U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 07:01 PM

6,544 posts, read 4,493,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The only thing worse for a Giants fan than seeing them eliminated, is seeing them eliminated while the Dodgers advance.

Don't let that happen. We're counting on you, the manhood of every member of the Nationals is on the line.

You don't know the history of playoff futility in DC?? If you don't know, don't read about it, it's panful. That's why I'm not making any predictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 12:20 AM

That's the end of the season . Unlike 2012 & 2014 they left it all out on the field, very evenly matched teams which I would like to see play another 5 game series with a healthy Stras & Ramos. But the main common demononator from 2012 & 2014: Bad coaching decisions contributed greatly to the loss. In 2012 when Davey Johnson put Drew Storen in a bad spot with his relievers in that game 5, in game 4 in 2014 when Matt Williams put in Matt Thornton to face Buster Posey in the 7th when we were down in the game and down 2-1 in the series and now in 2016: With Werth on first and 2 outs in the 6th up 1-0, Zimmerman rips a ball down to the LF corner that the Dodgers LF Andrew Toles makes a great play to cut it off before it rolls into the corner. He throws the ball into SS Corey Seager right as Werth is hitting the third base bag but Nats 3rd base coach Bob Henley sends him home anyways. Seager could have rolled the ball to Grandal and gotten him out at that point, and the throw beats him by literally 50 feet no joke. The very next pitch Joc Pederson hits a home run to tie the score and the Dodgers added 4 more to hang on. Dusty Baker used 6 pitchers and made 5 changes in the 7th, and because of all the changes he was stuck with the pitcher due up in Rendon's spot. He also made a lot of pinch runners & pinch hitters early in the game, so in the 9th with runners on 1st & 2nd second with 2 outs, the pitchers spot (in the 5 hole) comes up, and the only player left on the bench is rookie Wilmer Difo....who was facing Clayton Kershaw making only his second career relief appearance. As expected, Difo had no chance. Dusty has been making great moves throughout the season, and in the first 3.5 games of this series, but the last 14 innings they played have been questionable moves: Bringing in Solis in game 4 AFTER Utley had already gotten the go ahead hit. Probably took out Scherzer too early. Yes, the Dodgers left the bases loaded in the 5th, and he had been in a lot of stress free innings, but I'd rather have a 120 pitch Scherzer at 80% than a 100% Scrabble or a 100% Ollie Perez or a 100% Treinen. I can't blame Dusty because A): The team did a lot better this year than I expected both in this series and overall in the season and B) Bob Henley had the play that really killed the Nats season.

In too much anguish to do a full recap of this game. I'll get to it sometime in the next 2 or 3 days when I can recover from this.

Old 10-14-2016, 04:08 AM

18,883 posts, read 7,346,323 times
You still had a terrific season. Congrats. It was a superb series.

I am a huge Turner fan, btw. IMO that' s who you build around, not Harper who will get more than he is worth as a FA. Turner is like a young 20 year old Reyes..game changer.

Theunmentioned moment of this game is LA Turner's 13 pitch AB in a 31 pitch 4th for LA. It changes Max's inning count.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:58 AM

So, the Nationals will be bringing back their entire coaching staff for next season. Some of it makes sense: Mike Maddux was great with the pitchers, and Davey Lopes is one of the best first base coaches in baseball, and in both Lopes and Maddux Dusty has one of the 2 better coaches at those respective positions in baseball. I'd get rid of Rick Schu the hitting coach. His hitting approach is getting stale, and once again could not drive runners in this postseason. Bob Sendl......whoops Henley is coming back as the 3rd base coach and this makes no sense. I was never a big fan of his anyways and the decisions to hold/send runners wasn't the greatest anyways (probably because he stands too far up the line) but the Werth debacle was a fireable offense, and really he should be fired for that. Jacque Jones as the bench coach, and I think Matt LeCroy is still the bullpen coach or bullpen catcher, so can't really comment on those since you basically never hear of those coaches.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:59 PM

Nats send Reynaldo Lopez, Lucas Giolito and Dane Dunning, their #3, #1 & #6 rated prospects for OF Adam Eaton. Doesn't make sense as they still need a RP and Rizzo, 6 months earlier REFUSED to move Giolito for Andrew Miller, who would, solve our closer problem for 2 years. Eaton was a 6 WAR player last year, but he's going to be moving from RF to CF, so not sure how much of an impact that will be. Considering we had the same prospects on the tale for Chris Sale (along with Victor Robles, the #2 rated prospect I think) and that couldn't even get Sale, this trade makes even less sense.

They also acquired Padres catcher Derek Norris as Wilson Ramos signs with Tampa Bay for 2 years.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:36 AM

11,985 posts, read 17,500,137 times
I did not like losing Melancon although perhaps that was unavoidable.

The Eaton trade makes me nervous.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:22 PM

18,883 posts, read 7,346,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Nats send Reynaldo Lopez, Lucas Giolito and Dane Dunning, their #3, #1 & #6 rated prospects for OF Adam Eaton. Doesn't make sense as they still need a RP and Rizzo, 6 months earlier REFUSED to move Giolito for Andrew Miller, who would, solve our closer problem for 2 years. Eaton was a 6 WAR player last year, but he's going to be moving from RF to CF, so not sure how much of an impact that will be. Considering we had the same prospects on the tale for Chris Sale (along with Victor Robles, the #2 rated prospect I think) and that couldn't even get Sale, this trade makes even less sense.

They also acquired Padres catcher Derek Norris as Wilson Ramos signs with Tampa Bay for 2 years.

You have 2 big holes I see, closer and catcher. Plus now your depth at starting pitcher is shallow. After Norris 2016, I question if he can hit enough. I'm not sure he is any better than Lobaton.

In addition, you are now out of chips to deal, unless it involves starting team or starting staff guys.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:51 PM

1) I doubt Norris even starts anyways. I've seen projected lineups the last couple days that had Pedro Severino starting. Not that it matters much as we gave up crap for Norris anyways.
2) also on Twitter today, with this trade I saw some analyst say our farm system has gone from one of the best in baseball to one of the worst. Add in the fact we STILL need a closer that bad farm system is likely to get even worse.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:17 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,260,219 times
I think I saw this on Google somewhere the Nationals are interested in Andrew McCutchen from the Pirates.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:28 AM

1,387 posts, read 690,444 times
Not anymore. Eaton is under team control for five years. He'll be in center this year then move to right as Harper replaces Werth in left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or