U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 01:04 AM

6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Do you think we'll know the start times of the divisional series by tomorrow or Saturday?

They should be I would assume. Both the Dodgers & Nats will have homefield in the NLDS and both will open on Friday. I'm guessing the Nats will have a 3 or 7 PM game on Friday, Dodgers are almost certainly to get the prime time slots for the NLDS. I think if the Pirates end up winning the Wildcard that Pirates/Nats series would probably be last on the totem pole for TV: Where I'd guess for TV rankings (assuming everything holds as is in the Central divisions AND Pittsburgh & Oakland are your 2 wildcard winners which I think they will be):

#1) Cards vs. Dodgers
#2) Angels vs. A's
#3) Orioles vs. Tigers
#4) Pirates vs. Nats.
Dodgers are the big market team of the 10 that would be in and it's not even close. They'll probably have the #1 broadcast team no matter who they play, if not then it'll definitely be the Angels. 1 of the 2 will have TBS & FOX's #1 team. You add in the market size with the Cards/Dodgers NLCS rematch Kershaw vs. Wainwright no doubt if this happens this is #1. Angels/A's likely have the #2 team. Orioles/Nats was a tossup I just think the Tigers have more starpower so they would get the edge on the Nats.

IF the Pirates catch and pass the Cards and the Royals catch and pass the Cards I'd guess (Wildcard winners Cards & Tigers):
#1) Angels vs. Tigers
#2) Dodgers vs. Pirates
#3) Nats vs. Cardinals
#4) Royals vs. Orioles (this series would almost be invisible).
Dodgers not playing a team they have history with, so they get bumped and Angels/Tigers (Cabrera vs. Trout) gets bumped to #1 broadcast team. Nats/Cards is a good series, and 2 good baseball cities, but 2 medium sized markets can't move it past LA. As I said Orioles/Royals would likely be invisible, so that's #4 by default.

Current division winners win division except the wildcard winners are Giants & Royals:
#1 still Cards vs. Dodgers
#2 Nats vs. Giants
#3 Orioles vs. Tigers
#4 Royals vs. Angels
Royals eliminate the A's which drops them down the list. Nats/Giants: the young up-and-coming team vs. the World Series winner 2 of the last 4 years would be a good storyline: outside of the Cards/Dodgers rematch that has the 2nd most intrigue.

Just my guesses anyways, we'll see in a week what the #'s are.

Even in 2012 when we played the Cards and had postseason baseball in DC for the first time in 80 years we were at least 3rd on TBS's totem pole that year (Yanks/O's was definitely ahead of us as well as Tigers/A's. Reds/Giants might have been as well).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 04:36 PM

Nats shut out the Marlins in game 1 of the double header behind Doug Fister's 3 hit, complete game shut out to clinch home field advantage throughout the entirety of the NL playoffs. Donavan Solano was the only Marlin to record a hit against the big right-hander as Solano finished the game 3-4 and the rest of the team got an 0'fer. They will now officially open up on Friday evening against the Cardinals/Pirates/or Giants whichever team wins the Wildcard. The Dodgers will now officially open up against the Cards/Pirates whichever team wins the Central on Friday.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:14 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,384,135 times
Nats!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-28-2014, 09:43 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,783,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
They should be I would assume. Both the Dodgers & Nats will have homefield in the NLDS and both will open on Friday. I'm guessing the Nats will have a 3 or 7 PM game on Friday, Dodgers are almost certainly to get the prime time slots for the NLDS. I think if the Pirates end up winning the Wildcard that Pirates/Nats series would probably be last on the totem pole for TV: Where I'd guess for TV rankings (assuming everything holds as is in the Central divisions AND Pittsburgh & Oakland are your 2 wildcard winners which I think they will be):

#1) Cards vs. Dodgers
#2) Angels vs. A's
#3) Orioles vs. Tigers
#4) Pirates vs. Nats.
Dodgers are the big market team of the 10 that would be in and it's not even close. They'll probably have the #1 broadcast team no matter who they play, if not then it'll definitely be the Angels. 1 of the 2 will have TBS & FOX's #1 team. You add in the market size with the Cards/Dodgers NLCS rematch Kershaw vs. Wainwright no doubt if this happens this is #1. Angels/A's likely have the #2 team. Orioles/Nats was a tossup I just think the Tigers have more starpower so they would get the edge on the Nats.

IF the Pirates catch and pass the Cards and the Royals catch and pass the Cards I'd guess (Wildcard winners Cards & Tigers):
#1) Angels vs. Tigers
#2) Dodgers vs. Pirates
#3) Nats vs. Cardinals
#4) Royals vs. Orioles (this series would almost be invisible).
Dodgers not playing a team they have history with, so they get bumped and Angels/Tigers (Cabrera vs. Trout) gets bumped to #1 broadcast team. Nats/Cards is a good series, and 2 good baseball cities, but 2 medium sized markets can't move it past LA. As I said Orioles/Royals would likely be invisible, so that's #4 by default.

Current division winners win division except the wildcard winners are Giants & Royals:
#1 still Cards vs. Dodgers
#2 Nats vs. Giants
#3 Orioles vs. Tigers
#4 Royals vs. Angels
Royals eliminate the A's which drops them down the list. Nats/Giants: the young up-and-coming team vs. the World Series winner 2 of the last 4 years would be a good storyline: outside of the Cards/Dodgers rematch that has the 2nd most intrigue.

Just my guesses anyways, we'll see in a week what the #'s are.

Even in 2012 when we played the Cards and had postseason baseball in DC for the first time in 80 years we were at least 3rd on TBS's totem pole that year (Yanks/O's was definitely ahead of us as well as Tigers/A's. Reds/Giants might have been as well).
Looks like we'll have to wait to see who wins the Giants / Pirates game before they give out a start time. It's a little irritating, but I understand.

Regardless of that, thank you for you response

Old 10-05-2014, 10:12 AM

3,718 posts, read 4,783,921 times
It was a combination of Matt Williams taking Zimmerman out and the bad calls by the umpire that cost us game two.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
It was a combination of Matt Williams taking Zimmerman out and the bad calls by the umpire that cost us game two.

We need to find who hid our bats and find those! Hopefully someone accidently Fedex'd them out to AT&T park because they forget we had home field so they're waiting for us out there by the Bay! We've played 27 innings this series (the equivalent of 3 games) have scored 3 runs and have 1 hit with a runner in scoring position. You could have a staff consisting of 99 Pedro Martinez, 01 Randy Johnson, 24 Walter Johnson, Nolan Ryan and 97 Roger Clemens and that team would be down 0-2 as well if the offense scored 3 runs in 27 innings!

Old 10-05-2014, 12:47 PM

2,386 posts, read 2,993,014 times
Oh my goodness, I cannot believe the **** last NIGHT! I left in the 17th inning and it was midnight when I got back. I read in the paper that the Giants hit a home run in the 18th. Ain't that somethin'? Harper, Werth, rendon and LaRoche all hit really really long balls that would have been home runs anywhere else, but the curse of DC struck and of course those balls came right back down all the way at the back of the outfield into a glove. Unbelievable. But somehow the Giants get a home run.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:50 PM

But WHY. WHY oh almighty was Zimmermann taken out of the game in the ninth inning after retiring 17 or 18 consecutive batters and leaving the Giants scoreless in 9 innings?!?!?!? WHY? The Nats were up 1-0, then gonna turn the pitching over to STOREN? STOREN the lost save from 2012 Game 5 against the Cardinals? WTF? Repeat anyone? I don't care if it was his 100th pitch - his no-hitter pitches went to 104! Sh%t!! I was upset about that. 18 effing innings and 0-2 in the fricking NLDS after winning 96 games and being #1 in the NL. This is sad. I can imagine how the Angels fans are feeling.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
We need to find who hid our bats and find those! Hopefully someone accidently Fedex'd them out to AT&T park because they forget we had home field so they're waiting for us out there by the Bay! We've played 27 innings this series (the equivalent of 3 games) have scored 3 runs and have 1 hit with a runner in scoring position. You could have a staff consisting of 99 Pedro Martinez, 01 Randy Johnson, 24 Walter Johnson, Nolan Ryan and 97 Roger Clemens and that team would be down 0-2 as well if the offense scored 3 runs in 27 innings!
Bats my a$$$$! it was Williams taking our best pitcher out of the game when he had kept the opponents scoreless for 9 innings. I bet everything I have (and it ain't much) Nats would have won that game. They only needed one more out! We were outside in the fairgrounds watching it yelling one more out. Everyone knew it was a bad choice to take him out of the game!

Giants had NO friggin' bats until DREW EFFIN' STOREN took the EFFIN ball. THEY HAD ZIP WOULD HAVE BEEN SHUT OUT.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:01 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,735,730 times
The Nats are losing NOT because of Matt Williams or the bullpen or bad calls by the umpires. They're losing because they've scored 3 runs in 27 innings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or