Murphy may not be ready for the playoffs. Congrats on the win Dodgers!

Mets lost whole staff-you lost these 3. Maddon is blessed ultimately..

Old 09-30-2016, 03:31 PM

Default 93-66

Sorry had to submit quarter end expense reports this week so a little behind on the recaps!

Tuesday:

D'Backs 2 @ Nats 4.

Jean Segura lead off with a homer, and Wellington Castillo doubled in the 3rd to put the Backs up 2-0. Drew sac fly in the 6th cut the lead in half, and Rendon added a 3 run homer for the winner and final runs later in the inning. Matt Koch went 5 innings allowing only 1 hit but 2 runs with 1 walk and 3 strikeouts in his first career start, while Randall Delgado (4-3, 3rd blown save) allowed the final 2 runs on 1 hit (Rendon home run) with 1 walk and 1 strikeout. Scherzer (19-7) allowed 2 runs on 6 hits (1 homer) with 2 walks and 10 strikeouts in 6 innings. Solis (8th hold) and Kelley (10th hold) combined for 2 hitless innings while Melancon (14th save [44th overall]) pitched a 1-2-3 9th with 1 strikeout.

Wednesday:

D'Backs 3 @ Nats 0 (6 innings).

Paul Goldschmidt RBI groundout in the first, Chris Drury double in the 3rd, and Goldschmidt single in the 4th were the final 2 runs. Not going to dog on Gio this game who was clearly emotional pitching for his friend Jose Fernandez. Gio (11-11) allowed 3 runs on 8 hits with 3 walks and 4 strikeouts in 3.2. Shelby Miller (3-12) pitched 5 scoreless allowing 5 hits with 1 walk and 5 strikeouts in throwing his first shutout of the season in his last start of his miserable campaign in Arizona.

Thursday:

D'Backs 3 @ Nats 5.

Jake Lamb single in the 3rd put AZ up 1-0. Pedro Severino homer in the bottom half tied the score, Espi ground out put them up for good at 2-1 in the 4th, Taylor added a 2 run single later in the inning, and Wilmer Difo's first career home run in the 5th made it 5-1. Socrates Brito (one of the best names in the sport) had a 2 run homer in the 9th for the final margin. Ex Nat farmhand Robbie Ray (8-15) allowed 5 runs on 5 hits (2 homers) with 4 walks and 3 strikeouts in 4.2. Ross started for the Nats pitching 4 innings allowing 1 run on 3 hits with 2 walks and 3 strikeouts. Lopez (5-3) picked up the win pitching 3.2 allowing 2 runs on 3 hits (1 homer) with 1 walk and 2 strikeouts while Mark Melancon (15th save [45th overall]) retiring the final 2 batters striking out 1.

D'Backs will head home for their final series of the year when they take on the Padres, which will be the final 3 games Padres hall of fame broadcaster Dick Enberg will calling in the booth. Nats meanwhile host the Marlins to end their season. Since the Nats have a magic number of 2 for homefield against the Dodgers, and I think the Dodgers are losing twice to San Francisco, this is a series where I really wouldn't mind getting swept in. Marlins have been through so much the past week, I would be happy for them to end the year with a couple wins, and to finish with a record over .500. A.J. Cole (1-2, 5.09) starts for the Nationals while Andrew Cashner (5-11, 5.13) will likely be making his final start for the Marlins who has been a colossal disappointment since coming over from the Padres in July. Game time at 7:05.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:03 PM

Default 93-67

Marlins 7 @ Nats 4.

Justin Bour & Adeiny Hechavarria singles in the 2nd put the Fish up 2-0, and they made the lead 4-0 in the 3rd with a Christian Yelich sac fly & a Bour single. Rendon & Drew had back-to-back homers in the 4th and Lobaton double and Turner single knotted the game at 4. Dee Gordon infield single in the 6th, Yelich homer in the 7th, and a Marcel Ozuna single in the 9th finished the scoring for the Fish. Nice gesture and show of appreciation for the Nats, they had a tribute before the game for Fernandez, and the grundskeepers put #16 behind the mound. Cole allowed 4 runs (2 earned) on 6 hits with 0 walks and 2 strikeouts in 6 innings. Solis (2-4) took the loss with 1 run on 1 hit in 1.1 with 1 walk and 2 strikeouts. Andrew Cashner allowed 4 runs on 7 hits (2 homers) with 2 walks and 3 strikeouts in 7 innings. Mike Dunn (6-1) pitched a hitless inning of work with 1 strikeout and Brian Ellington (3rd hold), Fernando Rodney (8th hold), and David Phelps (25th hold) each threw 1 inning of hitless relief with a combined 6 strikeouts and 0 walks while AJ Ramos (40th save) struck out the side in the 9th sandwiched around a walk. They retired 16 of the final 17 Nats that came to the plate. And at this rate you have to be concerned about the lack of length the Nationals starting are getting. Aside from Scherzer they haven't had a starter last more than 5 innings since September 20.....10 days ago. Some of that in Ross's case is due to him getting stretched out, but he hasn't helped himself with a couple long first innings in his starts which up the pinch count early. And this team is going to have to win a game with Tanner Roark (great for most of the year but faltering down the stretch; didn't start in 14 even though he should have), AJ Cole and Joe Ross. Are you confident in that because I'm sure not. Luckily the Dodgers have their own issues there as well.

Game 2 on Saturday afternoon: Wei-Yin Chen (5-4, 5.02) makes his final start for the Marlins, and he'll be opposed by Tanner Roark (15-10, 2.86) who will make his final start before likely starting game 2 of the NLDS next Saturday vs. LA.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:49 AM

Default 94-67

Marlins 1 @ Nats 2.

Harper single in the 1st, Turner homer in the 5th and a Chris Johnson single in the 6th for the Marlins were the only 3 runs. Wei-Yin Chen (5-5) allowed 2 runs on 6 hits (1 homer) with 1 walk and 5 strikeouts in 5 innings. Roark (16-10) allowed 1 run on 3 hits with 4 walks and 4 strikeouts. Treinen (22nd hold), Kelley (13th hold) and Scrabble (5th hold) combined to allow 1 hit 1 walk and 2 strikeouts in 2 combined innings. Melancon (16th save [46th overall]) recorded the final 4 outs, 1 via strikeout, for the 4 out save.

The final game of the regular season goes on Sunday with not much riding on it. Scherzer is going for win #20, but homefield is already locked up. With them off until Friday you don't want to sit everyone, but you also don't want anyone else getting hurt, so will be interesting to see who Dusty puts out there. I'd expect much of the regulars to start, but will be out of there by the 5th inning or their 2nd at bat of the day. Max Scherzer (19-7, 2.82) starts for the Nats while Tom Koehler (9-13, 4.15) starts for the Marlins. Game time at 3:05.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:33 PM

Default 95-67

Marlins 7 @ Nats 10.

Lobes sac fly and a Scherzer single in the 2nd made it 3-0. Destin Hood made it 3-2 with a 2 run homer in the 4th, and Scherzer added another 2 run single in the bottom half to restore the 3 run lead. Marlins would tie it up in the 5th with a Tomas Telis 2 run homer and a Christian Yelich triple. Nats would take the lead in the bottom half on a Difo fielders choice and an Espi home run. A Telis single in the 8th brought in 2 and brought the lead back to 1, but Turner & Revere singles in the bottom half added the final 2 runs of the game. Scherzer (20-7) allowed 5 runs on 9 hits (2 home runs) with 2 walks and 7 strikeouts in 5 innings. Trevor Gott (1st hold), Ollie (15th hold), Lopez (1st hold), and Solis (9th hold) allowed 2 runs on 4 hits with 1 walk and 3 strikeouts in 3 innings. Melancon (17th hold [47th overall]) allowed 1 hit in the 9th, but locked down his 47th save of the year.

The Marlins finish the year 79-82 in 3rd place 15.5 back of the Nats and will open 2017 the same place they ended 2016.....right here at Nationals Park when they open the 2017 season with 3 games in DC April 3-6 (with an off day on the 4th). Unlike this year when they had 13 of their 19 games the first half of the season, in 2017 they will only play 6 times the first half of the season, and play 13 times the 2nd half of the season a complete opposite of this year. The Nats finish the regular season 95-67, the NL East champs 8 games in front of the 2nd place Mets. They'll next be in action Friday when they take on the Dodgers in game 1 of the NLDS at Nationals park. Starters are likely to be Max Scherzer (20-7, 2.96) for the Nats and Clayton Kershaw (12-4, 1.69) with a start time to be determined but we know on Friday there are guaranteed to be 4 games on Friday (Baltimore/Toronto @ Texas, Boston @ Cleveland, Dodgers @ Washington, and Giants/Mets @ Cubs) and basing on last years schedules the game times will range from 12:30 PM to 9:30 PM. I'm guessing if the Giants win they'll slot us in the 5:30 spot, whereas if the Mets win they'll probably slot us in the 12:30 afternoon slot on Friday. I'll update during the week once the wildcard games are set and they have exact times.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:37 PM

Was hoping Murph would get batting crown, even though he is no longer a Met.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Was hoping Murph would get batting crown, even though he is no longer a Met.

That was bush league by the Rockies sitting LaMaheui the final week, IMO. Not only were they playing the Giants (a team fighting for a playoff spot) as far as I know he wasn't even hurt, and the team was going nowhere. Murphy would've been out there the majority of the games had he not been hurt. Cheap way to win the batting title if you ask me. At least when Reyes did it he started the game and then took himself out, so there was a chance for him not to get it, not starting to preserve it is terrible. I was hoping the baseball Gods would give Murphy the hit as bad karma for sitting a perfectly healthy player to win a relatively meaningless award, too bad that liner went about 15 feet foul...

Old 10-02-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
That was bush league by the Rockies sitting LaMaheui the final week, IMO. Not only were they playing the Giants (a team fighting for a playoff spot) as far as I know he wasn't even hurt, and the team was going nowhere. Murphy would've been out there the majority of the games had he not been hurt. Cheap way to win the batting title if you ask me. At least when Reyes did it he started the game and then took himself out, so there was a chance for him not to get it, not starting to preserve it is terrible. I was hoping the baseball Gods would give Murphy the hit as bad karma for sitting a perfectly healthy player to win a relatively meaningless award, too bad that liner went about 15 feet foul...

To be candid, if you read my posts then as BobTn, I ripped Reyes move, as I found it bush league,too.

If not hurt, play 9 innings every day at the end of the year when team isn't preserving you for post season. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or