U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2017, 06:30 AM

4,229 posts, read 2,127,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Clubhouse pillar or not, it was a bad contract for Washington. That same money could have been spent on more productive players.
Werth was a consensus top talent in his FA class.

Quote:
Notions of intangible contributions are vague and outside confirmation tests.
Yet these are serious topics of discussion among those in any team's inner sanctum.

Quote:
I'm sure they could have found another inspiring player for a lot less than 20 million a year.
Seven years...$126 million. $10 million since deferred into an eighth year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I'm not sure about the Marlins...
I'm not either, but there is actually a lot to like about the Fish. And while there is reason to believe that the Nats are an improved club this year, the Phils and Braves may well be also, and the Mets pitching could always get and stay healthy this year. This could be a very tough division. We won't be able to afford many uninspired efforts.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:25 PM

6,534 posts, read 4,486,193 times
Default 7-5

Friday: Phillies 2 @ Nats 3 (10 innings). The much malaigned Nats bullpen allowed only 2 base runners in the final 3 innings in relief of Strasburg as the Nats walked off in the 10th on the Murphy's double. Unfortunately, that would be the only good outing for the Nats bullpen this weekend.
Saturday: Phillies 4 @ Nats 2. Well, there's the Joe Blanton we all know and love! After Chris Heisey tied the game in the 7th with a home run, Blanton gave up a 2 run homer in the 8th for the game-deciding run.
Sunday: Phillies 4 @ Nats 6. Koda Glover allowed an inherited Gio Gonzalez runner to score to tie the game at 3-3, and Blake Treinen gave up the lead in the 9th. They looked to be on pace for another series loss to Phillies, and yet ANOTHER blown loss for the bullpen before Harper bailed them out with a 2 out, 2 strike, 3 run homer to center field. Apparently, according to ESPN stats & information that was Harper's first career walk off homer with the Nationals trailing. I find that hard to believe though.

Nats make their first visit to the Braves new Park, Sun Trust Field in suburban Cobb County, GA after an off day Monday for a 3 game series beginning on Tuesday. Max Scherzer (1-1, 2.13) starts for the Nats while Mike Foltynewicz (0-1, 6.35) starts for the Braves, Joe Ross (7-5, 3.43 last season) makes his season debut for the Nats going up against Julio Teheran (1-0, 0.95) Wednesday and R.A. Dickey (1-1, 3.86) goes for the Braves against Stephen Strasburg (1-0, 3.00) for the Nats. All games begin at 7:35.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:05 PM

18,836 posts, read 7,324,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
I'm not either, but there is actually a lot to like about the Fish. And while there is reason to believe that the Nats are an improved club this year, the Phils and Braves may well be also, and the Mets pitching could always get and stay healthy this year. This could be a very tough division. We won't be able to afford many uninspired efforts.
How are they improved overall? While Turner gets a full year, IMO catching in DC was far stronger last year.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:59 AM

IMO Nats 2017 more or less the equal of Nats 2016. Very good. Mets also right there 2017.

Cubs and LA a small step ahead of each in 2017.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Apparently, according to ESPN stats & information that was Harper's first career walk off homer with the Nationals trailing. I find that hard to believe though.
Harper's three previous walk-off homers -- against the Pirates in 2013, the Mets in 2014, and the Braves in 2015 -- all came with the score tied. The one against the Mets came in the 13th inning.

This most recent one did indeed erase a string of Nats' mistakes, the first and perhaps worst of them having been the decision to let Gio start the 8th. He simply isn't that guy anymore.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
How are they improved overall?
Start with Adam Eaton. He basically takes the roster spot of Danny Espinosa, but compare and contrast to Ben Revere and Michael A Taylor anyway. Do the same for Adam Lind versus Clint Robinson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
While Turner gets a full year, IMO catching in DC was far stronger last year.
Turner even when healthy is not as good as what he showed last year. Wilson Ramos even when healthy is not a .340 hitter, nor even with his strong arm, is he necessarily a defensive asset. Matt Wieters meanwhile is still just 30 years of age, is a four-time All Star, and has two Gold Gloves. I'm not sure who you have to be in order to be "far stronger" than that.

Old 04-17-2017, 04:50 PM

3,576 posts, read 1,234,228 times
The Nats are probably the 3rd best ream in the NL behind the Cubs and Dodgers

I was a fan of the Werth signing at the time.
He probably won't quite produce commensurate with what the Nationals will pay him, but that's mostly due to less than expected production in 2011 and 2012.
In 2011, the team wasn't very good and it wasn't on Werth
In 2012, the Nationals ascended the NL East

In 2013 and 2014 Werth and the Nationals were both fantastic.

In 2015 and 2016 Werth was expected to be in the decline phase of his career, but he was worse than what would have been expected while the Nats were pretty good.

This year is to be determined.

The Nats paid Werth to be a key player during their window which opened in 2012. He probably hasn't performed quite as they expected, but he's had some impact seasons and, IMO, was more of a good signing than a bad one.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Start with Adam Eaton. He basically takes the roster spot of Danny Espinosa, but compare and contrast to Ben Revere and Michael A Taylor anyway. Do the same for Adam Lind versus Clint Robinson.

Turner even when healthy is not as good as what he showed last year. Wilson Ramos even when healthy is not a .340 hitter, nor even with his strong arm, is he necessarily a defensive asset. Matt Wieters meanwhile is still just 30 years of age, is a four-time All Star, and has two Gold Gloves. I'm not sure who you have to be in order to be "far stronger" than that.
I like Eaton, but Ramos was a key clutch cog in DC. I like Wieters, but Ramos was a far scarier force.

Turner is a future star, and IMO Nats should do what it takes to keep him, while I expect next Harper deal to not be a good one for the team getting him long term.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:34 AM

Harper and Zimmerman his grand slams in the same game. First time the Nats have done that since 2009, when it was Josh Willingham and...well, Josh Willingham
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or